Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The new Google ads

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
Don't know if this is the right place to put this, T, but figured you would see it either way.

I noticed you now have Google's Adwords at the bottom of the page. That's cool and all - nice to have some extra moolah coming in - however, I've noticed that a lot of the ads are about petstore cages. One of them today was for a "free Superpet cage" if you sign up for some deal. I'm sure this wasn't what you meant to have on there when you signed up for Adwords heh. Don't know if there's any way to get those filtered out.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I will say this is the kind of feedback we are looking for. I'm sure T will investigate it and get those petstore cage ads removed.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
By the way, here's an example so maybe you can find out what's triggering this type.

Amber23

Cavy Slave
The ads on my screen are for..

Guinea pig ringtones
Dwarf Guinea Pigs
Indiana Pig Food
Small Animal Pet supplies from Petco.

Thats some random stuff! Didn't even know there are guinea pig ringtones.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
That would be the perfect alarm clock tone, wouldn't it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The ads I've noticed are geared to what appears in the threads and what location you are in. I think there are triggers but T knows a lot more about that than I do as she was the one that set them up. Maybe she can fine tune them.

Amber23

Cavy Slave
It already is an alarm clock in my house! When they see daylight, they think its time for veggies and start yelling for me to wake up and feed them.

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Yeah, just noticed this. This is one of the sites linked:

(broken link removed)

Last edited:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Right now, I have ads for Guinea Pig ringtones, Guinea Pig Cage Prices and Guinea Pig at ask.com.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I must be lucky or something because I have no ads.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the deal. If someone clicks on a cage ad after seeing this site and being on this forum, then decides to buy one, well, then that's what they are going to do. Quite frankly, the cages are all cages that they have probably already seen in a pet store. If they decide they can't be bothered with a proper C&C cage and go with a bigger commercial one than they may have purchased in a pet store, well, it's a slight improvement.

In the meantime, from an advertising point of view, the advertisers of pet store and commercial cages are supporting my site. I also BUY google ad space on other guinea pig-related sites. I KNOW I am pulling traffic away from a few places that would prefer I didn't.

I have to be careful about what I say about google advertising because I do not want to violate their terms of service.

I am waiting for a release of some software to come out and I will move to more Search Engine Friendly links of the forum posts. After I get that installed and google has time to reindex my site, I expect the ad content to get more relevent to the threads and therefore provide more real value to the readership/membership.

There aren't THAT many guinea pig advertisers, so I don't want to block a ton of ads. I feel this site and forum can and does stand up to the competition.

Last edited:

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I must be lucky or something because I have no ads.

I think I blocked them for paying contributors.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
The ads are awful but I don't know if T has a choice about what ads are there. I'm sure she could get an ad free host IF she was willing to pay more. She already dishes out a lot every month. Between the sites and the rescue her money must be running out fast.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
The ads are awful but I don't know if T has a choice about what ads are there. I'm sure she could get an ad free host IF she was willing to pay more. She already dishes out a lot every month. Between the sites and the rescue her money must be running out fast.

I absolutely do have a choice. I have an ad-free host. But I really need the additional income to offset the huge financial investment I've made over time and continue to make. I'm trying to be sensitive to readers and members, yet still drive some additional revenue to support the site and the rescue.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
I was under the impression that you paid Google to place your ads on other peoples' sites, but maybe I'm thinking of another service. If so, where does the revenue come from?

Also, I assume it helps pay for the rescue, not the website, since webspace is so cheap anymore...

And they're not deactivated for paying members apparently... BG and I are the same level.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Ahhh, silly me, I know better. For some reason the ad placement income totally slipped out of my head.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
How does that work?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are two components to Google Ads. It takes two sides to make the model work.

Google Ad Words: Advertizers sign up to PAY for their ad. There are a variety of options and you can specify any budget you'd like.

Here is my ad that I pay for:

Awesome Guinea Pig Cages
Buy or Build--Cages, Toys & More!
Nice, Big, Easy-to-Clean & Low-Cost
(broken link removed)

Then there is Google Ad Sense where you place ads on your website and based on Google's rules, advertizers pay you for results of placing their ads on your website. Google decides, based on the content of your page, which ads to put at random on your page.

If you want more info, please read about it on Google.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
And they're not deactivated for paying members apparently... BG and I are the same level.

I believe some are and some aren't. I'm not going to change anything until I get that new software installed. Then, I'll tweak it some.

guineasqueak

Cavy Slave
Wow, there are some strange adds. Apparently I can Buy a guinea pig with free delivery at Tesco!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.