Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chins Need ideas for a chinchilla cage

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Next week I'm going to be picking up a rescued chin from a terrible owner. I have never had one before. I would like to make my own cage as the cage she is using is tiny.

Can chins be housed in a c&c cage? I would make it so the grids sit inside of the coroplast (so they can't reach it). I just wasn't sure if the space between the bars is too large or not.

I would appreciate any tips! Any good chin sites?

Thanks so much!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I have heard that they can and will chew right through any zip ties you put on the cage. Do a forum search for chinchillas as there was just some recent threads about them that would ahve ideas for you.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I have heard from numerous sources that grids shouldn't be used due to the size of the grid openings. I have also just adopted a chinchilla and have been researching cages for a week looking at comercial cages on the internet and locally and looking for ideas of making one. I have decided to make my own from wire shelving. See thread Petfinder-chinchilla in general chat. I am building this weekend I'll let you know how it goes.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I've seen chinchilla c&c cages but I don't know how well they work. You could double the grids so the holes are half as big but it would require twice as many grids. Also coroplast would likely be destroyed so you need a sturdier base or build the coro slightly larger than the grids and sets the grids inside it where the chins can't reach. Definitely use metal wire instead of zip ties or they may escape.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
SkinnyPiggys said:
Can chins be housed in a c&c cage? I would make it so the grids sit inside of the coroplast (so they can't reach it). I just wasn't sure if the space between the bars is too large or not.
You could make a C&C cage out of mesh grids from Linens 'n Things, but do not use the regular grids with 1.5" openings. These are just large enough for a chin to stick their head through, but small enough for them not to be able to pull it back out. I would err on the side of caution and buy a cage.

https://www.qualitycage.com/chinchilla.html

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Buddy is an adult (1yr. + a few months.) chin. I made an addition to his cage out of grids and he can not more get his head through it than fly to the moon. A baby can but not an adult. I just went and tried to fit his head through the squares and there is no way. His nose yes, but not his head. If you look in the gallery in other cages there is a super chin cage. I emailed her and she says her girls love it.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
SkinnyPiggys said:
Any good chin sites?

(broken link removed)

This is a great forum to start off with... it's where I first gained some actually useful information about hedehogs and have also learned some neat info about chins... good for you for stepping in and helping in such a desperate situation - and for searching out responsible information! :)

I'm sure we'd all love to hear an update about how the little one is doing, as well!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I am not on any chin forems as I am co-owner of a chin Yahoo group and busy busy right here with my pigs. But I have heard more good about (broken link removed).

wtsexton

Cavy Slave
A C&C cage would be in pieces in one single night with one Chinchilla. Mine would just die to get his teeth on some zip ties or coroplast. One time I left the blinds within reach of him, man was that a mistake.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
There are a few people on this group who have C&C cages for their chins and have no problems at all. Look in the gallery under cages for other pets. Each chin is different. My Buddy will snap off a zip-tie before I get the next one on. That is a game to him so I use heavy picture hanging wire. I enlarged his cage with left over pig grids and used wire to connect it. I have coro wrapped around the back of my cage to contain any pee and he rarely touches it. He has tons of toys and things in his cage and maybe that is why he doesn't bother the coro. I don't know. You can see his cage in my gallery. I haven't seen him chew the shelves since I first got him the cage. He has a stuffed sherpa dog toy man that he adores. He got it in January and I still haven't had to sew him. On the other hand, I can't give him a hammock. As much as he loves them, he chews the hanging parts until they give!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I have 2 chinchillas currently, and their cage is made out of melamine and wire mesh. My dad built it for me - it's huge and they adore it. It has plenty of room for them to jump and plenty of room for a wheel, too.

Here's a picture of my cage: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/Susan9608/13.jpg

I know some people have used C&C cages successfully for chinchillas, but personally, I think you're better off with smaller spaced grids (the mesh grids would be good) and sturdier material than coroplast.

Congrats on your new addition to the family. :) We'd love to see some pictures.

Last edited:

chinchillasunde

Cavy Slave
Chinchillas will chew through Zip ties in a heartbeat.
Also, spacing that big, or even close to that big, can be a hazard for a chins' legs as they are bouncing around. Martin's Cages Inc. - The source for all your pet cage needs. and (broken link removed) have some great chin cages. (broken link removed) is also a great forum for Chin owners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.