Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have a few questions?

• Thread starter suzilovespiggie
  • Start date

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ok, the vet said it was ok to introduce Jackie to Jamie, under supervision.
When I tried, all Jackie was interested in doing was mounting her. (She was spayed 2 weeks ago.) She was frightened so I put her back in her own area. I was going to neuter Jamie, but I canceled when I found out she was spayed.
Does Jaime still need to be neutered to stop this mounting behavior, or is this something he will do all the time? Is it a dominence thing like with the GP's?
Reading on Rabbit.org, they need a friend, so that is why I adopted a friend for Jamie. What do I do for them to be friends? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Suzi

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
Mounting is a dominance behaviour as well as a sexual behaviour for the bun , getting him nuetered will help, but even nuetered buns will exhibit the mounting dominance behaviour.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Will it settle down so they can become friends? Should I leave them alone (with me there) to settle things amoungst themselves? Is it like the GP's you seperate them if there is bloodshed?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
The mounting behavior will be greatly lessened with neutering, and after they are bonded to each other it should only happen very rarely. My advice would be to neuter him, then wait about 3-4 weeks for his hormones to calm down, then start bonding them again. During the bonding process, expect to see some more mounting but he should calm down once he gets used to her (and her to him).

I would not leave them alone together until he has stopped constantly humping her and she has accepted him (which is probably not going to happen until he is neutered). I have seen females with their backs all cut up and lots of fur missing because their previous owners kept them in with an unneutered male.

Some good signs to watch for during the bonding process include grooming each other, or ignoring each other, or not bothering each other for long periods of time.

Seperate them immediately if there is any sign of fighting, even before one gets hurt.

suzilovespiggie said:
Will it settle down so they can become friends? Should I leave them alone (with me there) to settle things amoungst themselves? Is it like the GP's you seperate them if there is bloodshed?

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I have a male and female rabbit, BOTH are neutered. The only time he humped her was 2weeks after he had the chop, I didn't give him enough time to "calm down". Now they never hump eachother! It is best to get rabbits neutered, males tend to spray!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. I am setting up an appt. for him.

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I agree... definitely best to have the male neutered. My buns did not bond until after they were both spayed/neutered. It didn't take long after either... now they are two peas in a pod! Definitely worth it!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I agree with everything BunnyLuv said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.