Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Playground

Amy&Ginger

Cavy Slave
Hi
I've seen those playground/activity centers for hamsters/mice etc. and thought they were really neat.like this-> (broken link removed) I've noticed that Super Pet makes something similar to that for ferrets with colorful tubes like this->javascript:open_zoomwindow('https:/...ast_id=2534374302023695&bmUID=1149632402339')

I think these would be great for my guinea pig but they are sort of expensive in my opinion. Does anyone have any suggestions for gymnasiums I could make like this? Is there any materials I could substitute to make something similar to this? Also, if anyone knows of any play gyms/activity centers I could buy for my guinea pig, I would be open to those ideas too! Thanks!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I just use all sort of different boxes. Shoe boxes make great tunnels, so do old oatmeal containers. You can arrange them in sort of a track for them and switch it up every day to keep it interesting.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You can also get PVC pipe or drainage pipe that you can cut to different lengths to use for your piggies to play in. MUCH cheaper than the ferret tubes.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I have some of those coloured tubes but I don't think they're big enough for adult guinea pigs. My piggies like cardboard houses but they eat them. Is this safe?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Amy I want those tunnels also but like you, I think they are way over priced. I have the ball for my chin when he used to have floor time. (he chews everything so I had to stop it). We walked all over Lowe's looking for a substitute. There are many things out there but we want to see them in the tunnels. There is a picture in the gallery with a huge clear plastic thing that the pig owner says came from her hubby's aquarium stuff. We went to Pet Smart, and the plumbing section of Lowe's. Nothing. I just got Drs. Foster and Smith's aquarium catalog and nothing. I was looking too! I want clear Plexiglas tubing for tunnels.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Maisiepaisie said:
My piggies like cardboard houses but they eat them. Is this safe?

Mine do too. I haven't had any problems yet.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have several pieces of 4" pvc pipe in different shapes. I have an elbow, a T, a Y and some lengths of straight pipe. I put them into different configurations all the time and adult pigs can fit in them pretty darn well. I use them in the cage and for floortime as well. I've bought most of my fancy pieces either at Lowe's or Home Depot and they were around or under $3 each. My dad had some straight 4" pvc pipe that he cut into different lengths for me so that saved me money too.

I also use smaller sized pvc pipe for the gerbils as they will chew up any regular type hamster tubing.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I made a PVC pipe maze for my pigs a while back. They had fun, but got so dirty from the smeared poop and pee in there.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Luckily PVC is plastic and can be scrubbed out or thrown in the dishwasher to be cleaned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I just check them daily and wipe/wash them down as needed. Any pee or poo that gets on them is very easily washed off.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
My mum bought my lot a "Bunny Warren" from SPH supplies this week. The pigs love it. Basically they are a larger, bendy version of the ferret tubes (which may lot had but grew too big for when they were less than a year old). I have pics; I will get them on tonite.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Okay, here are the pictures:

This Bunny Warren:-

Extends to 30";
Compresses to 8";
Bends round into a curve;
Chew-resistant;
Plastic - so eay to clean;
Can be attached to more Bunny Warren's to create very long tunnels and mazes;

And is from www.sphsupplies.co.uk!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Awww, Tuppy! That looks like loads of fun, my pigs love tunnels.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Try taking different boxes and cutting a hole in the side of them, then put some pvc pipe in the hole.

Merry

Cavy Slave
Cavy-cool-crazy - I love that tunnel! It seems like there is so much nicer a selection of large hideouts and tunnels in the UK than there is here in the states. A friend of mine from England sent me a wonderful cloth rabbit tunnel with entrances on both ends, and one on the side. It all folds neatly up into a small bag, so it's great for taking places, and the pigs love it. It also washes really well in the washing machine. I'll have to post some pictures later.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
cavy-cool-crazy said:
This Bunny Warren:-

Extends to 30";
Compresses to 8";
Bends round into a curve;
Chew-resistant;
Plastic - so eay to clean;
Can be attached to more Bunny Warren's to create very long tunnels and mazes;

And is from [URL="https://www.sphsupplies.co.uk!"]www.sphsupplies.co.uk![/URL]

AHH That thing is so awesome! It's like a bendy straw! Without the straw... I think you should put fleece on the bottom because they have a pee puddle in there.

Last edited by a moderator:

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
What great ideas! Thanks everyone. And by the way, why is Tuppy so darn cute??!?!?!?!!!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Because she's a princess. All princesses are bootiful.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I think, and I wouldn't say this lightly, that Tuppy is the most beautiful pig I've ever seen. Maybe tied with Weaver's Oreo (RIP).

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I think many people would agree with you. She has her own fan club! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.