Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia long ramble - looking for used coroplast (location: Melbourne CBD)?

lilychin

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I've just gotten a cute little wabbit with round ears! (hee hee that's what I heard this guy tell his kids at the pet store)

Start from the beginning:
My (current) guinea pig is around 4 months old now and is getting kinda heavy. I used to keep her in a television cardboardbox and just line the sides with entire newspapers - there was enough room for her to move around a bit but like we all know, that's not the way to go. So I set about building a 2x3 grid cage (they sell IBEX cubes x5 for $8 aT bunnings; but the reject shop sells around 23grids for $30 - i bought x10 from BUNNINGS before I new about the 23 grid offer. ArGH. Does anyone in Melbourne wanna share the cubes?). I couldn't find any sign store near the CBD which stocks misprints (haha) and would give me free corflute soooooooooooo my question here is:

Q: WHERE CAN I FIND USED CORFLUTE (DISCOUNTED IF NOT FREE) TO MAKE A BOTTOM FOR MY GUINEA PIG'S CAGE? (Melbourne, near CBD)

Second part of ramble: I got a baby guinea pig from the pet store (not sure how old, they said 4 weeks but erm... it can escape via the holes in the cube grids - so that makes two PIGs. Due to space constraints in my living area, I can't make the cage area more than 2x3. Would it be ok to build a double level for two young cavies???

Thanks very muchy

ps: another thing. we got a notice in the mail saying that we would be evicted for having pets. i got the feeling i signed a no-pet agreement without realising it. so i went through the clauses and it says that the landlord should not allow animals on the premises and for the tenants it says that we should clean up after animals on the premises. (what the?)

Last edited:

icesprite

Cavy Slave
Try calling a real estate agent about corflute. They go through big signs all the time, praps they will let you have a couple of old signs.

While your pig is still small, you can either put a strip of cardboard around the sides of the cage so that it can't get out or put another lot of grids in so they overlap with the cage grids. That makes absolutely no sense does it?

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Im not sure than a guinea pig would be the same as having a dog or cat.
If you plan on letting him/her out and theres a chance it may do damage
you should get theyre permission but if in a enclosed house with no impact on the premises i wouldnt bother.
Its like having a bird in a cage, what harm can they do?? Or a fishtank etc.

Im in the same situation , only my real estate said it was fine to get a dog even thou
i never wanted one.. so i got guinea's instead...(without asking)
I could just play dumb & say,. Oh, isnt it a puppy lol...Wheres my glasses!~!
lmao

Poohbear
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
To keep the pig from escaping, double grid the entire cage. I don't know about Aus, but are there any sign shops near you where you can purchase the corflute? I think it will be great if you can find some free or discounted.

I know here in the States, most landlords that won't allow dogs/cats will allow small caged animals. Mine does. I would actually call your landlord and ask.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
don"t know if this will help as I'm in brisbane,however we have a place called REVERSE GARBAGE. It has heaps of corostuff in different sizes. Industry shops theatre groups warehouses (everywhere!) brings stuff there to be recycled- and its cheap!!!!!!!!

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Another idea I've used is to keep an eye on the big industrial bins near the signwriters!

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Another alternative is to go to a sign printing shop and ask for their corflute supplier's details. I got a huge sheet of corflute for only $10. I think the supplier thought I was a bit weird, but it was worth it.

Alanas

Cavy Slave
PEOPLE! I have used coroplast/coroflute. I work in the Students Union and we have heaps of signs that we don't use. You want it? It is in SYDNEY

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.