PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint should I use?

lilmasweet
05-25-06, 07:29 am
I want to make some wood toys for my gp's but am not sure what kind of paint to use?

Sabriel
05-25-06, 08:01 am
You could make a dye from fruit and veggie juice. Carrot for orange, pomagranites for red, blue berries for blue.

That's the only sure fire non toxic way I know of. It may make the toys more appealing as well.

lilmasweet
05-25-06, 08:07 am
Thanks Sabriel, I think I'll try that.

lilmasweet
05-25-06, 08:56 am
What about food coloring?

Percy's Mom
05-25-06, 11:51 am
Honestly, you'll probably find that they ignore the wooden toys. Most pigs that I've heard of including mine don't normally chew on the wood. You might want to try cutting tunnels out of cardboard boxes, making springs from toilet paper tubes, balls of paper, or a paper lunch bag stuffed with hay for them to play with.

pink piggy lips
05-28-06, 05:48 am
Honestly, you'll probably find that they ignore the wooden toys. Most pigs that I've heard of including mine don't normally chew on the wood. You might want to try cutting tunnels out of cardboard boxes, making springs from toilet paper tubes, balls of paper, or a paper lunch bag stuffed with hay for them to play with.

So true! I used to think my pigs were the weird ones for not getting into the wooden toys. There is one little wooden toy with a bell in it they play with--but, they throw it around, not chew on it. Which makes it even more important that they get plenty of long stemmed hay to wear down those incizors.

aqh88
05-28-06, 07:43 pm
Mine don't even chew on wooden houses. Out of 9 there are maybe 2 or 3 that will chew the bark off fiddlesticks or apple branches but they won't chew wood that has been cut, sanded, or is lacking the bark layer. Even then you can barely tell they've touched the fiddlesticks. Guinea pigs don't chew on wood as much as other rodents. You'd be better off just giving them some apple branches or branches from other safe trees.

JennG
05-28-06, 10:29 pm
I'm sure you guys have seen this too. My girls prefer to chew on the plastic pigloos and step stool than the wooden toys and fiddlestix. They also LOVE the paper towel/toilet paper rolls, too.

PiggieMom
05-28-06, 10:42 pm
Mine knaw on the wooden hidey houses every once and a while but they love the cardboard and paper so much more. They ignored the apple branches I got them.

My Baby Mu
05-28-06, 11:13 pm
Mine tasted the wooden toys, but that stopped their. They are uninterested in them. They do like the bell on the ends though.

ErdTirdMans
05-30-06, 12:23 pm
I'm lucky, mine love chewing their hidey house. It's convenient because I got one with a window hole that wouldn't really be big enough for them now that they've grown up a bit. However, they've gone and made sure it's bigger.