PDA

View Full Version : I want to become a vegetarian but I have one question.

Tulia&Susie
05-24-06, 01:41 pm
Hello- Well I have been off and on and have finally talked to my mother about it and I want to become a vegetarian. My question is when everyone started did u go to a doctor? Like to ask him. I'm in highschool, so mom wants to make sure im getting enough protein. But when you guys started, did you do a little bit at a time or just do it all? Thank-you for your time.

Charlie's_mamma
05-24-06, 02:23 pm
I'll admit the day after I became a veggie I had some meat but after that it was cold veggie turkey (yea corny I know)

You can still get protein in eggs, milk, etc. Unless you want to be a vegan then I'm not sure because I'm only a vegetarian. Good luck! If you need some brands of food that are vegetarian let me know.

Tulia&Susie
05-24-06, 02:28 pm
Thank-you so much. I haven't had any meat since saturday but mom wants me to eat meat like three days a week until we get to the doctor. I would love some brands that would really help me out.

Sabriel
05-24-06, 02:39 pm
Most doctors know little about nutrition. You would be better off going to someone who specializes in that area, not a general doctor.

Not eating meat for a week really isn't going to make you rapidly decline. I would just start going veg now and suppliment with soy meat which has a ton of easier to digest protien. A good multi-vitamin wouldn't hurt either.

Do you live in Canada or the US? That will really help with the brand of food help since they are different in both places.

2pigs4rats
05-24-06, 03:45 pm
Nope, I didn't do to the doctor since most doctors tend to advise against it because they don't really seem to understand that we do not need meat in our diet. I did however do a lot of research on the internet to find out what foods to eat for protein etc. There is lots of protein in fake meats and fake meat is much better for you since it is less fat than regular meat. Also if you are not becoming vegan, dairy products such as milk, cheese and eggs are high in protein, aswell as nuts and beans.
Good luck in becoming veggie! It's a good choice to make!

Susan9608
05-24-06, 04:25 pm
Medical doctors do not get a lot of training (if any) in nutrition. If you want to consult someone about planning a healthy vegetarian diet, contact a registered dietician (RD). Ask your mom to check with your insurance company; most companies will pay for the services of an RD, and she/he can help you figure out exactly what balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fats you need, plus make recommendations on how to prepare foods and what brands to buy.

You can look through your insurance company to find an RD or your doctor can recommend one, or you can ask the American Dietetic Association for a list of RDs in your area.

I think it's a good thing to consult someone to help you plan a good diet, particularly if you're still a child/teen-ager and don't have the facilities to supply all of your food yourself. I quit eating meat when I was 10. My mom told me, "Eat what you want, but this is not a restaurant," and she wouldn't fix anything in particular for me to replace the meat. I used to fill up on junk food (because I'd still be hungry after only eating mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner), so I developed a weight problem that has plagued me my entire life.

I don't regret becoming a vegetarian, though; in fact, I still consider that to be one of the best things I've ever done. It's a very good and very brave decision you're making. Best of luck to you.

suzilovespiggie
05-25-06, 01:05 pm
I am a vegetarian not a vegan. I use alot of Morning Star and Boca brands. I use both fat free milk and soy milk, vanilla and chocolate. My eggs are from a neighbor that raises her chickens naturally.
I am not sick often at all. I have a hypo-thyroid problem but that is not from foods. I do have allergies from dust, perfume and chemicals but those have been at a minimum if I stay away from the triggers.
Good luck. It is a decision you will not regret.

bromers
05-25-06, 01:35 pm
My mom told me, "Eat what you want, but this is not a restaurant," and she wouldn't fix anything in particular for me to replace the meat. I used to fill up on junk food (because I'd still be hungry after only eating mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner), so I developed a weight problem that has plagued me my entire life.

The same thing happened to me but after a while I sort of thought I am old enough to cook I will just do it myself. It is harder I think when your a kid to give up then when your an adult because your parents still controle you but it is worth it.

Piglet
05-25-06, 01:35 pm
I went to the doctors last week (been vegetarian for a year and a half) and told him that I have been feeling extremely tired since becoming one. The only thing he said was to have a blood test - that way you can see if you're seriously lacking in protein/vitamins.

Tulia&Susie
05-25-06, 02:59 pm
Thank-you everyone. Well I'm pretty sure my mom said that my doctor was going to scheldule me with someone special for that to tell me more about it. I live in the US so if any of you know any good brands that would help me a lot.

Tatalp
05-25-06, 03:15 pm
If you aren't going vegan, Morningstar and Boca are good brands. If you're going vegan, the only good fake meat I can think of it Health Is Wealth, whick make really good "buffalo wings". There is also a brand called Amy's that makes veggie and vegan meals, but most aren't fake meat.

Tulia&Susie
05-25-06, 03:19 pm
So for Mourningstar and Boca you can find them right in a grocery store?

Percy's Mom
05-25-06, 03:31 pm
Yep, usually in the freezer section.

suzilovespiggie
05-25-06, 03:51 pm
I have found Morningstar in WalMart, Costco and in our health food stores in town. Boca I have found in mostly our health food store.

Charlie's_mamma
05-25-06, 04:22 pm
You guys beat me to it! I LOVE morning star it's like the coolest brand ever! I also have some Amy's stuff too really good.

poozillas41
05-25-06, 05:54 pm
Question. I wouldnt mind becoming a vegetarian, but could I still eat crabs and shrimp? Or would that be a like "violation" or something. I have grown up in MD so I eat them a lot! Please help!

Tulia&Susie
05-25-06, 06:13 pm
Ok thanks. I really want to thank you for everything!!! Hopefully everything will go by well and I will be a successful vegetarian :)

Charlie's_mamma
05-25-06, 06:24 pm
Question. I wouldnt mind becoming a vegetarian, but could I still eat crabs and shrimp? Or would that be a like "violation" or something. I have grown up in MD so I eat them a lot! Please help!
My definition of being a vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat any type of animal, but hey it's up to you. If you want to eat crabs and shrimp go right ahead no ones stopping you!

Good luck Tulia&Susie and you're welcome.

Tulia&Susie
05-25-06, 06:31 pm
Thanks so much for everything everyone. :)

poozillas41
05-25-06, 06:59 pm
Okay. Thanks! Maybe I can eventually "wean" myself off of those too. Wish me luck!

Charlie's_mamma
05-25-06, 07:00 pm
Good luck hun!

If any of you new veggies need advice let me know!

Tatalp
05-25-06, 07:22 pm
The correct term for eatibf no poultry or red meat, but still eating seafood is "pescetarian". Vegetarians don't eat seafood. But, with my Dad's side of the family being from Md, I know that you guys do eat a lot of seafood!

PiggieMamaKelly
05-25-06, 10:55 pm
I am a vegetarian, but from time to time I will eat shrimp, and I will also eat ceasar salad dressing which is made with anchovies. I suppose people would say I'm a pescatarian but I do not call myself that because I don't eat large fish. My reasoning is, I generally do not eat animals because I do not like to cause animals pain. I do not believe that shrimp or fish as small as anchovies, have brains big enough to feel pain. I'm not actually even sure if shrimp have brains, I think they may only have a peripheral nervous system. I don't avoid meat just for the sake of avoiding meat, I avoid it because it USUALLY causes animals to suffer, which I do not want to be a part of, and I don't think shrimp suffer. I am open to hearing opinions on this, I'm sure many of you have rebuttals. This has just been my take on the issue.

Weatherlight
05-25-06, 11:18 pm
I do recall reading that shrimp are sentient and have CNS. As for small fishes...when I was little, I kept young guppies and zebra danios and neon tetras and the like. They do have CNS. They do avoid pain. They do school with each other. Just because they're small doesn't mean they deserve abuse or slaughter. Sure, a zebra danio is much smaller than a tuna fish...like cavies are much smaller than blue whales. I don't think it matters, so long as they have enough space in there for nerves and a brain. If you're interested, you can google about it. That's what I did when I was unsure about insects (my conclusion was that perhaps not all insect species are sentient, but some certainly are, and better safe than a murderer).

And part of the argument in favor of veganism is need. I don't need to kill insects--I can use non-lethal bug repellant, and if a mosquito decides I seem tasty if I go outside without it, I can blow her away. Likewise, I don't need to eat shrimps.

Tulia&Susie
05-28-06, 04:00 pm
I had a Boca burger and I can't tell the difference. My mom is going to call this week so if any of you have any good tips about anything. Please inform me. :) Thank-you

Charlie's_mamma
05-28-06, 08:10 pm
What kind of tips do you need?

Tulia&Susie
05-28-06, 08:39 pm
How you guys followed through because it's going to be hard. And I was wondering how easy it was for you and what are some things that helped you.

Tatalp
05-28-06, 09:03 pm
My entire family is just about as stubborn as you can get, so I just said that I would go vegetarian, and nothing could stop me.
I think that it would be a good idea to eat fake meat to ease the transition to vegetarian, because it might help reduce cravings.

Charlie's_mamma
05-28-06, 10:10 pm
How you guys followed through because it's going to be hard. And I was wondering how easy it was for you and what are some things that helped you.
I'll admit I get cravings sometimes to eat meat but then I picture in my head how they're slaughtered and it gets rid of my cravings easily. Just remember that not everyone knows what they're talking about when it comes to vegetarians so be prepared for VERY stupid questions.

Percy's Mom
05-30-06, 06:34 am
Sort of off topic, but everytime I see that there is a new post to this thread, I always read the title as "I want to become a veterinarian but I have one question." and think "Why is someone talking about becoming a vet in the veggie part of the forum?"

OK, continue with your conversation now. I just felt the need to interject.

Tulia&Susie
05-30-06, 05:05 pm
I thought this was on the vegetarian form?

Percy's Mom
05-30-06, 08:00 pm
It is.
That was a joke.
I can't read apparently.

BabyGrl
05-31-06, 06:46 am
Geez PM just learn to read already.

Whit23ney
06-05-06, 07:15 pm
I don't know much about nurition....I guess doctor's are retarded. A couple of years ago I wanted to be a vegetarian but I'm hypoglycemic and anemic. My doctor strictly forbid me from beig vegetarian.....not even sure what his reasons were. He said it would be very bad for me. Since then I've pretty much forgotten about the idea. I get sick every time I try to change my diet. One time I tried to go without any fast food for a month and I got so sick from the lack of sugar in my diet I passed out. Crazy.

cavyinhawaii
06-10-06, 02:58 pm
use
Cottage cheese
cheese
beans
eggs
milk
soy based products like tofu
These all have a lot of protein

PeruRodent
06-10-06, 02:59 pm
BEAEEEANS! Beans have protien! Eat beeeans!

Weatherlight
06-12-06, 10:16 am
Vegans get plenty of protein. If you eat a varied diet and enough calories, I can pretty much guarantee you won't have protein deficiency.

Humans need about 5 - 15% of their calories as protein. Broccoli has over 50%. Even potatoes have about 10%. You could eat nothing but potatoes for the rest of your life, and get "enough protein" (but you'd be deficient in a lot of other things).

Just try to eat different kinds of plant foods (in a time period of about 18 hours) to get enough of all the essential amino acids. Grains tend to be high in some and low in others, while vegetable tend to be high in some others and low in others, etc. If you eat, say, whole wheat bread and peanut butter in the same day, there's "complete protein." If you eat carrots and peas, etc.