Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Issues with KMs Bluegrass Hay

Geneva

Cavy Slave
Has anyone else recently ordered bluegrass from KMs? I have ordered it before and it was always great, but this recent batch I received about a week ago seems to have lots of hard stick-like things in it, some of which have little stickers on them. I have to pick them out when I give the pigs their hay, and there seems to be at least one stick in each handful, which is turning out to be quite a bit. I'm not sure whether or not they're harmful to the pigs, but I'm trying to be on the safe side and assuming they are harmful.

I had heard that she had this problem with her Timothy hay, but hadn't heard that the problem was with the bluegrass as well. I have emailed her, but thought I'd check to see if anyone else had noticed this as well.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Yes, my bluegrass, alfalfa mix was like that as well. I only ordered 9lbs though so I was not worried about it. Well, I just placed another order and I should be receiving it tommorrow. This one is 45 lbs of bluegrass, I am now worried.

She is really great about backing up her product, but I agree totally with you, the last batch is awful and full of hard sticks. They are everywhere and I also have been weeding though the hay sorting it out and not feeding those to my baby.

You should pull all of them out of the hay before feeding. Without a doubt a pig could lose a eye with those.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
She has been having a bit of a problem with tumbleweeds in the hay.

Let her know and she will most likely send you out a new batch.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
I had ordered a 35# box of timothy/bluegrass mix about a month ago. I have yet to expierence any issues with it. I have found a few sticks but nothing that had made me concerned. Maybe I was lucky with the batch that I got.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.