Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here... have questions!!

willy5

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone... I'm new here and with Piggys.. need to ask questions that have already been asked several times.. (Sorry)!! I have 2 different guineas, both females...one is short haired/black and very huge (fat) Pepper... other one is brown/short/haired with a mohawk.. CoCo.. a few of my questions are: the fat one doesnt want to do anything but eat...i take them out almost daily and give them floor time.. either outside or inside in their playpen.. all they do when i take them out is sit there... dont move around, run or anything.. i have 5 cats who used to play with them but the newness of getting the piggys have worn off for the cats and they dont play with them anymore.. How can i get them to get some excerise???? we built a cage for them.. 3 levels.. but they wouldnt go downstairs (too steep we think) so we closed off the basement and they just have 2 levels...I have read so many differnt advice about bedding and litter training.. i really just dont know what to do??? I want to give them the best... my cage doesnt look like the pictures i see on here.. I guess I should go get a bunch of hay and fill the cage with it so they can eat it but at the same time.. play in it.. is there anything else i can do to get Pepper to lose some weight and make them both more active.... thanks

Lynn

willy5

Cavy Slave
I have one more question... what about putting towels in the cage?? do I and how many and what kind?? do they like to play with them or eat them or is it just for bedding??? thanks for helping...

Lynn

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
Towels would be okay, if you really want to wash a ton of towels all the time. I'd suggest hay. You can get it by the bale at a farm supply store for only $20! (and it fills up 2 clean garbage cans, which lasts a LONG time!)

Treen

Cavy Slave
Have a look at the toys page for loads of safe ideas on how to get them playing around and active https://guineapigcages.com/toys.htm. The floortime page might be useful too https://guineapigcages.com/floortime.htm.

And take a peek at the bedding page for lots of information about different types of bedding that might suit you and your pigs. https://guineapigcages.com/bedding.htm. Different things work best for different people - once you've tried a few things you'll find what's best for you.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
floor time

willy5 said:
Hello everyone... I'm new here and with Piggys.. need to ask questions that have already been asked several times.. (Sorry)!! I have 2 different guineas, both females...one is short haired/black and very huge (fat) Pepper... other one is brown/short/haired with a mohawk.. CoCo.. a few of my questions are: the fat one doesnt want to do anything but eat...i take them out almost daily and give them floor time.. either outside or inside in their playpen.. all they do when i take them out is sit there... dont move around, run or anything.. i have 5 cats who used to play with them but the newness of getting the piggys have worn off for the cats and they dont play with them anymore.. How can i get them to get some excerise???? we built a cage for them.. 3 levels.. but they wouldnt go downstairs (too steep we think) so we closed off the basement and they just have 2 levels...I have read so many differnt advice about bedding and litter training.. i really just dont know what to do??? I want to give them the best... my cage doesnt look like the pictures i see on here.. I guess I should go get a bunch of hay and fill the cage with it so they can eat it but at the same time.. play in it.. is there anything else i can do to get Pepper to lose some weight and make them both more active.... thanks

Lynn
Look at my site (cornhill) in the members section and look at my piggies racetrack. That is their floortime everynight. Believe me, they chase each other around in it everynight. So they are getting plenty of exercise. One day I'm going to make Mpegs of them.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I've have only had two guinea pigs - both males. My first one, Puzzle, would just sit like a lump whenever I gave him his floor time. Maybe he would come up to get in my lap, but that is it. Cujo, on the other hand loves to run laps and play and pocorn all over the place. I guess it is a personality thing - just like with people. Some are lazy and some are energetic. Just keep encouraging play time and hope for some bursts of energy!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.