Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Tony Blair Disgrace

bee1101

Cavy Slave
I trust you have all seen in the news over the last day or so that our Prime Minister Tony Blair has given his support to animal testing. This is a disgrace. Unfortunately, I do not believe the Torys or Lib Dems have a different policy on the matter. Therefore I will have to find another party to vote for in the European and next National Elections.
What are people's views on this? Has Blair lost your support? I have already e-mailed the Labour Party to express my disgust and to tell them I am withdrawing my support. I would urge UK members here to do the same.

Long Live Piggies! Better than Humans could ever be!
:)

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I am not old enough to vote yet but thanks to what has just happened I will deffinately not be voting for him when I turn 18! I never liked tony blair anyway!

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use the appropriate words to describe Tony Blair on here haha.
I am sooooo anti-animal testing and could rant on forever about why it is cruel and shouldn't be allowed.
I'm so pleased to see that the Newchurch guinea pig breeding hellhole has finally been closed down, its a shame that there are still more out there.

Kat

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I was disgusted by that too. I've always had my suspicions about Mr Blair. I have always said, ever since I was old enough to understand voting, I won't want to vote because everything the politicians say are lies. Not once have I seen them do anything they say they will on their campaigns before the elections. Nothing being done about climate change, nothing being done about "yobs" etc.

Is anyone going to watch Dispatches:Mad About Animals on Channel 4 at 8pm tonite? They actually have piggies featured on it, with their owners talking about how dear they are and how could anyone abuse them etc.
Have you seen the ads on the back of some magazine covers too? The most adorable, beautiful guinea pig with the caption "To Die For" and the details of the Dispatches program. I am watching it if only to see the piggles!

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
Oohh I just checked the tv listings, I didn't know about that, thanks :) .
I can watch tv on my computer so if anyone wants any footage/pics from the program I can get some.

Kat

muffin

Cavy Slave
Tony Blair is a joke. He and his wife are greedy, they are an embarrassment and a disgrace. they take any freebie offered and more. No class whatsoever. Labour have done nothing good. Things have gotten worse. And don't get me started on Gordon Brown. He's riding on a wave of economic growth, he didn't do that, manufacturers and producers did. People who bother to save their money can be taxed three times on it if they leave it to their loved ones in a will. Once when they get it, and then whilse they're saving it, and again when it is passed on. They can even sell pensioners houses to pay for their medical care, if they don't know to sign some ofrm in time, whilst the person in the next bed could have spent every penny they ever got, and gets the same treatment. All the while the taxpayer picks up a massive bill for all the sponges that teh labour party encourages. Seriously, look back over time, every time the conservatives have been in power they have done stuff that set foundations for people to benefit, and then when labour get in, they screw it up, and the conservatives are left to pick up the pieces, which makes them look bad. The conservatives don't have a strong enough candidate, and it's a serious possibility people will vote BNP because a lot of their poloicies are what poeple want. Not the racism stuff, but things like controls in immigration. I can't grudge people wanting to come here for a better life, but it's happening way too fast. And so many people coming in just want to sit around on benefits, as if we don't have enough natives who do that.

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
I've been able to vote for the last 10 years but I've only voted once and that was for BNP.

Kat

GEMMACOOPS

Cavy Slave
Well said Muffin, he's completely useless! I dont vote for him.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
The problem with not voting is that your "voice" is never heard. If you don't vote, in my opinion, you do not have the right to complain about our polititions. After all, you didn't bother fighting for a change and silently accepted who runs things and how they do it.

Voting is extremely important. I certainly hope that those who can vote and choose not to change their minds to help make a difference.

I agree that there is never a 100% great candidate but usually there is a choice of less evil.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Yeah, you should vote, but sometimes the voting station for your area is in such a dangerous neddy place you don't dare go! Vote by post (if you think you can trust that)!

bee1101

Cavy Slave
I knew about that programme that is on, but I daren't watch it because I think it might upset me too much.
I seem to remember when the Blairs came into Downing Street they kicked out the Cat who had been living there for ages. For me there is a simple character test for people, if they don't love animals then they are selfish people and not someone I'd want to associate with.
The problem is, you can't vote Tory, they want to bring back fox hunting. I think the BNP is a decent alternative in that it shocks the main parties into action. Lets face it, the BNP aren't going to get into power, but they, or the Greens, can be a good protest vote.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Well said VJ.

My family have always voted by post via my grandmother's address, since we haven't a stable home. We always move on to a new address within months or a couple of years at the most.
Currently we are in Northern Ireland. Ballymena would be where we would have to go to vote and that is out of bounds for a while now since the sectarian murder of the 15 year old boy.

I watched the Dispatches program. It was, how shall I put it. Enlightening? Shocking? I don't think I can get a word to sum it up. The first 20 minutes were focused on the protests about the Newchurch GP Farm then it switched to the new animal testing lab being built in Oxford. I know only too well how it gets people so angry - as most of us do - but protesting and screaming at the top of your voices doesn't actually acheive anything. All we can do is educate our children and everyone who will listen by more sensible means - like lots of literature and images.

muffin

Cavy Slave
I watched up until the lady called Gail was reconsidering whether the protests as they were were helping or hindering. The attitudes of the protesters were portrayed by the programme as being violent and often unreasonable. I have to say that the programme didn't make it seem like these protests achieved anything. The people involved in them didn't represent a cross-section of society, and I have to say having seen what can go on, especially how quickly violence erupted, I doubt that a cross-section of society would join such a march. I think comsumer power is the strongest tool against animal testing, as well as writing to companies to say why we won't buy their products, otherwise they'll just think they're not advertising enough.

Speaking of attitudes of animal activists, I was in the Body Shop today, and the shop assistant was saying that individuals have actually gone in and yelled at them for the L'oreal takeover. It's not their fault. She said that L'oreal isn't as bad anymore and that's why they were allowed to do the takeover, but I'm still not happy about them. Anyway, cruelty free shopping efforts start here.

bromers

Cavy Slave
Is anyone going to watch Dispatches:Mad About Animals on Channel 4 at 8pm tonite?

My friend entered me in for that because of Bromers.

I think what he said was disgusting and it sounds mean put I can't wait for one more Fathers for justice to come bomb him with flour.

If you do not vote your voice is not heard that’s why I do intend to vote when I can but never for Labour, I have never liked his policies and I knew he looks dodgy

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
Don't get me started. I don't care what anyone says, animal testing is wrong, period. Why should animals have to suffer just to save human lives? what makes human lives more important than animal lives? If animals could talk and voice their opinions would they still be tested upon?

Kat

bromers

Cavy Slave
Have any of you actually considered that without animal testing, certain drugs or medical procedures would not exist,

In some ways I can totally agree with this but some animal testing is totally pointless stupid and done for fun. I saw some pictures of animal testing where they inserted like a plug into a rabbits brian to see if it could conduct eletricity. Then it died slowly.

Trolly mc troll, I find that name funny

bee1101

Cavy Slave
That assumes human lives are more important than animal ones, and that is something I totally disagree with.

Last edited by a moderator:

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
Well said :)

Kat

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Because this is a private forum and we have people of almost every belief and religion as members, we do not allow any religious references in discussions.

Becky cavy mad

Cavy Slave
pffffft Tony Blair more like Tony Blah!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.