Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Helloooooooo!

mzmerize

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I fell across this site months ago but only joined a few days ago and will be adding pics in the weeks to come. This place gave me all the ideas I needed for a much larger cage than shop bought!
I was just wondering if there are many UK users, if so please say hi as I'm looking for UK suppliers of food and bedding etc. But that doesn't mean I'm excluding worldwide peeps hehe!
I think I have posh piggies, they tend to push their dry mix aside all day as they know when I get home from work there'll be a feast of fresh goodness! They still wolf their hay down, but is there anyway I can get them to eat the cereal and pellet mix?! I just want to ensure they're getting everything they could possibly need inside them!
Aaaaand!! Is there an alterative to wood shavings?! I see mention of care fresh and wood pellets on here, what are they and where can I find them! Could possibly have different names here in the UK as I am strugglin to find anything suitable for GP's.
:melodrama oh such a ramble haha!

Thanks in advance :cheerful:

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
Hi There. Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few people here from the UK. I am in South Wales.
The link below is of a thread about UK suppliers. Hope it helps.
https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16657

An alternative for your bedding you could use fleece which alot of people on here use.
Also depending on the age of your piggies and as long as they are getting plenty of fresh veg and hay they don't have to eat all their pellets ( older members please correct me if I am wrong), and a plain pellet is more suitable than a cereal mix.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!!

mzmerize

Cavy Slave
Brilliant, thank you! :) ..I live high rise in Leeds and grow grass on my windowsil in substrate filled containers and have just found a refill on one of those sites from your link! You've been a great help already, and I'll be sure to check the other sites out too as good quality hay is hard to find round here..

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
You can get samples of hay from some of the site. It would be worth doing that and go with the one your piggies enjoy most.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They still wolf their hay down, but is there anyway I can get them to eat the cereal and pellet mix?! I just want to ensure they're getting everything they could possibly need inside them!
They need plain pellets only, no cereals and no pellet mixes. Cereals and grains are hard for them to digest.

mzmerize

Cavy Slave
The dry food currently is a bowl of pellets and a bowl of Gerty Guinea Pig dry mix which has flaked peas and maize etc. I've tried to cater for every need but they only eat select bits and don't touch the pellets anymore, perhaps if I remove the Gerty mix they will eat the pellets! I just never like to risk it incase they don't eat anything at all while I'm at work!

Their fresh veg dish includes: carrot, cucumber, grass, apple (occasionally), green beans, grapes (only as a treat), leafy lettuce (not iceberg), bell pepper - their favourite of which is carrot! Have planted some dandelion seeds recently, as well as the grass which i already grow indoors, so hopefully they'll be ready soon too.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pellets are the least part of a guinea pigs diet so if they eat none, it's no big deal provided they have unlimited amounts of grass hay all day to eat. Have you tried capsicum (bell peppers) and coriander (cilantro) with them. Those are both great daily staples in any pigs diet?

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.