Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Do you really care about cows etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
I just wondered how many vegetarians/vegans had actualy sat down and thought about all this.
It has always been believed that if people stopped eating meat and other animal produce that all the cows, pigs, sheep etc would all be safe. Did you realise that if this happened then every single cow, sheep pig, etc would be slaughtered and they would become extinct? It costs thousands of pounds to keep a herd of cows for a year (I know this because the farm where I keep my horses has cows) and a farmer will not pay out that sort of money to keep a herd of cows as pets. These animals only exist because people eat them and if they stopped they wouldn't be required anymore and would be slaughtered anyway.
Unfortunately, its a no win situation, you either eat meat and have cows etc exist as a food source or you don't eat meat and condemn them to extinction.
I am not anti-vegetarian, the only ones I can't tolerate are the ones who preach about not eating meat and who then wear leather etc. To me, those types are basically saying its ok to kill animals for their skins so long as you don't eat their meat.
I have become quite fond of the cows at the farm, they are lovely animals and I would like to continue seeing cows etc for years to come. I couldn't go vegetarian for the reason stated above, I wouldn't want an entire species extinction on my conscience.

Kat

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
That is an interesting anti-vegetarian argument. I honestly don't think I heard that one before.

Maybe that's because it's such a completely ridiculous notion.

On what planet would everyone stop eating meat? Believe me, until aliens appear and give the animals the power to speak our language people will keep eating them.

The sad thing is that even if they could speak our language there would STILL be people willing to ignore their pleas and kill them.

If the farfetched idea of cow extinction helps you to keep on eating meat, even though you know that the animal suffered horribly to get on your plate then that is your happy lie of an excuse.

Personally it seems rather naive at best.

I'm closing this thread. ANY anti-vegetarian posts in this part of the forum, no matter how silly and unrealistic, are not allowed.

This part of the forum is for vegetarian SUPPORT!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add a follow-up to my closing post.

Are you aware that there are already plenty of endangered farm animal species? There are. The main cause of this is meat eating and all other animal use habits (dairy, wool, egg, etc.)

Farmers desire the animals that grow the biggest and fastest. The animals that produce the most eggs, wool and milk.

By eating meat and using animal products you are already helping to drive some breeds of farm animals to extinction.

Breeders look for farm animals with desirable qualities. Such animals are then used to reproduce, so they pass along these qualities for the future. Competition becomes difficult for animals with qualities that are seen as less desirable. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization says more than eight hundred breeds are in danger. (broken link removed)

Every week, the world loses two breeds of its valuable domestic animal diversity...."In the past 100 years, we have already lost about 1 000 breeds," says Keith Hammond, Senior Officer of FAO's Animal Genetic Resources Group. "Our new findings show that domestic animal breeds continue to be in danger: one third are currently at risk of extinction."
(broken link removed)

There are many reasons for the reduction in diversity of farm animals, but the main reason is changing farm practices. With profit as the guiding force many modern farm breeds are chosen for their speed of growth and uniformity.https://www.hertsdirect.org/yrccouncil/hcc/env/enjoy/places/aldenhamcp/acpendangered/

It’s no secret that over the years, certain animals have proven they are better producers of milk, meat or wool than others. These animals get special treatment, which is to say that they are actively bred by farmers.
(broken link removed)

Status
Not open for further replies.