PDA

View Full Version : Need an answer to my question if anyone knows .

NewToPiggies
05-13-06, 05:41 pm
I took my boys to the vet yesterday. They had been sneezing and coughing , My vet who is a exotic vet and seemed to know quite a bit about guinea pigs, Gave me this medicine for their eyes called vetropolycin , It has Bacitracin,Neomycin and Polymyxin and its an external med. I am wandering since ive read that Bacitracin is on the no no list of meds for Piggies if thats only for internal or for both external and internal ?

Ly&Pigs
05-13-06, 05:45 pm
From guinealynx- http://www.guinealynx.info/supplies.html

Antibiotic Creams and Ointments
WARNING: Most antibiotic creams contain antibiotics that must not be ingested. Make sure these ointments are used sparingly and only when absolutely necessary.

The most common antibiotic cream/ointment is triple antibiotic ointment, also known as BNP (brand name, Neosporin).
Ingredients: Polymyxin B Sulfate, Bacitracin Zinc and Neomycin Sulfate.

Since bacitracin is a deadly antibiotic taken orally, apply sparingly, wipe off any excess, and be especially careful if applied near the mouth to treat conditions like cheilitis (a bacterial skin infection).

NewToPiggies
05-13-06, 05:47 pm
Thanks so much. I was very hesitant and almost threw away the meds . I just took a wet towel and washed away the excess.