PDA

View Full Version : Pig Sitter

fairysari
05-13-06, 03:00 pm
I'm going camping next weekend (it's a long weekend here), and I've decided to hire a pet sitter to take care of the piggies while I'm away. She's coming over here on Monday afternoon to meet the boys, and see where all their food and supplies are. I've got the vet's number on the fridge, and will be preparing their veggies and putting them in individual serving containers before I go.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for questions I might want to ask her, or any other instructions or suggestions I might want to give. I've never hired a pet sitter before, so any advice at all is appreciated!

Fanch
05-13-06, 03:23 pm
Make sure you give her a number you can be reached at. One time my sister hired someone to look after her horse, and he started to colic, but the sitter didnt know that, so she called my sister, and sis said to get the vet right away. Having anumber that the person can reach you can really help.

fairysari
05-13-06, 03:38 pm
Well, I plan on leaving her my cell phone number. I was worried because I can't leave my phone on the whole trip or the battery will die (no electricity camping) but I guess I'll find out what time of day she plans on coming here, and I can turn my phone on then. I just hope there's actually cell recption. Actually, I just hope she doesn't have to call. Maybe I'll give her a link to the forum just in case! :)

I guess I should leave enough money for a vet visit, too, just in case.

It's only two days, and I worry so much....

Fanch
05-13-06, 04:59 pm
Dont worry, I go away for about 3-5 days for a summer vaction each year, and im so worried about all my pets, and it keeps going till about a day in. Just make sure you have trust the sitter and explain everything throughly(I think I get on my sitters nerves with that one) And have lots of fun and relax on your vaction

NewToPiggies
05-13-06, 05:53 pm
A sugestion for you , You can buy a cell phone charger that will plug into your cart lighter slot if you have the extra cash to buy one they arent to expensive and wont drain your car battery =D

golden
05-13-06, 07:05 pm
My friends are going to watch my pig while I am away. He will be in his pet store cage for five days. He will be elated when I come home I am guessing, to get his run back!

JennG
05-13-06, 09:35 pm
I'm sure your boys will be fine. It really comes in handy if you have a plug for your car's cigarette lighter. I have one and wouldn't go without it. I use it more than the house one.

I usually do over nights at my mom's house and won't stay longer because of the girls. Hubby has gotten good about giving them their veggies and I make sure they have plenty of hay and pellets. They also have 4 water bottles that are completely tapped.

My biggest concern is all the poop. I usually hoover poop up 2x daily but when we're gone I miss one time. When I get back, we have some extra poop. (Can't seem to get hubby to clean it up.) Anyways, good luck but I'm sure they'll be ok.

NMPiggyMom
05-13-06, 10:27 pm
I think leaving a piggy sitter instructions to this website is a brilliant idea!!!