Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Howdy Hey There...I'm new!

imabrdwaystar

Cavy Slave
:cheerful: Hello
My name is Sarah from Richmond, VA. I have had my cavies for 4 months now.
My first is Maggie Ginger. I rescued her. She had been returned by a family who did not want to pay th money to take her to the vet. I believe her old name was "Snuffles."
Maggie had severe ringworm, but thankfully has been in perfect health. Look how plump she is! Oh Yeah (she's always been a little fatty)

My other guinea, who just passed way 4/13/2006, was Minnie. She was Maggie's BEST BEST friend. She was little, so sweet and kind, and had nothing but love in her eyes.

See her blow a kiss to the camera!

Another cavy I rescued, the day before Minnie passed on, is Matilda Bell. I don't have a picture of her yet...still in the camera. When I rescued her she had long nails, very crusty eyes, was under weight, had a respiratory infection, was breathing heavily, and had mites. I thought she would die for sure....but after being on meds for weeks (she has now been off them for 3 days)...she is now plump tho not as big as Maggie...energetic...and as bossy as can be!

I will also be adopting 4 more either on 4/17/2006 or 4/18/2006. These are all ex-show cavies from a family who lived in CA. They showed them through 4-H and after they moved to VA, lost all interest. So...I will add 2 female 2 1/2 yr old tri-colored Tortoise Peruvians named Cozy & Snowpuff, 1 male almost 4 yr old tri-colored Tortoise Peruvian named Shaggy, and 1 male Texel almost 4 yr old named Kraemer to the bunch. ❤️
Right now Kraemer has lice I think...I am confident he will get better considering Maggie and Matilda have.

I can't forget one thing though...I do not own a cavy cage yet. I am still working on saving up the money to buy all the materials to build a really nice one...with 6 cavies it'll need to be huge! For now, males will be seperated and the 4 girls will be in the pairs they are used to.

Well, I've just rambled on. Thanks for reading! I would love to know if there are any other from Richmond, VA too :)

*Sarah M*

Last edited by a moderator:

imabrdwaystar

Cavy Slave
Oh no I can't view my pictures...oh well...one day I'll get it right :guilty:

*Sarah M*

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
You'll have to upload them to a site like Photobucket - right now the file you're pointing the IMG tag to is on your computer, which we can't access.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Hi & welcome to the forum!

I'm glad that you adopted instead of bought your piggies! :D

I wish I could see your pigtures, but all I see is Try uploading them onto Photobucket or something & copy & paste the "IMG" link here ;)

Good luck on your C&C cage, too! I want to make one but my dad won't buy the coroplast... Yeah. So, welcome to CavyCages again!

*Edit* I'm from MD... *Snert* Close enough.

genuinejeans101

Cavy Slave
hi welcome to cavycages!!!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Look through the cage pictures to get ideas. At some point you may want to put all 4 girls in one cage. Many people put the cages side by side so the boys and girls can visit each other. I built my cages on top of folding tables from Lowe's. The underneath is storage and they pigs are waist height. It is very nice to clean also, not having to get on the floor.

imabrdwaystar

Cavy Slave
Hi again everyone
Thanks so much for welcoming me and giving me advice on uploading my images...I think I may have got it...I hope this works...

*ehem* Introducing Maggie...
She's not fat...just naturally big boned. (She was always the biggest pig in the bunch...that's why I love her!)
Now Introducing Minnie ...
Minnie passed away 4/13/2006. She her blowing a kiss to the camera...ooh la la!

Still do not have pictures of Matilda Bell yet...I still have to take 15 pictures before my roll developes, but thankfully they will definitely be spent on the 4 cavies I am adopting next week.

Also, to Jdomans and others : I was thinking about putting the girls together (4 in total) when I build my cavy cage, but I was scared because I read somewhere that, they may fight and pull each others hair. I plan on building the cage so they have well enough space and introducing them first, but I just was hesitant to house together after I read that...think I'll be okay housing all the girls together eventually?
Also...I do plan on seperating the males/females, but having like a clear plastic viewing window so they can see each other.
Also wondering...the Texel I am adopting has a skin condition...I think the owner said it maybe lice, but of course I'll find out more...She did some research and was giving it a dip...any other recommendations in the meantime, before I take him to the vet?

Thanks so much...I hope those pictures come out!

*Sarah M*

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. If the pig has lice he will need a lice bath once a week for three weeks. The shampoo is only available through a vet, it needs to be specifically for lice, not just any old shampoo and human lice shampoo is dangerous. It isn't expensive, just under ten dollars a bottle if I remember correctly. I guess you will have to wait and see when the pigs get to you whether the previous owner has taken care of it or whether it is in fact lice at all. It is probably a good idea to just take all 4 to the vet anyway for a checkup. Cute pictures!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Your pigs are adorable. Welcome to the forum.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Sarah, look at my profile and photos. I have 7 girls in my cage. Why were you thinking of plexiglass to separate males and females? Unlike dogs, when a female is in heat, she won't back up to the 'fence' and get caught by the male pig. They love to sniff each other etc. See..this is Doolittle while he is waiting for his 3 weeks to be up after getting neutered:
The two cages share a wall.
DSCF1592.jpg

imabrdwaystar

Cavy Slave
PiggieMommaKelly thanks for the tip...I plan on calling the vet first thing Monday morning. I just can't wait to get poor Kraemer. I've always wanted a Texel.
Jdomans...I thought of using a small plexiglass barrier for that exact reason, but I am so very glad you told me otherwise. I had no idea! *eek* This is my first go round with having males and I just wasn't sure. The Peruvians were bred once before and I would never want them to go through that again. By the way, Doolittle is too cute...oh that's another thing I should inquire about...Do the males in fact have a stronger odor than the girls when not neutered? Are all your pigs spayed/neutered? I would really love to know the benefits of that for all guinea pigs.

*Sarah M*

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Surgery is rough on them as they are small and they are ground-dwelling so infection risks are high. Most exotics vets only recommend or will do spays if the sows have hormonal problems like ovarian cysts.

Neutering is less invasive, but you should only do it if you are putting the male with females. There is sometimes less impaction problems if you do it, but I don't think that's enough of a benefit to do it.

There aren't the same benefits to it as there are for dogs, cats and rabbits.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I can't give you too much advice when it comes to housing males and females except to make sure you don't have them together obviously. And I haven't had much experience with lice, but I think I've read somewhere on here that Advantage will take care of that. Try doing a search to see if you can find more info. I know that it's been brought up in the past.

As far as housing four girls, I have seven and they do have their occasional spats but they get along pretty well. You'll want to make sure you introduce on neutral grounds and make sure your cage and everything else is cleaned when you put them all together.

Good luck with building your cage. I've built and revised my cage 5-6 times. It's very addicting. Welcome again. And your girls are cutie pies.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Sarah there is absolutely nothing wrong with housing them side by side as males in one and females in another. You must make sure the boys have plenty of room though. I have read on this forum of someone who had two males and when the girls came into heat they fought with each other. I think they ended up putting the boys in another room all together. I had Doolittle neutered because I don't want him spending his life like he does in that picture and because I am in an apartment and have no place for a second cage for Doo to have a male buddy.
As far as smelling Doolittle goes, I don't smell him until I actually check his penis. LOL None of my girls are spayed. There is no need for it.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

imabrdwaystar

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the replies.

Since this is my first go round with having males...I was thinking of seperating the two boys...they do not live together currently.
I was thinking of having Kraemer in his own cage on the side...the girls in the big middle cage...and then Shaggy in his own cage on the other side. Do ya'll think I'm making this way more complicated than it needs to be, or do you think they'll be okay? I just do not want anyone fighting or getting crazy and pulling out fur, nipping ears, etc.

Also, I had to reschedule picking up my new 4 guineas...I got so lost trying to find the womans house this morning, since she lives way out in the country. Oh well.

I also bought the grids last night from Target. They sell boxes of 6 storage cubes in stainless steel for the price it would have cost me to get 4 cubes in white from the Home Depot. I got two boxes...so that's 72 grids. I might need another box to make another level.

I'm still looking at ideas here...I think I'll build the cage part first, so then I'll know the exact measurements of the coroplast I need. Is it easy to bend the grid to make stairs, lofts, etc? Also, when it comes to making a ramp...what are some good recommendations so they get good traction?

I'm going to try a themed cage...I'm thinking of calling it "Pigs in Paris."
I found this lovely border with the Eiffel Tower in black and white...still looking for other accessories though. Yea, I just can't wait!

*Sarah M*

spiffykinkajou

Cavy Slave
Correct me if i'm wrong but I heard wallpaper can be hazardous to guineapigs.
Is this the kind of border you are talking about and is it going on the inside or outside of the cage?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Sarah, you are making things more difficult than they out to be. Put the boys in a cage with a divider fixed so that soon they can be without a divider. How will they ever get to know one another if they are on either side of the girls? Make one large cage for them and place grids in the middle with zip ties or the connectors and let them enjoy each other's company.

imabrdwaystar

Cavy Slave
I think you're right Jdomans...that's what I'm going to do....oh and the wallpaper border will be on the outside. I would never want them eating that. lol

About my last post too...what about lofts, bending the grids, and what to use so they won't slide down the ramp (besides good railings)?

*Sarah M*

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Look at my photos Sarah and all others. Bend the grids opposite the line where they are soldered. You will see a seam. Don't bend that. I just put my foot on them and pulled up! I bought one of the really cheap like $3 door mats from Wal-Mart and cut a slice of it. Using zip ties, I attached it to the gird for a base. Just take the same knife you cut the coro with and poke a hole in the mat. After looking at all the photos under ramps, you may see something better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.