PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell the age of a piggie?

janetangel
05-11-06, 11:34 pm
I will be a first time piggie mom in a couple of weeks. There is a couple of male piggies up for adoption at a shelter about 2 hours away from where I live. I hope they are there in a couple of weeks when I can go up. I have been keeping a daily watch on these two who have been there for a couple of weeks now. One is listed at age 1 1/2 yrs old. The other is listed as age unknown. Is there a way to tell an approximate age of an adult piggie?

PinkGrass
05-12-06, 01:52 am
Congrats on soon to be piggy mom!

I've heard that the usual way to tell is by the pig's weight. More knowledgeable members could tell you what weight is what approximate age. I've also heard that claws can still determine if they are young. Sharper claws mean younger piggies. I could be wrong. But that is what I have read. :3

Good luck!

WEAVER
05-12-06, 04:59 am
No unfortunetly many times it is impossible to tell a guinea pigs age. The weight thing can work to a point, but all pigs are different sizes and weights just like humans are. Claws do point towards young or older, but you can not pin point a exact timeline from them. Claws can begin getting thicker and slightly turn as a guinea pig ages, baby claws are tiny, perfectly straight, and very thin.

Don't look at age as that much of a importance. I have two guinea pigs that I have NO idea how old they are. All I do know is that they much more happy and healthy now than they probably ever have been, and ultimately that is what really matters.

Piggiemum
05-12-06, 02:31 pm
I wanted my boys to have a tentative birth date, so I weighed them and then looked at all the weight charts on Guinea Lynx for growing cavies and made an estimate resulting in a date for each.
Here is the link: http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html