Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello I'm new to cavies!

GSL1445

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My name is Stephany. I'm new to cavies. My sons' are getting one in a few weeks. It was born on Sunday to unsuspecting new cavy owners, who bought from a pet store. We are taking it because they were going to give the baby back to the pet store. My son's have been asking for one for years, so this is our chance. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are joing to learn as much as we can. The boys have enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading some of the posts. They are excited about making a "homemade" cage.
Talk to you soon,
Steph:cheerful:

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Congrats and welcome to the forum. You will find so much great info here.

Fire Cracker

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I hope you find all you need to know to keep your soon to be piggies happy and healthy. Have fun!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Your best bet is to do alot of research before you get your baby as far as the foods they need to eat (veggies/fruits/hay/pellets) to the bedding you're going to want to use (aspen/carefresh/fleece) to size of the cage you're hopefully going to be making. Also, one more important thing is to consider getting your new baby a friend as well. Guinea pigs are herd animals and do much better in pairs (or more, in my case).

Good luck and enjoy them. They are the sweetest things!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You will find what you need here, if you don't ask a question (there are search boxes in the top of the page in the right corner). Read everything you can before you get your guinea pigs, and keep reading you will learn something new.

GeorgieLolaLove

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You will soon find out that cavies are the cutest little pets ever!
I don't know if you are getting a boar (male) or a sow (female) piggy, but I would recommend to find him or her a piggy friend! Your piggy will be so much happier with another piggy on his side, it's fun to watch them playing and eating and sleeping together and two pigs are not much more expensive than one pig!
And especially when they're still young, it's rather easy to get them together without too much struggle.
Remember: a boar and a boar CAN get along very well together, as can a sow and a sow. You can have a boar and sow together as well of course, but make sure that the boar is neutered before you do!
Whatever the combination is, let them get used to each other very carefully (you can read all about it on this site)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.