Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! I'm new!

Lizzie127

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! My name is Lizzie. I have two wonderful guinea pigs and i'm hoping to get another one after i'm done building their bigger cage. I'm wanting to build a 2x4 one and a half level cage that is covered. So I came here for help! I have the outline for the cage, since I can't find cubes anywhere I'm going to make it out of wire shelves. The only problem i have is what to put it on? I live in an fourplex so space is kind of limited. I want a table or something that has wheels for easy movement. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Lizzie

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
First of all, welcome to the forum! There is a lot of useful information here, so I hope you read around. As far as what to put the cage on, do you want wheels to move it easily, or are you just looking to get it up off the ground? Since I built mine out of cubes, I just used more cubes to keep it off the ground. Since you are using wire shelving, I would think a table would be your best bet. Before I built my c&c and had my girls in a petstore cage, my mom found a coffee table a little bigger than the cage so I kept it on top of that. If you want a coffee table or something, I would look at places like Goodwill. They have furniture there that is cheap, and since it is just a table for a pig's cage, it's not like looks will be the most important. Also, summer is the time for garage sales, and if you live in a college town, a lot of students are moving out of the dorms and apartments so you could look for a table on curbsides as well. I hope this is helpful, and again, welcome.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I agree with cavyslavesteph. You should look for a coffee table at goodwill or a garage sale.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Welcome Lizzie! This forum is great and is the home to a ton of great information!
I also agree,a coffee table is your best bet! Good luck finding one!

Lizzie127

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I think I will look at Goodwill for a table and put wheels on it

Fire Cracker

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the form! Good Luck finding a coffie table. I would say Good Will is your best bet. When your done post some pictures to show us how it went.

Lizzie127

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the help. Here are some pictures of my girlies.

Thats Baby running around on my bed.

Thats one of the few pictures i've been able to take of just Fancy, she is VERY shy.

The sisters together. I love this picture!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Your girls are very cute. Do you have a Bed & Bath near you or a Target? Those are two places that sell grids. I use extra grids to keep my girls cage off the floor. Good luck.

Fire Cracker

Cavy Slave
They are adorable!! So cute!

Cavyslavesteph

Cavy Slave
Very cute pigs. In the first one of Baby, she looks like a complete princess.

NMPiggyMom

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Wonderful pigtures! Welcome to the site. I'm new too and have already gotten some positive feedback and great ideas. You'll love it!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums. Your pigs are very cute.

If you do getting another pig, I suggest making a bigger cage. A 2x4 isn't sutable for 3 guinea pigs.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Hey Lizzie! Welcome to Cavy Cages. Your pigs are just too precious, and they look like they're having a great time in the yard. A couple of suggestions for you though. If you want a third pig, take MBM's advice and make the cage at least the size of a 2X5 C&C. If you can't find the grids, check out the link on the home page for where to find materials. Also, as an aside, if you get a coffee table from GoodWill (which is a brilliant recycling idea by the way) make sure you get locking casters for the wheels. They have a lever that you can push up or down so the wheels don't move unless you want them to. You don't want your pigs getting excited and shooting the cage across the room like a skateboard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.