PDA

View Full Version : Limping.....

dextersmycutegp
05-07-06, 11:15 am
One of my piggies, Midnight, has limped ever since she was born. Her back right leg is very weak. She can't even use PCV tunnels because she flips on her side and can't get up.....She also falls on her side when she lands after popcorning.:sad: Does anybody have any ideas about this?
I don't really have a good vet nearby, but I would take her to the vet if I thought that would help, I'm just not sure if the vet wouldn't say "I don't know" and make me pay $50 anyway....

2pigs4rats
05-07-06, 12:30 pm
How old is the piggy now? Maybe it's njust a deformity, since she's had it since she was born it's unlikely that anything can be done to cure it, can you tell if she is in any pain?

dextersmycutegp
05-07-06, 01:10 pm
She is 4 months old. I'm pretty sure she isn't in pain or anything because she popcorns and runs really fast. I just want her life to be the best possible, maybe that just includes limping...
Is glucosamine bad for guinea pigs? If its okay for them I could give some and see how she does.....

Cavyslavesteph
05-07-06, 01:18 pm
I don't know anything about glucosamine, so I can't be of too much help there. It sounds like she is moving around the cage alright. Is that the case? Can she move around ok, interact with the other piggies, and get to everything she needs? Since it sounds like she was born with this, I wonder if there is anything to treat it now. I wouldn't be overly concerned if she doesn't seem to be in pain and can move around just fine, but I've never had a pig with motility issues.

aqh88
05-07-06, 04:00 pm
Glucosamine is fine for pigs but most supplements have other ingredients that may not be and I wouldn't know the dose for a guinea pig. I'm not so sure it would help anyway. Glucosamine is for joint problems like arthritis and lubricates bone movement but if the leg is weak and deformed it's either an actual bone deformity or the tendons and ligaments did not form correctly. The tendons and ligaments would control the function and movement of the leg so without them the leg either wouldn't move right or could be stuck in a certain position. It's hard to say what exactly is wrong without being able to physically examine the leg and do xrays.

You could try xrays and potentially if there's a deformed or contracted tendon it could be cut or manipulated to allow the leg to move better but that's a tricky call even when you know what is wrong. Definitely would require a knowledgeable vet to assess what function each part of the leg is doing, what the result would be, and perform such a surgery. I've dealt with contracted tendons in young horses before and sometimes with physical therapy such as massaging the leg and carefully trying to stretch and contract it several times daily it will regain function but again it depends if that's even the problem. If it's a bone deformity there's not really anything you can do.

If you can find a vet that is at least somewhat knowledgeable to do xrays I would try that but if she's not in pain and can get around well enough leaving her alone will probably end up being the best course of action. Such a visit here would be $30 just for physical exam and then $30 for xrays.