Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding for my hamster??

wheeker

Cavy Slave
What is the best bedding for inside of a hamsters cage?? My brother has toilet paper ripped up for bedding. I was just wondering what you have in your hamsters cage or if you know of a good kind to use.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I personally use Carefresh for my hammy cage. Actually, it's Carefresh ultra mixed with lavendar and pink Carefresh. Yes, I have a girl hamster. The toilet paper is fine, although I would think the cage needs cleaning far more often to keep the odor at bay. Wynnie gets a few sheets of t.p. to shred every time I clean her cage.

wheeker

Cavy Slave
Oh, whoops
What I meant when I said bedding is what they make a bed out of. Like inside a little house that they sleep in. I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Plain white toilet paper is the best choice as your brother is using.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Tell your brother what he's doing is fine. Plain white unscented toilet paper is perfectly safe for hammies. Definitely do not get any of that bedding fluff you often find in pet stores.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
For my hamsters or gerbils I would lay down a layer of fine wood shavings or carefresh and then add a whole roll of cheap unscented toilet paper for the gerbils or around 10-20sheets for the 2 dwarf hamsters. The gerbils chewed far more than the hamsters. For awhile I had a paper shredder and just shredded white paper and newspaper for bedding. Don't use anything with printer ink on it. Hamsters aren't really picky about their bedding so long as you make sure they have something soft to build a nest out of but don't use cedar shavings or that fluff sold in petstores. Many hamsters have lost their legs getting tangled in fluff beddings.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
For the actual bedding for my gerbils, I use a mixture of aspen and critter care. Then for their nests, I use plain white unscented toilet paper. They love it. I have done the same when I have had hammies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.