Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does anyone use a harness to walk their pig?

chisky
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
No they are not safe for piggies.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Once again, someone has found something sold in a petstore just to make money. Don't assume that if something is sold, it's good for your pig. Leashes, harnesses, and balls all fall into this category. A guinea pig's body is not made to bend in such a way that any of these are safe. It's highly likely that your pig will try and jump or run with a harness on, and if this happens, he will injure his back or legs.

bromers

Cavy Slave
Bromers used to have one. Would not move or walk with it he hated it, total waste of your money.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs' spines do not arch backwards. Harnesses, exercise balls and wheels force their spines unnaturally and they could be seriously injured. Harnesses can also severely frighten a GP causing it to wiggle fee and run off.

Chicago pig

Cavy Slave
I was going to buy the harness but good thing i just learned that they are dangerous for my guinea pig.

rachieanne99

Cavy Slave
Yes, as you have read by now, they are horrible. Before I found out how bad they were (my ignorant pre- cavy cages days), I actually bought one for my first piggy. I quickly found out that she wanted nothing to do with it. Once I finally got her in it, she just stood completely still on the ground, looking up at me with "I hate you" eyes. A minute later, it was in the trash.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
I'll admit I got a ball AND a harness. I was still learning all Cupcake did was sit in the ball going "What am I supposed to do now" and when I tried to take her out her paws got stuck...that thing was trashed. Then I got a harness, Charlie completly slipped out of it and just sat there. Haven't used it since. I guess we all have to learn about these things one way or another.

Trixie-1406

Cavy Slave
From the first time I saw these contraptions I laughed- my 11 year old wanted one. I just coundn't imagine trying to get Trixter into that thing!!
I guess the idiot making money because everyone throws them out is laughing to the bank though.

guineasqueak

Cavy Slave
I disagree. I got a soft, padded harness. I found that my guineas weren't keen, but I got them out, put the harness on and just let them run about until they were happy. I have a patio garden, so I got my boldest piggie, clipped the lead on and took her to some nearby grass. The ting is, it hurts if you pull on the lead or tug your pig around, but if you just let them run about where they feel like and graze they actually enjoy being out in a new enviroment. I take my pig out often, and if at first your pig is unsure, it's probably because you are standing up and putting your shadow over them. Just sit on the grass with a slack lead and let them grow accustomed to it. NEVER take your guinea straight outdoors. Fit the harness so 1-2 fingers fit under the strap, and let your guinea about in a secure room first. If the guinea hasn't slipped it after 10-15 mins, it's secure enough for the pig, and take it outdoors. If you have the patience for your piggy, it will thorughly enjoy walks. It is like a horse -- you can't get a young, unbroken horse, sling a saddle on and jump on board -- it takes time and patience for the pig to grow accustomed to and confident in its harness.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You've been lucky guineasqueak. As well trained as your pig might be, someday something is going to happen. Either he'll wander in the direction of something unsafe and you'll tug back, or something will spook him and he'll jump. He could just wake up and decide he's not going to deal with the silly harness anymore and jump away from you. In any of those scenarios, your pig is going to get hurt and possibly break his back. If you want to continue to use a harness and leash, that's fine, but don't give instructions on how to use them. The forum does not advocate any toys or tools that a guinea pig has to get into and move around. Their backs are not made to use them safely on a consistent 100% assured basis.

guineasqueak

Cavy Slave
Thank-you! I had NO IDEA!!!! I will stop using my harness right away :eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.