Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Thinking of eating a lot less meat.

HockeyPigg

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, lately my side stitches (cramps) have been acting up when I run. Let me tell you that running a 10k for me ( a teenager ) is extremely hard at the moment. I remember when my grandfather started running marathons and would have the same pain. It turned out that in a few years he would get diabetes. It was a choice for him that he could keep eating meat and stop running or he could become a vegetarian. He became a almost a full vegan with the exception of eating dairy and meat every few months. I would like to limit my meat that I eat and slowly start not to eat any at all. Could you please help me with this and recommend me some foods or substitutes to get me on the right track? I would love to pursuit my goal of running at least one marathon in my life and with my stitches in my stomach it will make it harder to achieve. Thanks!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I think it's great that you want to cut meat out of your diet. Good for you. It's better for you and better for the animals.

Whether or not you agree with PETA and it's goals and/or methods, they are a great source of information on vegetarianism, the process of becoming vegetarian, and foods/recipes you can make and eat. They will even send you a free veggie starter kit. The website is www.goveg.com

I'm curious about something - do you believe that the stitches you get in your side while running are related to eating meat? If you do, how is it related? Also, do you believe that your grandfather's stitches also came from eating meat and that eating meat caused his diabetes? I'm a little confused from your post.

HockeyPigg

Cavy Slave
Yes, that is what he believes about the side stitches what many other doctors have felt about this as well. He has one one of the best athletic doctors in the world that even Bobbly Clarke (one of the most talented hockey players who ever lived) used for a period of time. As far as I know these "symptoms" mellowed out dramatically after not eating meat, with my grandfather and many of his long time running mates. Sorry for any confusion!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.