PDA

View Full Version : Little Eddies Mom Says Hi!

MaryZ
05-03-06, 09:15 pm
Hello Fellow Piggy Lovers,

My name is Mary and I am in love with my little piggy, Little Eddie.

Little Eddie is happy little guy about a year old... (he says that now he is a "man guinea" of course I keep reminding him that he will always be my "baby guinea"). Eddie does not like to be picked up but he loves to be petted and have his "guinea massage" several times a day. His favorite toy is a plastic clown that sits on a ball. He also has 2 other stuffed balls (originally made for dogs) that he likes to play with. I think he thinks they are piggies but I won't tell.

He lives in a cage that is 36 inches in diameter that sits on a plastic table. I constructed it out of a playpen, visqueen, and plastic mesh for the top. It looks like a circus tent. He likes to run laps for excersize, occasionally jumping over his stuffed balls. I am in the process of building him a better cage from ideas from this site.

I want to get Little Eddie a real piggy friend but I am hestitant because he is so "mature" and has been living alone for a while. If anyone can give me any advice on introducing new piggies to Eddie, I will appreciate it.

In closing, I would like to say how much I enjoy everyone's info and enthusiasm. It looks like I am not alone in this world of joy we all call "guinea love".

I look forward to any comments.

Mary Z

Sarasota
05-03-06, 09:39 pm
No help bcz i'm a newbie and don't have my piggy yet but would love to see a picture of the tent cage!!

twinkies
05-03-06, 09:45 pm
Hi and welcome!:D As you can tell, we all are "in guinea love".:heart: From my experience, get Little Eddie another male friend. He will do much better with a younger piggy. Do the quaratine and all, of course. Let us know when you get a new piggy. Good luck!

SoCal
05-03-06, 09:46 pm
I'm a newbie too. I hope my question are not too stopid. I live in Southern California. If others here live nearby maybe we can make play dates for our pets. I think I might get one in a few days

PiggyHappy
05-03-06, 10:01 pm
I am laughing at the idea of playdates for pets, and also wondering if you really can put a friend's pig in your cage.

Percy's Mom
05-03-06, 10:13 pm
If you have a playdate for your guinea pigs, please make sure they are the same sex to avoid any mating. I definitely wouldn't recommend placing another person's pig in your cage. It could cause dominance issues and possible fighting between the animals. If you have extra cube grids, you can use cable ties to put together a large playpen for the floor.

PiggyHappy
05-03-06, 10:15 pm
My daughter's friend's Mom has already layed down the law on that one the day we brought home our two piggies; but always wondered what would happen since when i introduced #2 to #1 there was only a "dominance dance" and then they got along.

MaryZ
05-04-06, 08:27 am
Hi and welcome!:D As you can tell, we all are "in guinea love".:heart: From my experience, get Little Eddie another male friend. He will do much better with a younger piggy. Do the quaratine and all, of course. Let us know when you get a new piggy. Good luck!

Hi and thanks for the advice. What do you mean by 'doing the quarantine"?:rolleyes:

Percy's Mom
05-04-06, 08:31 am
When you adopt another pig, you need to keep him or her in anotehr room and in a seperate cage for 2-3 weeks to make sure they are healthy. Guinea pigs are notorious for hiding illness, but usually you will be able to tell within 3 weeks. That's quarantining.

MaryZ
05-04-06, 08:32 am
When you adopt another pig, you need to keep him or her in anotehr room and in a seperate cage for 2-3 weeks to make sure they are healthy. Guinea pigs are notorious for hiding illness, but usually you will be able to tell within 3 weeks. That's quarantining.

Thanks!

Percy's Mom
05-04-06, 08:34 am
No problem. That's what we're here for, so you can learn how to best take care of your piggies. What I left out was to make sure that they get seperate floortimes as well. No interaction between established pigs and the ones in quarantine until quarantine is over.

fourbwabbys
05-05-06, 07:55 pm
Welcome! I have a little Eddie, too!