PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

SoCal
05-03-06, 07:13 pm
Hi all! I am planing to buy two guinea pigs but before I do, I need to learn more about them. First I want to know if I should get two female, two males, or one of each. Also, how can you tell the males from the females?
Many thanks!

shscheerchick
05-03-06, 07:18 pm
If I were you I wouldnt get a female and a male unless they are neutared/spayed or are in sparate cages. They will breed and you dont want little piggies running around (p.s. this is an anti-breeding site just to let you know so if you accidently have a litter you can pm me and Ill give you more advice)

SoCal
05-03-06, 07:35 pm
Thank you so much! Where do I get sparate cages? The man I called at the pet store here didn't know what I was talking about.

Smitti
05-03-06, 07:39 pm
By seprate cages, shscheerchick means 2 cages

Sarasota
05-03-06, 07:44 pm
Thank you Smitty. I'm a newbie too and I was confused.

SoCal
05-03-06, 07:45 pm
ok then! Thank you :D

shscheerchick
05-03-06, 08:23 pm
That is exactly what I ment. Sometimes the store people arent that much help and if you but I would reconmend not getting a gp from the pet store though because they sometimes give you the wrong info and there are lots of gps in shelters

rabbitsncavyluv
05-03-06, 08:25 pm
I would go by personality and I wouldn't listen to the pet store. They frequently give out bad info. Please look over www.guinealynx.info (http://www.guinealynx.info) for care info.

What part of socal are you in? I'm in LA.

Look over this website: www.cavycages.com (http://www.cavycages.com) Pet store cages are too small and you can build bigger cages for cheaper.

If you adopt from a rescue, they can tell you what sex the pigs are. Pet stores are often wrong and there are many homeless gps here. Pet store pigs are often sick too.

www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com)

SoCal
05-03-06, 08:26 pm
How do you tell the males from the females? Also, do females have menstrual periods?

rabbitsncavyluv
05-03-06, 08:27 pm
There is a sexing guide at www.cavyspirit.com (http://www.cavyspirit.com) and www.guinealynx.info (http://www.guinealynx.info)

Females do go in heat periodically, but usually doesn't last long and they do not bleed. If there is blood, you need to see an exotics vet.

SoCal
05-03-06, 08:44 pm
:) Thank you. :) I'd give you an official thank you so it would show in that Thanks given/ Groans thingie but I don't know how.:confused:

Percy's Mom
05-03-06, 08:56 pm
Kudos to you for doing some research before becoming a piggy parent. Definitely read the links that everyone has provided you. You'll find excellent information about health and caring for guinea pigs as well as directions to make easy, inexpensive, roomy homes for them. Please do not purchase your pigs from a petstore. Most often they come from breeders and pet mills who are not so much concerned about the health of their animals as making a buck and contributing to the severe animal overpopulation.

As far as the thanks/groans go, you will be able to use them after you have been a forum member for 30 days.

SoCal
05-03-06, 09:06 pm
Thanks everyone!!!:D I live in Downey :cool: and there is a place called SEACCA here that houses lost animals so I will check it oot. :)

PiggieMamaKelly
05-03-06, 09:11 pm
Clearly it has been said, but I can't stress enough the importance of not getting guinea pigs from pet stores. Not only are there plenty of homeless animals in rescues and shelters, but it is HIGHLY probable you will get a sick pig if you buy from a petstore. They often have very sick pigs who do not look sick in the stores because guinea pigs are excellent at hiding illnesses and often do not seem sick until they are VERY sick. Also, petstore guinea pigs almost always have mites (a skin parasite that causes itching, hairloss and can be fatal if left untreated).

Definately look at all the links that are posted here and good luck with your pig should you choose to get one!

HockeyPigg
05-03-06, 09:20 pm
I think it honestly depends. If you want a male or female together you will have to risk and pay for one to be nuetered or spayed. I think that if you want females they are no more different than males in my opinion, but if you are worried about accidental pregnancy you can go with two males that are PROPERLY sexed, not by someone who probably does not know what they are doing, someone you need to do this is a vet. But it all is your personal preference, beacause guinea pigs can live quite a while, and you want to ADOPT (hehe) one that you will be happy with.:)

katymae
05-03-06, 09:23 pm
Thanks everyone!!!:D I live in Downey :cool: and there is a place called SEACCA here that houses lost animals so I will check it oot. :)

I see you said "oot" - are you originally from Canada? I have a friend up there and she says "oot" all the time!

SoCal
05-03-06, 09:57 pm
I see you said "oot" - are you originally from Canada? I have a friend up there and she says "oot" all the time!
Hi Katie May! I am from California :cool: Are you from California too? Someone else here said they are from Los Angeles. I think it would be great to get out pets together for play dates sometimes:cheerful: . Wouldn't that be fun to have ferrets and piggies and guinea pigs playing together? :)

Percy's Mom
05-03-06, 10:03 pm
Please do not put guinea pigs together to play with any other animal other than another guinea pig of the same gender. There is too high a chance of guinea pigs mating, and they accomplish the act VERY quickly. Having another species play with them can only end up with someone getting hurt or killed.

rabbitsncavyluv
05-03-06, 10:47 pm
Ferrets are predators. They could attack the guinea pigs. I don't know why you would put them together, not to mention that ferrets are illegal in the state of CA.

SEACCA gets in guinea pigs from time to time. There is also the LA County Downey shelter, but they usually euthanize them upon entry.

Try www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) too

katymae
05-03-06, 10:49 pm
Well, again, this wouldn't be unsupervised or before a "getting-to-know-you" period. But since several of you have now said that I shouldn't get a piggy since I have fuzzies, then maybe it'll have to wait. Thanks for the input!

jemjammer
06-28-06, 03:08 pm
I realize you don't recommend a pet store however, we live in Canada on the east coast and from my search it seems pet stores are the only place to go to get a guinea pig. If I am forced to go this route I would like to know what I should ask to screen out where these animals come from.

I was also wondering if you could tell me which is better male or female? is there a difference in their temperment?

thanks so much for your support

lilpiggy12
06-28-06, 03:13 pm
Im new too

Susan9608
06-28-06, 05:57 pm
Im new too

New or not, you still need to start using punctuation in your posts. I know Voodoo reminded you of this in another thread, as well.

If I am forced to go this route I would like to know what I should ask to screen out where these animals come from.

Please keep in mind that no one is ever forced to purchase a guinea pig from a pet store. I don't think there is any way to "screen" where the animal comes from, as animals in pet stores usually all come from breeders. The conditions that different breeders keep their animals in may differ slightly, but the end result is the same - they are still contributing to the overpopulation of animals by breeding.

If you need assistance finding and/or transporting a guinea pig to you, perhaps some members here can help. We have often set up pig trains to move pigs from one area to the next. I'd encourage you to try this, before giving up and buying from a pet store. No one needs a guinea pig that badly that he/she should resort to a pet store.

We have many Canadian members on the forum, and some participate in fostering and rescuing guinea pigs. I'm sure they would be glad to help you. Please post your location and what you're looking for in the adoptables section, along with a description of the difficulty you're having in locating a guinea pig, and you'll get a wealth of information on finding one.

You can also contact our member, C&K, as she's fabulous at finding guinea pigs for people.

shscheerchick
06-28-06, 08:32 pm
I bought mine from a pet store I admit it. They were really healthy and I dont want to be mean or anything but getting animals from pet stores always isnt as bad as most people think. Yes some are really dirty and dont take care of the animals and get them from every person who dumps them there. But then there are those pet stores who do their best to give the animals good homes. Frankly Ive been in some animal shelters where the animals were housed in worse conditions then at pet stores. It is just where you are and go.

For me my male is calmer then my female but other wise they both act the same.

***Again I dont want to affend anyone by what I said that is just my opinon.***

TipiDancer
06-28-06, 08:46 pm
Yes, that may be true, CheerChick. But if you notice how many abandoned pigs there are, won't you think twice about how good it is to breed pigs in this condition? Like we need more and more pigs right now. My local shelter has 13 pigs. Do "you" think it would be okay to have an overpopulation of guinea pigs, while the new coming bred pigs are being loved by many unsuspecting familys, and the abandoned poor little pigs in the shelters? It takes common sense to find the mature and logical answer.

Percy's Mom
06-28-06, 08:51 pm
Too late. You've offended several people already.

Getting animals from a pet store IS as bad as most people think. Maybe you went into a clean store, and it looked like they know all about how to take care of the animals. Maybe you got lucky and got a healthy pig when you bought him, but where do you think your guinea pig and ALL of the others in the store come from? Unless the only time they have animals is when someone abandons them, they come from one of 2 places. Either the store is breeding them in the back of the store, or they are buying them from from a breeder/pet mill that breeds and backbreeds the sows until they are sick or dead from overbreeding. Both of these options are deplorable.

Unfortunately, the housing isn't always the best in a shelter. That's true, but a lot of that is because money doesn't go to the shelters to save homeless animals. It's going into the pet stores to support the breeders who are overbreeding and killing their sows and causing the overpopulation in the first place.

If you really and truly believe that buying an animal from a petstore is OK, that's your business, and more than likely we're not going to change your mind. If you think that no one is going to try though, or that we're not going to get upset when you spout about purchasing on an extremely ANTI-PETSTORE/PRO-RESCUE forum, you are sorely sorely mistaken.

TipiDancer
06-28-06, 08:55 pm
I can;t believe I forgot to point the over bred sows out. But then again, you are a mod. so thankyou for filling in the full defence :)

shscheerchick
06-28-06, 08:57 pm
Ok you have a point....but some shelters wont take guinnea pigs then what do you do. Most shelters around my area are dog and cat shelters who also have an overpopulation problem to. And some shelters are to full to take animals so where do you go I have heard that if a shelter wont take an animal or are to full people(not all) will put them in a pet store. And if a pet store is sooo bad to buy guinea pigs at then why in books do they say you can buy them at pet stores why do they not metion pet shelters....and I never said anything about breeding. Yes mine did breed but I didnt metion it in the reply I wrote. Frankly no offense to anyone but I hear more dont do this on this forum then anything I think I might reply once more to this topic then never come back but that is just me.

Let me add rescuing guinea pigs is great as with any animal but sometimes you have no choice and my mom wont let me go accross country to find a homless guinea in a shelter or pay 100 or more to have one shipped to me.

Percy's Mom
06-28-06, 09:06 pm
Ok you have a point....but some shelters wont take guinnea pigs then what do you do. You wait. You keep checking petfinder, craigslist, your newspaper, the adoptables sections here or on guinealynx till you find pigs that need homes. There is NEVER a good reason to purchase an animal from a pet store. A guinea pig is not something like food or shelter or clothing that you NEED to get by almost any means. Once you know that there are an overabundance of animals out there that need homes, show some commitment to rescuing an animal that will probably be killed while others are purchased out of a store if you want to add to your animal family. Don't take the easy route, do what's convenient, and go to the pet store.

Let me add rescuing guinea pigs is great as with any animal but sometimes you have no choiceLike I already said, there is definitely a choice. If you can't rescue an animal, you don't get one. A new pet isn't something you absolutely NEED.

shscheerchick
06-28-06, 09:07 pm
but a lot of that is because money doesn't go to the shelters to save homeless animals
How can you say that? It might be the case where you live but where I live I havent seen ONE donation box for a pet store. Everywhere you go at every store there is at least one if not more donation boxes for the animal shelter here. Even the PET STORE has 2 of them so to say that money doesnt go to the shelters it goes to the pet stores isn't true.

Again I was talking about SHELTERS not the newspaper and not everyone has access to the internet I didnt until I moved up here. Frankly I tell my parents that every animal we get should come from a shelter but some DONT take all animals. One our cats I found on the STREETS and we took her in and the other one I found at my old school and SAVED HIM FROM THE KIDS THAT WERE KICKING AND THROWING HIM AROUND. So dont say that I take the easy route and buy from the pet stores.

Slap Maxwell
06-28-06, 09:16 pm
It is the easy route! You were being selfish and "needed" a guinea pig, and instead of savings one's life (two, really), you doom the lives to two more!

PiggieMom
06-28-06, 09:20 pm
You're the one who said you took the easy route and bought from a pet store.
I bought mine from a pet store I admit it There are many members here that have driven upwards of five hours to rescue a homeless animal. Right now I'm attempting to rescue a pig that is seven hours from my home and in a different country. I know members who have paid airfare for pigs.

The fact is if you buy from pet stores you support breeders which in turn supports overpopulation. There is no way around it. There is no way to sugar coat it. You could have saved a homeless guinea pig. Instead you condemned one.

Percy's Mom
06-28-06, 09:26 pm
First of all, you can edit your posts for 10 minutes, so don't start a new post to make every point. I merged your last two posts.

Second, you may have been talking about shelters, but you also asked what you were supposed to do if there were no pigs in shelters. I gave you several options. And as far as not having access to the internet, that is simply not true. People may not have access to the internet 24/7 in their home, but there are computers in every public library, computers in copy centers, computers in schools, college campuses, and bookstores, and in many cities, there are internet cafes that people can rent a computer for a low fee. Newspapers with classified ads are even easier to get hold of.

As far as what I said about money being poured into the stores and not into bettering the shelters, to a point you're right. Every store I go into DOES have a can for donations to a shelter on the counter. And for every person who puts $1 into one of those cans, they put $50-100 into the cash register to once again help "stock" the store with animals.

TipiDancer
06-28-06, 09:28 pm
I've noticed alot of the newbies here that have been banned have new troll avatars. Are there different levels of bannment? Like The Don't feed with a troll in the background, then a Dont feed the trolls, with a hedge hog and a feed dish.

Percy's Mom
06-28-06, 09:32 pm
If you ever do anything to be banned for Josh, I'm sure you'll find out. Until then, it really isn't any of your concern.

shscheerchick
06-28-06, 09:35 pm
DONT EVER SAY THAT TO ME. Nobody knows what I do to save homeless animals. All you guys care about are the homeless guniea pigs what about the homeless birds,dogs,cats,horses and other animals. What about the people who buy exotic pets like tigers,lions,wolves and other wild animals then leave them on the streets. Yes I know that Im a little off topic but still. Like someone said before some shelters kill the guinea pigs right when they get them. So saying that I condemend an animal when if it were the case I couldnt save then what could I do. And not everyone can do the things other people can like for instince travel to a different country or travel 5 or more hours to pick up a guinea pig or have one sent to me by air. You people should be glad that I bought my 2 and saved them FROM AN ABUSIVE HOME OR A HOME THAT DIDNT DESERVE ONE CAUSE THEY COULDNT TAKE CARE OF IT. I do what is best for my animals and nobody should tell me otherwise about it. IF YOU ALL THINK THAT IM A BAD PERSON FOR NOT ADOPTING ONE FROM A SHELTER YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A BAD PET OWNER IS. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think Ive said enough.

PiggieMom
06-28-06, 09:40 pm
I think you need to calm down. All we have done is stated facts. You are getting very emotional about this.

Fact 1: You bought a guinea pig from a pet store.
Fact 2: Pet stores buy their "stock" from breeders.
Fact 3: Breeders are the cause of overpopulation.
Fact 4: You have helped contribute to overpopulation by buying a pig from a pet store and supporting breeders.

It is wonderful you have rescued other animals. But you have undermined you own values (values I assume you have since you have rescued before) by buying from a pet store.

We all care about the rescue of all animals. Breeding of any animal is wrong. Many of us volunteer or even run rescues of all kinds: dog, cat, ferret, rabbit, guinea pig, horse, farm even FISH.

Again, everything we have said is fact. You need to take a deep breath and reevaluate you decision. There is nothing you can do now about the pigs you bought. They are your loved pets now. Many of us made the same mistake. But next time rescue. That's all we ask.

shscheerchick
06-28-06, 10:05 pm
Ok Im sorry but I hate it when people tell me that Im a bad pet owner for getting my first guinea pigs from a pet store. Like I knew any better. People could have said,"We understand what you did and many people do that like me(or something) but now we know." Instead of acting like Im a 2yr old who is some kind of irresponsible person. Yes I understand about the facts. I just think people shouldnt say well you could have done more if they dont know the person personally or dont know the persons financial stuff. I understand that some people can go to a libary and other places for internet but in reality not all people can do that. I watch a lot of tv shows dealing with bad pet parents (I watch all the ones on Animal Planet) and I know what a bad pet parent is. I just get mad because people seem to make me feel (not intentialy I hope) that Im one of those people. Im not. The reason I came accross this website and forum was because I was looking for bigger and better cages for my cavies and I thought I could get some good advice. Granted I have but Ive also felt like Ive been treated like I dont deserve to keep my cavies and the people here who rescued theirs and stuff deserve them more than I do. And I dont like being called selfish either.

Susan9608
06-28-06, 10:05 pm
I think Ive said enough.

I think you're exactly right with this statement, shscheerchick. Actually you've said *more* than enough.

Given your attitudes, beliefs, and maturity level, I think you'll be far more comfortable on another forum.

Frankly no offense to anyone but I hear more dont do this on this forum then anything I think I might reply once more to this topic then never come back but that is just me.

Please don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

PiggieMom
06-28-06, 10:12 pm
Opps. It looks like you guys posted at the same time. shscheerchick, your last post was a lot more dignified. You must understand that ignorance isn't an excuse anymore. Now you know better. When you make a mistake you have to admit it. You bought you pigs a pet store. This was a MISTAKE. Nothing can be done about it now but not doing it again. You are only defending yourself when there is no reason to.

It is simple enough. There are plenty of members who have bought cavies before finding this site. They find this site and say, "Sadly I bought my cavies, but I know better now." If this is the case with you then you are more than welcome here. But if you were in the same situation with the knowledge about pet stores and breeders that this site provides you with tomorrow and still bought guinea pigs at a pet store then this is not the site for you.

I hope that made sense, it is very late for me. I'll make it simple: rescue or pet stores? There is no in between. There is no what ifs. If you are pro-rescue with the knowledge you have now stay. If you still think pet stores are okay, I'm very sorry but you would be more comfortable at another site.

Susan9608
06-28-06, 10:28 pm
I understand that some people can go to a libary and other places for internet but in reality not all people can do that.

I fail to see why people can't find a way to research a pet before taking on the responsibility for one.

If you don't want people to make you feel bad or say that you're selfish or think of you as a bad pet parent, then you need to stop defending purchasing animals at pet stores.

If you truly believe that buying animals at pet stores is an okay thing to do, then again I'll say you'll probably be more comfortable on another forum.

Many people - myself included - made the initial mistake of purchasing a guinea pig at a pet store. Is ignorance a good excuse for making a mistake like that? Not really. But is it understandable? Of course. But now that I know better, will I ever make that mistake again? Absolutely not. Do you see how that's a different attitude than defending the act of purchasing a pet at a pet store?

I hope so. I hope you'll re-evaluate your attitude and stay on the forum and participate constructively.

lilpiggy12
06-29-06, 10:59 am
New or not, you still need to start using punctuation in your posts. I know Voodoo reminded you of this in another thread, as well.

Please keep in mind that no one is ever forced to purchase a guinea pig from a pet store. I don't think there is any way to "screen" where the animal comes from, as animals in pet stores usually all come from breeders. The conditions that different breeders keep their animals in may differ slightly, but the end result is the same - they are still contributing to the overpopulation of animals by breeding.

If you need assistance finding and/or transporting a guinea pig to you, perhaps some members here can help. We have often set up pig trains to move pigs from one area to the next. I'd encourage you to try this, before giving up and buying from a pet store. No one needs a guinea pig that badly that he/she should resort to a pet store.

We have many Canadian members on the forum, and some participate in fostering and rescuing guinea pigs. I'm sure they would be glad to help you. Please post your location and what you're looking for in the adoptables section, along with a description of the difficulty you're having in locating a guinea pig, and you'll get a wealth of information on finding one.

You can also contact our member, C&K, as she's fabulous at finding guinea pigs for people.

sorry

Levin
06-29-06, 12:53 pm
Hehe Socal I see you are a proud owner of the book on gnomes (your avatar). As for your question Socal you should get two of the same sex if you don't want breeding.