PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever...

Spiffy'n'Spunky
05-02-06, 02:33 pm
I was just pondering about one of my past piggies, Pippa, and thought of a random question: Have you ever housed a rat with a guinea?

Pippa and her ratty buddy lived in the same cage (pretty cool setup really) It was divided with a special door to each side so that they had thier own spaces but could visit. They stuck to thier own food (I supervised meals for awhile) except they loved to share veggies. They never got into any tussels and seemed to be excellent buddies. Sadly Rosie (the ratty) came down with a respiratory infection and had to leave to the "hospital" (special quarentine cage) She fought for a rather long time, antibiotics every day and lots of TLC but I guess this was a strong bug and she passed. I think they really bonded though, because Pip died only a month after Rosie with no obvious reason why either...maybe grief...anyways they're together again with Him. Sorry if I rambled...

Ly&Pigs
05-02-06, 02:45 pm
You should never house a rat and a piggie together or a piggie with any other species of animal except another piggie. I know that there are diseases that rabbits carry that can be passed to pigs. I am not sure if the same holds true for rats but I would say that if your rat had a URI, the pig probably caught it and died from it.

Spiffy'n'Spunky
05-02-06, 04:15 pm
Just to clarify: I took Pip to the vet (very knowledgable about piggies) and she checked out ok but was put on a small course of antibiotics just to ward off any infection that may be looming.

VoodooJoint
05-02-06, 05:58 pm
It is a very poor choice to house GPs with other animals.

Rats, like rabbits can be carriers of Pasteurella. Guinea Pigs, if infected, usually die of the disease. It sounds like your rat may have died of it too.

Antibiotics will usually not effectively treat Pasteurella in GPs so the meds the vet put your GP on probably did little to help.

Here is a quote about Pasteurella I got from a website about Rat diseases;

"TRANSMISSION

Pasteurella pneumotropica often exists in a latent, carrier state
in the upper respiratory or gastrointestinal or reproduction
tracts, and may be disseminated by respiratory aerosol or fecal
contamination, biting, licking, and intrauterine contamination.
The intestinal tract is probably the primary site for localization
of the organism in subclinical infections. "

and the sympoms, sound like a URI doesn't it?

"CLINICAL SIGNS

Pasteurella pneumotropica is widespread as a latent infection, but
the bacterium causes clinical disease only sporadically. Signs
associated with P. pneumotropica infection include chattering,
labored respiration, weight loss, skin abscesses, conjunctivitis,
panophthalmitis, mastitis, infertility, abortion, and internal and
subcutaneous abscesses."

Here is the website http://netvet.wustl.edu/species/rats/ratbact.txt