Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Messy Pig and Pellets.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
My pig Gizmo is a peruvian mix, and he's got very long hair. Because of this, he manages to soak his pellets constantly. He'll visit the water bottle, play in it, go to the pellet bowl, and dunk his wet "beard" into the bowl and get the pellets wet. I've tried a variety of bowl shapes, and nothing seems to stop it, since he just crawls in if I make the sides higher. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm close to just crocheting a bowl cozy so that his wet beard would hopefully drag across it and dry off a bit.

(He has been vet checked, btw, his teeth are in good shape. He's just a slobby eater/drinker)

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Have you tried using those bowls that you tie to the edges of the cage?

Like this one

(broken link removed)

Having never owned a long haired pig, I can't help you much, but I have a messy pig as well, and he was always getting water into the food bowl, I eventually went out and bought one of those, and it doesn't stop it altogether, but it does reduce it a lot.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I did try one of those for a brief period, and he still manages to get his wet little beard into it.

bromers

Cavy Slave
This may seem like a stupid idea but maybe if you tilt the bowl so it is lying sideways he will only grab the food at the front so he wont soak all of it.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
No idea is stupid if it might save me pellet money! I'll try proppping it up against something tonight when I refill it and see if that helps. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.