Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

No piggies in my area?

Shadow

Cavy Slave
At some point after my oldest cat is gone, I'd like to get a little piggy for myself. I've looked everywhere for places that have them up for adoption, but I've found nothing. I've been to both of the shelters in my area, and neither of them have anything but cats and dogs. The nearest rescue is a hours and hours away. I've looked in the newspapers, just about every classified I can find, but I've still come up with nothing. :sad: Can anyone help me with other places I might try looking? (I don't want to give out my location online, so think in general terms)

Thank you in advance. :)

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Have you looked on petfinder.com?

Shadow

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that was the first place I looked.

I guess I just live in a really bad area for guinea pigs!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Look on Craigslist and sometimes morons list their pets on Freecycle (a yahoo group)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Kinda hard to suggest much without at least an area of the US or a state. Not much people can do knowing your state and even less just knowing you live in the midwest, south, so on. There are often people on here trying to find homes privately but they'd need to know your location. Alot of shelters and rescues don't list guinea pigs on petfinder even if they have cats and dogs listed there. Especially here. You have to call the shelters to check.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Call the shelters. Look in our adoptables section. Look on www.guinealynx.com in their cavy placement section. Look at (broken link removed) in their adoption section. Look on www.petfinder.com repeatedly. Check your newspaper classifieds and the greensheet (if it's published in your area). There are lots of more specific places we can suggest if you'll give us a general idea of where you live.

Sammi

Cavy Slave
Tell all your friends to look around for you... You might get 'lucky' and find out that one of your friendsis looking for a new home for guinea pigs. That's how I found Smartie and Truffle.

Shadow

Cavy Slave
I live in Southern Mid Kentucky, if that helps.

I wish my one shelter did have pigs, because that's where I got my dog from and I'd like to support them.

Thanks for the links, Susan. Unfortunatly, they didn't have anything there, either. :sad:

C&K

Cavy Slave
I have heard of pigs being in Kentucky before. It may not be a matter of the day you want a pig, you walk to the local shelter and pick one up, you may not be that lucky. However, that being said, chances are, when you are ready, if you keep your eye out at all the resources that have already been listed, and let people know you are looking to rehome a pig, you will come up with more then you really have room for! You can also try posting a wanted at at pet supply stores and vet offices, however keep a sharp eye out for breeders.

Of course, is it possible that every once in awhile you make a trip to an area that may have pigs more regularly? They may just end up being a side stop!

By hours and hours, what are we talking? 2 hours or 6? Remember that a lot of rescues may have pigs in foster homes that are actually closer to you, or may have ways to transport the pig closer to you or even to your door!

Basically, don't give up! When you are ready, post a wanted ad here, GL, Pigloo, and other internet sites, even ones that are more community based, keep an eye out at all the places that have been suggested, and let anyone you know, know you want pigs. Seek and you shall find!

Shadow

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice! After I read it I decided to poke around a little more and see if there were any shelters in my area I just didn't know of. Well it turns out there is, it's only about 1 1/2 hours away, and they have guinea pigs. After my cat is gone and I'm ready for one, I'll have to take a little trip over there.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Is your cat terminally ill? Are you expecting her to pass any time soon? Many people have cats and pigs with really no issues. It is very easy to put a lid on the cage and most of the time the cats just ignore the pigs. For most cats, they are out of their prey scope, just to large to go after!

Very few cats are the exception.

Shadow

Cavy Slave
She's not terminally ill, just really old (18 this year) and doesn't adjust well to new things. She'd probably either pull all of her fur out, or give the poor thing a heart attack.

Waiting for her to go is a bit of a mixed emotion thing for me. I certainly don't want her to die, but at the same time I don't want to hold the record for world's oldest cat and still be waiting for a guinea pig, if you know what I mean.

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Is Louisville anywhere near you? Theres alot of guineas there!

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Has guineas in Kentucky Too!

guineagal92

Cavy Slave

Shadow

Cavy Slave
Oh, that's so sad. :sad: I wish I could take them in, and if I'd had piggies before I probably would, but I've never had any before and I don't know if I could handle the tumors.

I hope someone with more experiance than me can take them in.

guineagal92

Cavy Slave
Ok:sad: I totally understand. I'm a begginer too, and I'd be a little afraid to take on these babies also. Good luck finding more pigs!

C&K

Cavy Slave
Your cat could live another 2 or more years easily, some rare cats do make it closer to 30.

Most cats really don't care about pigs. Even if they pay a little attention to them at first, they come to accept them in short order. A lid can always be placed on the cage, and it can be kept in a room that she can be kept out of, at least until her snit fit comes to an end.

However, you do know your cat best, and need to do what you think is right. But long term cat problems with pigs are very rare.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.