Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Structure and Stability

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Ok for all of you who are mutli-level architects out there, I could use your help. I have recently built a 3 level 2x5 cage for the pigs. The bottom two levels open up in the front for cleaning and the top level stays closed with access being directly from the top.

My question is how or what is the best way to secure the bottom floor of the third and second levels so they do not sag downwards. I see in the photo gallaries that some people use Plastic Pipe for support poles and others don't use anything.

Question 1:
If you use the poles for support and use fleece as bedding how do you work around these poles. Do you have to remove them for cleaning/replacing the fleece?

Question 2:
For those of you who do not use supports how does it stay so rigid. My cubes are all held together by cable ties, which I thought would make it stronger and more stable. But I guess I was wrong.

I do not have this palace on a stand, would that help make a difference?

Thank you for your help.

PiggySlave

Cavy Slave
I support mine with dowel rods zip tied underneath. Here is a pic.
(broken link removed)

PiggySlave

Cavy Slave
Sorry that pic is so big. Try this one.
(broken link removed)

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Thank you PS for the picture. That does give me an idea on what I can do.
I do hope that more ideas keep coming. :)

debarah

Cavy Slave
I have an idea, what about using the wire shelving supports, or like the dowels, pvc, its inexpensive and would hold up nicely. The wire shelve supports are located at home depot, or lowes.. Any hardware supply shop. Even rebar might do the trick.. something you can place across your lower levels to support your higher levels.

weta!

Cavy Slave
My upper levels use wooden beams to support them. They're just fairly thin pieces of timber, cut to size, and secured to the grids with cable ties through drilled holes. My upper levels are odd shapes (it's a divided cage), and the beams mean there's no sagging and nothing that an enthusiastic lap-runner could bang his head into - and it is very, very strong. The middle level has a door at each end for cleaning and an opening door at the front. The dividing grid in the centre of the middle floor also gives some stability - but hopefully you won't need to do this (wish I didn't).

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I use a grid to make a support wall.

DSCF1770.jpg

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Aw, Judy, your pigs all look so comfy in that pic! Love the double piggy leg!

I have a very small loft (1x2) and I use a grid to hold it up as well, but it's bent like a grid hayrack, so it's more like a pillar than a wall.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Mine also have full grids. The first level is mostly storage of 3 2x1 sections, plus another 2x1 as a hallways for the pigs. That style supports a lot of the cage.

In the rest of the cage they have 3 support grids; my fleece is just cut to fit around it. It's really very simple using support grids, but it does eliminate a bit of space. I tend to make the most of it by using the support grids to hang toys off and put food bowls against - at least they have a use then!

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips but I had already taken down the structure that I had built since I couldn't get it supported properly. Now everyone is in a shelving unit structure so that I could build up and not out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.