Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

new but pigless

poeticrat

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm new here. I'm currently pigless, I did own a pig years ago when I was like 10 and didn't know anything. I really want a couple though:) I do have 5 rats though. The two boys are named Monterray and Farrell, and my three girls are Tinkerbelle, Merry, and Nozomi. I want to adopt some guinea pigs instead of getting them from a petstore, but I need to convince my OH that I need some piggers :p So far, I'm trying to work up to that point. When I do finally get my pigs, I plan on ordering a c&c cage and adding a top to it. Any suggestions on how I can convince him to agree to the guinea pigs?

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am new to this site also and pigless at this time. I have not ever had a piggie, but my youngest son and I are going to get two.
I got some good advice about creating a C&C recommended cage from others on this site. It was suggested to look at Target for the crates and Lowe's for some of the materials needed.
I also need to build a cage that is enclosed.
To work with your OH (not sure who OH refers too, sorry) I would research all I could first about the cage environment, diet and care for the piggies...things may have changed since you were younger. After you are certain this is what you want and have a plan, present it to your OH and let OH be involved as much as OH wants to be. Help build the cage, pick out piggies etc.
I use to have rats too, they are great pets. I now have birds, cats, dogs and horses. We honestly do not need any more pets in our home, but like the variety of pets to share our love with. That is why I allow it in my home. I like to keep my kids exposed to different animals too and be able to appreciate them. All my life we have had multi animals, so I honestly have no idea what it is like have no pets or just one or two, AND I do not want to know.
Good luck and I hope things work out for you soon.

poeticrat

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I've been researching alot from cage requirements to diet and toys, etc. Things have definitely changed since when I had my piggie, but I didn't know anything back then anyway. This time around I'll be much better informed. OH simply means other half, in my case my fiancee:) I've been dropping hints that piggies might be coming in the near future and so far so good. I also have my fair share of pets, but I will still have enough time to spend with all of them even with the new additions. I have 5 rats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, and fish. But I love them all and wouldn't have it any other way like you.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Cool you have my type have household.
I get OH now. My first thought was online husband. That did not sound right so I did not think that was the case.:)
Your OH should be happy to adopt with you. Plus you have a country supporting your decision. Tell your OH it is time and there is always room for your honey as long as your honey (OH) behaves.:D

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. There is tons of great info here. As for your fiance's permission, well Percy's Mom said it best "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." I also have 2 rats (and 4 pigs) all boys. I love them all they are so great.
Jane-OH=online husband. That just cracked me up.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Like babygrl said you will find lots of great information here. I had no clue about GPs at first but after finding this site they get the best of the best care.

I always wanted a GP and my OH (the boyfriend) always said no. So one day I just came home with one. He had no choice to accept him and he's the one that now spoils all the pigs here in this home. He actually spends more lap time with them then I get to. I have to tell him to share. lol
They have successfully wiggled and squeeked their way into his :love: .
Now that 1 GP has multipled into 4 and he loves every one of them.

I like Online Husband too, that was a real good laugh for me.

poeticrat

Cavy Slave
Haha online husband thats funny. I think he's actually already okay with it. I told him about the cage I was going to order and that I planned on having 2 guinea pigs, and he was cool with it. So now I'm just looking for some to adopt from nearby shelters/rescues:)

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Oh cool. I am glad your OH see's things your way. They can be so hard to train sometimes. I have been married 13 yrs this year and he is barely getting trained right. Some learn faster than others.:D I love em anyways.
I am looking very hard online for adoptable piggies in my area. I am in Tucson, AZ and I cannot find anywhere that has rescued piggies for adoption. I think they are out here somewhere, but I do not know where. I have been searching anywhere and everywhere online I can think of.
I am getting frustrated with it. I do not want to go to a petstore. I am still hunting and hunting. I do not give up too easily.
I hope you have better luck in your area.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this is much help, but my grandpa lives in Tucson and he was telling me there are vets on every corner. You can ask an exotics vet if they know of any that need a home.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
That is a good idea to ask the vets. I know of one near me who takes in exotic animals where I use to take my rats. I will start there.
Thank you!!!

physusc

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I am also new (and pigless at the moment). I found this page at first when I was looking for cage ideas for my hedgehog a year or so ago. Then I had guinea pig custody for about 3 weeks (getting one from a friend to give to my niece) and found this page again. I got so attached to the little guy that I am now considering getting my own. My niece (in SC) is kind enough to call her new guinea pig OUR guinea pig, but it isn't the same as having him here.

Does anybody have any closed cage suggestions that make the most of small spaces? I live in a one-bedroom apartment and have little floor space left after all of my furniture. I also have two cats, so it must be a closed cage. I don't want to get a GP if I can't give him/her enough room to live comfortably, so I am hoping to find some interesting multi-level plans.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
physusc- look in the closed cages photo gallery for ideas on how to make a safe enclosed cage.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
I am so glad the site is up again. I missed it.:cheerful:.
I have been looking at this site for closed cage ideas. I like the idea of getting the "Organize it" metal storage kit at Target. I plan get it when I build the cage, use the zip ties if I do not have enough connectors and I plan to use some metal shelving as a lid/top. Since I use to work at Lowe's I know you can get metal shelving cut to any size, usually in white. It has a bend or a lip on one side which could be used to close over the metal cage. I also have a long table which I will use half or so for the cage and the other half put my son's stuff on it. That way I have one table for two purposes. I will also keep what I can under that table for the piggies, so I do not need additional storage. I was thinking of getting a cloth with a pattern on it my son likes to drape over the table to the floor to hide the storage area.
I am excited. My son and I have already started on fixing his room up to make room for his piggies. We are going to take a trip up to Phoenix about an hour and a half trip to the shelter there that usually has piggies for adoption. My husband wants to make a weekend trip of it so we may plan a day at the Phoenix Zoo, than go adopt our piggies on our way home. :)
I hope you can find ideas too from this site for your enclosed cage. I am really enjoying the planning for our big day.
Janet

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.