Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Orchard Grass

tattooyu

Cavy Slave
As our hay box dwindled down to nothing, we needed to go and get some emergency hay, since our KM order hasn't arrived yet. We decided to try orchard grass (Oxbow) and our piggies love it! It's a lot less dusty than timothy hay.

We found a great place that only sells pet supplies...NOT PETS. No worries about supporting breeders or any of that nastiness. Funny enough, the place is called C&C Pet Supplies!

P.S. This site (and CavySpirit) was mentioned in the press!

https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193286#post193286

twinkies

Cavy Slave
My piggies also love the orchard grass. Yesterday while out, I saw some Bermuda grass. I thought I would give it a try. They like it, but the Orchard grass is their favorite. Since Zoe is still a baby, I also put in alfalfa and that seems to be the favorite of it all. So, I am mixing it now.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Mine loved the orchardgrass too the first time I bought it from Oxbow. Unfortunately, our supplier seems to have problems getting the 50# orchargrasses, so they've been 'stuck' with timothy.

LBKK

Cavy Slave
I just ordered a 50 LB bag of Oxbow Timothy from the Canadian Pet Connection. I was debating between the Timothy and the Orchard but was worried that maybe the girls wouldn't like it and I'd be stuck with all that hay for nothing! So I went with the Timothy. I wish I could just buy a small bag of the Orchard from somewhere to let them "taste test" it!

tattooyu

Cavy Slave
Well, it's seems like our piggies aren't taking as well to the orchard grass as we had hoped. They eat it, but sparingly, which can't be good for them. We are going to return the other small, unopened bag for timothy.

P.S. Oops, sorry for the post in the wrong forum. I'm so used to posting in Cavy Chat!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Mine love Orchard Grass. I got them some Oxbow Timothy as well. I mix Meadow hay, the two Oxbow hays and GrazeOn to make a yummy mixture no pig can resist!

piggy_love

Cavy Slave
So what your saying guys is that bermuda and orchard grasses are much better in terms of price and cleanlinis (sorry im a terrible speller)?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I don't think there's really so much difference in cleanliness between bermuda, orchard and anything else. You can get dusty batches in any sort of grass hay. Some of the hays have a slightly different smell or taste though, so some piggies prefer one over another. They're all fine to use though.

sgprescue

Cavy Slave
The rabbits and pigs here prefer the Orchard grass rather than the timothy. I buy the 50lb boxes. I find the Orchard grass is softer and smells sweater.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.