Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

Caity

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I am a new user of this site. I have 2 lovable pigs in Edmonton, AB. My eldest cavy, Spike was given to me by my Ex-boyfriends mother. Spike is incredibly smart, but I think scared of heights. A year after getting Spike, I decided to adopt Leo a Tri Color from the SPCA. Leo and Spike got a long for a while, until Leo hit puberty and then all hell broke loose in Cavy land. I have not been able to to put them together for long, just for play time. Spike does not seem to be interested in any toy I have tried other than his small stuffed animal that he has had since birth. Leo is scared of everyone and everything no matter how often I play with him. I am hoping to use this site for ideas with these issues...

Bye for now!

LilSweety

Cavy Slave
Your pigs sound very cute!
Im also new (just jioned yesterday), hope you like this place as much as i do!

Caity

Cavy Slave
I do, I was on here before when I first got Spike, hoenstly my ex knew nothing about keeping a pig (He had a teeny tiny cage) but my ex taught Spike to run mazes and and to stay on a towel.. Poor Leo is far behind train wise... not sure if he'll ever catch up. I am thinking of trying to put the pigs together again but A. cutting their hair (long hair and its getting matted) B. Buddy bath C. new Colorplast hope it works

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
My guys generally don't care much for toys either. Food they love, and if you put veggies or hay in a tube, bag, or box, they'll pretend to play until they get the treats. To neutralize the cage, you might also want to mix up some 1/2&1/2 vinegar and water to wash the coroplast. It won't hurt your piggies at all, and the scent isn't noticeable at all after it dries. How old are Spike and Leo now?

Caity

Cavy Slave
Spike is 2 1/2 yrs now I believe and Leo is almost a year old. I think they will be able to live together. When I put them down for floor time, they just chase each other around for a bit, but then the dominance issues begin again... lately they havent fought though which is why I am thinking of giving it another go. Thanks for the advice.. I already clean their cages with diluted vinager, so hopefully it will work. Those snuggles (In the photo galleries) where do you buy material to make your own? Craft store?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You can buy the fabric almost anywhere. Craft store, fabric store, WalMart, Target, etc are all good choices.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Check out the social life page and introduction page on www.Cavyspirit.com maybe what they're doing is normal and they don't need to be separated.

Caity

Cavy Slave
I think most of their behavior when together is normal.. (dominance issues you know..) problem was they fought and blood was shed after Leo got a bit older. Spike bit and drew blood from his side and Leo ripped Spikes ear in two. I have been in the process of finishing a degree and had no time to watch them all day to make sure theyre ok... so I separated them and figured maybe I could try try when Leo was a bit older... lately they havent fought much just a little nipping... so I am giving co habitation another go..

Wish me luck!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I have read your posts a few times and I don't see a thing about your cage size. Could that be your problem? Boars need extra room.

Caity

Cavy Slave
That could be... both pigs are in 2X3 C&C cages at the moment, but have play time in 3X4 area. At the moment I cant make a large cage for two, but I will be moving soon to a larger place that will accomodate a large cage for my guys...I really think the big problem was the younger pig hitting puberty... he seems to have calmed since then... anyways, yes, I think space could be an issue and should be dealing with that soon (before putting them together) The new cage will be 2X4 or 2X5 (probably 4 though) think that is enough?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. More space than a 2x3 is definitly better for boars. 2x4 is good although if you can swing it I would go for the 2x5.

Texas Cavys

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.