PDA

View Full Version : How high is to high?

jettyman
05-23-04, 02:17 pm
I just finished my 2nd cage last night. On the upper level I forgot to measure in a wall in the front. So its basically wide open for them to run over the edge and fall into the bottom. It is one grid high. With enough tape and frustration I could probally attach a piece with the left over coro. Is it fine to leave it open or is it to high to take the risk?

cavylover
05-25-04, 09:12 am
14 inches isnt bad my cavys jump off my bed which is abit higher with no problem.Im sure you'll be fine

NoVeil
05-25-04, 09:46 am
I cut a grid in half to make a rail for the second level of Cinnamon's cage. There is enough bedding I doubt she would be hurt if she fell off but I feel better with the rail there.

cornhill
05-25-04, 12:21 pm
I just finished my 2nd cage last night. On the upper level I forgot to measure in a wall in the front. So its basically wide open for them to run over the edge and fall into the bottom. It is one grid high. With enough tape and frustration I could probally attach a piece with the left over coro. Is it fine to leave it open or is it to high to take the risk?I use a 2" piece of corplast on the edges without grids.

cavylover
05-25-04, 07:03 pm
2 inch or 2 feet????????????????? :S

cornhill
05-25-04, 08:46 pm
2 inch or 2 feet????????????????? :SI'm not sure what you are talking about. The height I pur on the 2nd floor barricade is about 2" so they won't just fall off the second floor.

NoVeil
05-25-04, 09:10 pm
The railing on my second floor is about half a grid...maybe 6 inches.

cavylover
05-25-04, 10:42 pm
2 inches of coroplast is way to small for a wall make it At least 120 if ur not gonna put a grid there

NoVeil
05-25-04, 10:44 pm
2" is 2 inches

cavylover
05-25-04, 10:45 pm
Well ok tell me your question again lol got confused :s.

LiciaMommycott
05-25-04, 11:46 pm
I would think that 2" would be enough to prevent them from accidentally falling off the upper level. However, intentional departures are another question. I have two lofts in my cages with about 2" rails and the pigs just jump over the edge. That's not a problem in my cage because it's a one level cage so the loft is maybe 6-8" above the floor. Is an entire grid height too much for jumping?

Speaking of cages, I uploaded my pictures to the gallery. I hope this link is correct:

http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=336

cavylover
05-26-04, 06:41 am
ohhh i thought the guy have no cubes on the side to the floor and only 2 "'s of coroplast in replace.It should be a problem even if they jump theres bedding.

chucklesmom
05-26-04, 05:29 pm
I attached a grid to the front of half of my upper deck, only because the pigs were pushing eachother off every now and then. It seems to have stopped since the addition.

mncavylover
06-14-04, 09:55 am
You can also attach shelving below the upper level, or at least put a hidey house there so they can jump down onto that rather than fall the full grid length. Do you have enough coroplast to make another upper level? If you do, you can probably try again. If not, you can use a bit of strong wire to make a sort of barricade so they won't fall off. Just attach the ends to the side grids and put a piece of tape on the sharp ends so you or your cavies won't get hurt. Hope this helps! =) Maybe you can even attach a piece of coroplast to the sides w/the wires for support. Just a few ideas.

Mulengro
07-14-04, 11:17 pm
good god, yes 14 inches is far too high for a guinea pig to be falling! how tall are you? would you jump off of something 10-12 feet high? and imagine your limbs are 1/4 their length... it doesn't take that much man, hell just some cardboard taped over it would be fine, like the side of a case of soda? just cut the whole side out and cut a hole in it where the ramp enters, done... or some other cardboard, anything will do. time and frustration? maybe five minutes and a little bit of tape, i don't know why you'd get frustrated?

and yes 14 inches is too high for a guinea pig to fall!

-mulengro

cavylover
07-15-04, 09:27 am
14 inches isnt really that much if you think about it its only a grid and 2 inches my guinea pigs are as tall as that .And us jumping ten feet isnt much at all .Acutally us jumping 10 feet is more then guinea pigs jumping 14 inches.If u think about it we average 6 foot and thats an extra 4 feet to what you were saying.Im talking feet are the same as inches in this metaphor.So 14 inches isnt alot but its still enough to hurt your pig