Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Lame Arguments

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. I just posted about a sort of problem I'm having at school. None of my friends support me being vegetarian, even though I've been one for almost a year (9mos to be exact!). So, sometimes they poke fun at me for it, and every time I try to explain to them why, and what good things can come from being a veg, they just shoot me down. Even my bio teacher does it! I'm simply trying to educate them, if nothing more, and they come up with the lamest arguments.

Some of their favorites are "PETA is a radical group and their videos are old and outdated, etc, etc." First off PETA could be considered a radical group...a GOOD radical group. Second, none of their info is outdated or wrong. Another more popular argument is "You say that you don't eat animals because of their feelings blah blah blah but you eat vegetables! And vegetables are living things that deserve to leave too! You don't know, they could feel pain as well!" Or something to that effect, at least. I can't really come up with any retaliation for that one, as vegetables are technically living things, but it's different, you know?

It just amazes me that some people cannot see the horror that happens right in front of them. All the murder that happens just to satisfy their taste buds for less that fifteen minutes. Anyways, sorry, I just had to rant. I mean, you'd think my biology teacher at least would support me! So, anyways, hoping to get some good out of this thread, anybody have some ideas that I could tell my friends the next time they bug me? Thanks.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I don't know if this in an option in your school or not, but maybe you could talk to a principle or school official for starting a support group for vegetarians. High school is hard enough without doing something to go against the accept majority, even if it is for the betterment of the world.

I'm sure others here will be able to help you come up with counter arguments. But remember some people never seem to listen. But if they're stooping to such lame arguments, that just shows that they are the ones that don't know what they are talking about. They know it too. They might not say it, but the fact that they have to argue with you shows that you are affecting them in some way. You're making them think about it.

So in short: Kudos to you. You are making a difference.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
That's an excellent idea. I only know one other girl in the school who's veg, but I'm not really friends with her. I've actually suggested a "veggie club" to a few people, and most of them have shot it down (including a few science teachers!). I'll keep trying, and thanks for the advice!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I wish I had a dime for every time someone told me, "Well, vegetables are alive, too!" I'd be able to retire and never worry about money again. As I've grown old and weary of answering the same lame questions, I usually just smile and say nothing.

But at one time, when I used to care what other people thought about me, I vigilantly tried to defend myself and my choices. What I personally used to tell people is that while vegetables and other plants are living, they are not animals; they are plants. Different kingdom, phyllum, class, order, etc. etc. Human beings, on the other hand, are animals. We're mammals, just like cows, pigs, sheet, what have you. We're in the same kingdom as fish and birds. As animals, human beings share a kinship with other animals, which makes me feel it's wrong to eat them.

Also, plants lack a central nervous system and a brain with a frontal lobe and limbic system which makes them quite incapable of experiencing pain as animals experience pain, and makes it impossible for them to feel the emotional aspects of pain, loneliness, fear, anxiety, and love. There is an inherent difference between plants and animals, and that difference is the reason why I choose not to eat animals.

I usually follow this up with a "Besides, why does it matter to you what I choose to eat or not eat? What vested interest do you have in my diet?"

Usually people leave me alone after that.

People in my life are still not technically supportive of my vegetarianism, but most of them are quiet about it. That's about as much as I think I can ask for. If you hold out, wanting total support, you'll probably be disappointed. But, if you can use your own belief and strength of conviction to fuel yourself through and learn not to care what other people say or think, you'll do fine. Trust me - I've had 18 years of it to wade through.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Thanks Susan. Not a lot of people support me. My parents own a restuarant and always bring home lots of weird meats and eat it in front of me, know that it literally can make me sick. But when I get down, I just go sit with my pets or come on this website, and it makes me feel a heck of a lot better!

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
I Just had to do a four day school camp and I definately know what you mean now.
The aim of the camp was to teach us country kids about the city and we had to buy our own food and everything. I was the only vegetarian in my group which emant while they had burgers/barbeques/chinese I usually got a lettuce leaf or a bowl of plain rice. None of my group could be bothered arranging something that would suit everyone.

While we were eating i got-
Vegetables are living things too
Whats teh difference between eating animal products such as eggs and meat
Why bother?
Meat tastes better than that gross stuff

And I always get meat waved in front of my face.

My usual comeback is, why the heck are you interested in what I eat? We're a multicultural society after all

Emma

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Some people will feel threatened by a person who chooses to be different from them in some way. Many people will then purposely cause arguments, in an attempt to defend why they still eat meat. Its scary to think that the ''pakaged meat'' in the supermarket that ends up on their plate was tortured, abused and killed. Some people dont want to face the cruel truth and choose to turn a blind eye to it.

Rather than face the truth, they defend why they eat meat by saying vegetarianism is wrong e.t.c e.tc. The truth is some people are just not ready to come to terms with eating animals. Does this make it right to deliberatly question what you believe in? Not by any means. Its even more confronting when teachers/adults take it apon themselves to defend their meat eating ways.

Just think you have discovered the horrors of eating meat and know it is right to not eat it. Many people cant face the truth and guilt and choose not to listen. Simply say ''I respect your choice to eat meat the least you could do is respect mine not to eat it''.

Be proud of yourself for not eating meat. You know the truth while they can live in a candy covered world where meat is ''good'', and the animals ''werent hurt at all''. We know otherwise. One day maybe they will listen but until then ignore their comments, as long as you stand by your beliefs no one can say its wrong.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I heard a theory once that people are afriad of vegetarians becuase we seem morally superior. We have the ability to abstain from what others cannot. We also do it for reasons other cannot wrap their minds around.

*Sigh*

I usually tell people that I can live without eating animals, but I can't live and be healthy without eating plants, grains, etc. I'm at least doing something to ease the suffering in this world. What are you doing?

The Queen, you do have to realize that as you have the right to be veg, your parents have the right to choose not to be. My husband is supportive, but he still eats meat. One of the reasons my husband is so supportive is that I don't try to turn him veg all the time. I let him eat his meat in peace. I wouldn't call people eating meat around you not supportive.

Part of living as a veg in peace is not to point and stare at whats on other people's plates, giving them less reason to do so to yours. It's only polite.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice, guys. And I know Sabriel, I still let others eat meat. But when some people (including my family members) sit next to me with it and pick up a hot dog or burger and wave it in my face, I wouldn't exactly call that polite. One time I was trying to rest and my brother came over and stuffed a chicken bone in my mouth. I seriously almost vomitted. All I ask is that they respect my decisions, but I suppose some people just can't.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
My favorite argument was from years ago.

A friend of mine asked what I would happen if I was stranded on a desert island with only a cow. There was nothing to eat and I was starving.

I replied that that would be one dead cow. I would kill it and eat it.

Of course she points a finger and goes "A HA!"

I relpied. I choose not to eat meat because I don't have to and I find the act rather barbaric. I am not, however, stupid.

If I was starving I would eat meat. It comes down to survival of the fittest. Say that cow was a bear. Do you think the bear would not try to eat me because he prefers fish and berries? Heck no, that bear would kill me as soon as it got hungery and I would react the same way.

I was the first one to tell my next door neighbors that if I had been trapped here during and after the hurricane and food was scarce I would eventually have eaten their pet chickens (terribly sorry about eating your pet and all). Luckily I wasn't here but the chickens are still missing.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
But when some people (including my family members) sit next to me with it and pick up a hot dog or burger and wave it in my face, I wouldn't exactly call that polite

My husband still does this to me. He spears a bite of whatever animal he's consuming at the moment, sticks it in my face, and says, "Want a bite?" and then laughs and laughs. Not responding to it usually makes him quit.

Being an activist means trying to present information to others for the purpose of changing their mind about something, so it's a very fine line you have to walk between respecting the rights of others and still being an activist.

Something I have discovered, though, is that the more obnoxious I am about things (constantly talking about what other people are eating and talking about the suffering of the animal on their plate, etc.) the more obnoxious others are in return. Something to keep in mind ....

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Emmett

Cavy Slave
My answer to people who say vegetables have feeling too is. When vegetables start growing brain stems I'll quit eating them. If that doesn't get them off my back I'll say I've never seen a vegetable show their seeds any parental love or concern. But I mostly just ignore them, people have a habit of sticking their heads in the sand so they don't have to take any responsbility for their actions and how those actions affect others in world.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I like the one 'If everyone became vegetarian, then there would be an over population of animals'. What? If everyone became veggie, then animals wouldn't be bred in factory farms to meet the demand. People need to do their research first and give thought out answers. I've had all the insults under the sun thrown at me but not one of them has made me question my decision.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
My friends gave me hell when I first turned vegetarian. I know how it is. Stay strong and just follow your beliefs. I know it can be hard sometimes.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I find a wonderful thing to help curb meat being waved in one's face is to not bring up your diet at the dinner table. I always make arrangements before dinner if I must eat over at another person's house. I either bring a dish, help them make one, or pick one up at the store (usually the later since I most often visit people out of town).

Then when we all sit down to dinner, I'm taken care of, they are busy consuming the animal du jour, and we all talk about family, friends, gossip and what not.

We keep all of our food debates far away from the actual food. The most I've endured is the occasional "You don't even eat fish?!" or "Chicken is really made from cauliflower. Trust me."

Brothers also exist to make their sisters go nuts. That's their purpose in life. My little brothers have prank called me, doused me with water and teased me about my love life and hair cut. Nothing personal, it's just what brothers do.

Emmett

Cavy Slave
Susan9608 said:
My husband still does this to me. He spears a bite of whatever animal he's consuming at the moment, sticks it in my face, and says, "Want a bite?" and then laughs and laughs.

I know this is going to get me in trouble but Susan I have to ask you why you would put up with someone who shows you so little respect regarding your ethical beliefs? Any partner I've had would never even think about questioning me about not eating animals. They all know they'd be gone in a New York second if they wave dead animal parts in my face. Girl you need to demand more respect, you deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Girl you need to demand more respect, you deserve it.

And you need to mind your own business. This is a cavy forum, not a relationship advice forum. :)

There is nothing wrong with my relationship; my husband simply has an odd and some what child-like sense of humor. We've had many talks about my vegetarianism and when we have children, he's going to become one, as we want to raise vegetarian kids.

I appreciate your concern, though.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
My favorite was today at dinner, my sister says "Well, you're gonna die young because you don't eat meat." I was like hmm... because your clogged arteries, fat, stroke, cancer, etc. isn't going to kill you first? And later on, while talking about gelatin, my brother goes "They don't kill them for that!" I was like where do you think the ground up bones and cartilidge comes from! His reaction was "Oh, but you don't know if they just die on their own." Paleaasseee. You think factory farms want to wait until they die on their own?

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.