Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Hay In Ontario

Smitti

Cavy Slave
Hello All You Ontario Piggy People

I was just wondering how all of you stored your hay during the summer months.

Is it possible that the moisture in the air is enough to cause the hay to mold?

I was just wondering because if my mom does say yes to me getting piggies I would like to buy a larger amount of hay so that I dont have to buy it as offten.

Thanks for you help!

Smitti

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I plan to just keep it indoors in the cardboard box it came in. Hopefully it'll keep.

Did you check out canadianpetconnection.com for hay? That's where I got my Oxbow. It's only worth it if you buy in bulk though.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It should keep fine in the cardboard box. If they ship it in a plastic bag inside the box, get it out of the bag. The plastic can sometimes sweat and the extra moisture can cause your hay to mold. You might also want to poke a few air holes in the cardboard to encourage air flow.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
First off, I know this thread is getting old but, I just read it today and had a question.
We buy Kaytee hay and it is originally in a plastic bag, (if you've seen it you know what I mean) and when we got it we put it in a big zipper bag that a mattress pad came in. So my question is should we put it in somethign else for the summer?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't keep it in anything plastic at all unless you can leave it completely open.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.