Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! I bought a sow as a friend for my boar yesturday and I don't know what to do!

TheatreBAngel

Cavy Slave
I have had my boar for about 7-9 months. He's so sweet and cute, but we were going to the pet store the other day to get a new cage (I know, I know, but we couldn't find cage materials near us, the cage we bought is huge and we bought two of them and connected them.) and there were all these adorable cavies and so my Mom was all 'I really wish we could adopt one' and 'Oh, Charlie really needs a friend' and finally she talked me into getting another one. Well, they only had one boy and it was fully grown, so we thought it might fight with Charlie and instead got a female that I named Ginny. I got home and took care of them and stuff. Charlie REALLY liked her right away if you catch my drift. Just now, the next morning I read the page on 'Breeding' at CavySpirit.com and I had no idea!! I don't want either of them to die! What do I do?! Can you spay or neuter guinea pigs? How much does it cost? Please help! I have another cage, but they were all cuddled up in a corner this morning together, and I hate to seperate them! Please help!

SpikenCal

Cavy Slave
You need to separate them immediately. She could already be pregnant.

Yes, guinea pigs can be neutered, and it is safer to neuter a male than a female. If you don't already have a good gp vet, start looking. There is a site that helps locate small animal/exotics/rodent vets, but of course I don't remember it. Anyone else know the link? If that doesn't work, contact a local rescue and they will definitely know of a good vet as they have to use them often. Also, you can just call around to local vets, some may have ads in the phone book that list their specialties. If they're not sure if the doctor neuters gps, or if you ask them any specifics on the procedure and they don't know the answer right off, I wouldn't trust them. They may be great vets for other animals, but they need to have LOTS of experience with guinea pig neuters as it is a delicate surgery. Some aren't as up front as they should be, but some will do their best to refer you to a good vet.

I know it's hard to have to separate them, I had to do it with mine (until I found out they were both females, lol), but it's absolutely necessary for the health and safety of both of them, not to mention their possible offspring.

Best of luck to you! :)

chordita

Cavy Slave
You need to separate them NOW. There is a chance that she may not be pregnant so you can still save the situation. Pregnancy can bring on many complications for both the mom and the babies, you don't want to end up with dead or ill pigs.

Even if she's already pregnant, you still have to separate them as backbreeding can occur and possibly kill your sow. I suggest you find a competent vet and neuter your boar if you really want to keep them together. Please read this link to prepare yourself should she be pregnant: https://guinealynx.info/breeding.html.

PLEASE don't take this situation lightly. Please separate them NOW.

Cars_N_Cavys

Cavy Slave
Enlighten me, other than the possibility of having babies, whats wrong with having a pair of the opposite sex?

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Cars_N_Cavys

Cavy Slave
cavylover said:
nothing. nothing at all
Then why is everyone freaking out saying "SEPARATE THEM NOW!!"?? Are their certain dangers to cavy's when facing pregnancy?

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Yeah, death of the sow is a pretty good danger. Overpopulation of guinea pigs, overcrowded shelters, finding decent homes, making sure those pigs are not being bred, housing concerns, food, vet care....

Cars_N_Cavys

Cavy Slave
NoVeil said:
Yeah, death of the sow is a pretty good danger. Overpopulation of guinea pigs, overcrowded shelters, finding decent homes, making sure those pigs are not being bred, housing concerns, food, vet care....
So.....................The same things we humans go through huh? :-D

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Cars_N_Cavys

Cavy Slave
DANG!! Tell us how you really feel! haha! I have to agree with ya on that one, having baby piggies for no good reason is just plain stupid. I guess you have this same situation in every species of pet.....

GuineaGirl

Cavy Slave
cavylover said:
Get a life and stop breeding.
Alright, now that is not very nice. I understand that you are against breeding Cavys for many reasons. But people make mistakes, I know that if they would have looked up on sows before hand things would be different. But there is no reason to pounce on them like that. There are thousands of people out there eating guinea pigs right now. Just be happy you are taking care of yours okay? I am the same way with dogs, but there is a point in life where you gotta let go, and quit worrying about everything, and just take care of what you got. If you have room to adopt a poor piggy, than do so, but do not force your ideas on people like that. No matter what anyone says on here, they can either take it as a piece of mind, or walk away and never give a care. We all love our piggies! Some people out there do not. But we can only do so much. Save what you can, but remember, are you really saving them if you have too many to handle??? I believe that this message board is for people to learn, not be insulted. Insulting someone because of an honest mistake is improper. I am sure they are doing what they need to do.

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
SEPERATE THEM NOW!!!!!! I agree, she could already be pregnant!!! And go them neutered or spayed! It cost me about $80 to get my boar neutered.

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I dont think breeding is a good idea at all. You should seperate those two pigs right away! When a sow has babies it could possibly kill her!! Besides every guinea pig born from irresponsible breeding means death to a pig at a shelter! Anyways it is a better option to have the male neutered. I think it is a little safer. You can read all about finding a good vet and things like that on this site under 'breeding' and 'adding a second cavy'

90katrina90

Cavy Slave
Re: Help! I bought a sow as a friend for my boar yesturday and I don't know what to do!

Umm.. one little litter will not cause that much damage.. they only have 3 or 4 in their first litter. Plus it's a very low risk that she'll die.. VERY low. So don't panic too much.. most the time their fine. Just the same with any animal.. why would God only make it so guinea pigs had more trouble when giving birth, it's the same risk with any female animal..human etcc..?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Help! I bought a sow as a friend for my boar yesturday and I don't know what to do!

90katrina90, you are extremely close to being banned. I do believe you would be better suited to another, less enlightened forum.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave

Not the same risks. After 6 months of age a sow's pelvic bones can fuse together making natural birth impossible. In this case she'd had to have a c-section or she and the babies would not make it. Just like with any other living creature...just because it can reproduce doesn't mean it should. You should definately seperate the male and female, get the male fixed, and hope the sow hasn't already gotten pregnant.

phantac

Cavy Slave

My god, what hostility there is. Why would katrina be close to being banned. What did she say that was so dreadful. Boy some of you are really nasty. It seems if someone says something you dont belive in or dont like you really pounce on them. If you dont agree with something fine say so in an adult fashion and move on. Whats the fun of joining in on these forums if your afraid of posting cause someone is going to be nasty. Who's going to blast me now?

jojomuffin

Cavy Slave

rather than blast you, i totally agree with you :)

my sis in law said last night that some people have animals cos they cant deal with other people heh :)

i guess in some instances - this could be correct lol!

j/k!

xjox

citronsoul

Cavy Slave

While I think that some people here can get a bit snappy, their intentions are good. A lot of people on this forum, from what I've read go to great lengths to benefit the well-being of guinea pigs.

And on this forum, breeding just isn't tolerated. Katarina had various posts mentioning her breeding & that's why she's close to being banned.

My personal stance is kind of "lost in the middle somewhere." I would never breed myself, but I do post on other pro-breeding forums. My only beef with breeding is if
a. The person is intentionally breeding, but hasn't really considered what to do with the babies. They just want to see what "pops out."
b. The person is inbreeding (increases health risks to sow & babies.)
c. They breed for profit, & don't really care about the guinea pigs well-being.
d. They keep breeding because they just can't get the right curl (or something similar) & failures are dumped.

Yet at the same time, while people breed, people like CavySpirit spend a lot of their time & effort rehoming guinea pigs that have been abandoned (a lot due to what I mentioned above.) They obviously don't jump up for joy when a breeder comes on here.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave

I think what a lot of people that feel breeding “just one litter” is okay don’t see is that overpopulation happens one litter at a time.

Imagine that you want to breed “just one litter”. Now, imagine how many other people are out there thinking the exact same thing. Let’s say there are 20 people (a VERY low number) that want “just one litter”. Each litter consists of 3 pups. That’s 60 Guinea Pigs. Let’s say 50 of those pigs find homes. How many will end up in homes that want “just one litter? Maybe half? So we add about another 75 pups. This will keep going on and on. Don’t forget that the first few generations will happen within the first year.

Of course many of these pigs will end up in shelters, horrible living situations and kept in mixed sex cages where they will just keep breeding and breeding. Next thing you know Teresa (or one of the other rescuers) is getting a call about a hoarder with over 100 guinea pigs. However, her home shelter is full (as are most of the others). Who is going to take them? Guess what...if you bred “just one litter” you should be responsible.

You can say...but it was “just one litter” I’m not responsible. You can say...”I kept all of the babies” but you could have rescued instead of breeding and reduced the numbers out there.

Face facts. If you have been told of the overpopulation problem, and if you are on this board you know there is a problem, yet you still want to breed or support breeding then you are IRRESPONSIBLE.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.