Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bending grids without breaking

csharpmajor

Cavy Slave
I'm making a new hayrack, because my old design was taking up a whole corner of their cage... I've decided to go with a bent grid. Nice and simple right? Just a question, are you really supposed to bend *along* the join? Seems like a surefire way to pop it to me, I've already wrecked one grid :( Also my grids only have one join, not two like the online instructions I found said. Not sure if this matters.

My pigs' ramp is made out of bent grids. I actually think that you can bend it either way, however, my finished ramp has the frame of the grid, and then the pieces that actually make the squares (the pieces of metal going across and up and down) are on the outside of the bend. I don't really know if that makes a bunch of sense, but that's how I did it. I just think the trick is bending them slowly and gently until you get the amount of bend that you want. In the photo gallery, there's a step by step instruction on how to bend a grid. Here's the link of the first picture. After that, just keep going over to the right to look at how to finish it. I'm not sure if you've seen these picture already, but I hope they help!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=372&cat=523

Which ever side the joins are on you want to bend the opposite side. It will break if you bend along the joins. If it only has on join jsut bend along the opposite side.

Oh. Whoops xD Stupidest thing is, I thought it would break if I bent it that way but I stuck to the instructions (which I must have read wrong) anyway.

I'll just... put the broken end against the side of the cage. *whistles*

You can take some duct tape and cover the edge too.
I broke several grid because I did not read carefully and did not realize there was a right way to bend it. lol

My hubby bent some, and I did also. We took a PVC pipe and layed it over the area we wanted it bent. Grabbed both sides and pulled slowly, and it bent and didn't break. It worked like a gem. Hope it works for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.