View Full Version : Getting our first piggy's on Sunday!!

04-12-06, 09:54 am
Hey all, I'm brand new to this-just registered today, although I have been looking around and reading posts to get some start up information. I love in southeastern MN with my hubby and three kids, ages 15, 7 1/2 and 4 1/2. I would appreciate any and all advice...

We have made our c&c cage. I was lucky enough that my hubby works for a major beverage company and was able to bring me some of their unused signs for free. Saved a lot. We have a 2x3 cage with a 1x2 loft. Now we are just waiting to fill it with our new piggys! We are planning to pick them up on Sunday from a lady who no longer wants them. I just have couple of concerns, tho'. They are siblings. Do you think this will cause any problems? I was unable to determine their sex for sure because the were pretty skittish and didn't want to sit still. The vet in our area said they will sex them for me free. Also, I am guessing that it would be a good idea to have any male neutered?? I would rather not have any babies. My kids are so excited and have been trying out names for the last month. I told them that they need to pick out one of each or make them unisex since we don't know for sure what they are.

Anyway-I'm happy to be here and look forward to sharing information with all of you!!!


04-12-06, 12:51 pm
Are the piggies together right now? If you are unsure of the sex and they're together, there's already a risk of pregnancy. If they're separated and you want to keep them together, have the male neutered, then keep them separated for another month, because that's how long it takes for the sperm to die out.

Make sure this lady is not a breeder, it sounds a bit suspicious.

As for advice, if you haven't already, check out www.guinealynx.info (http://www.guinealynx.info) for everything there is to know!

04-12-06, 01:22 pm
Thanks for the reply. I should have taken a little more time to explain myself. She is not a breeder. She bought a female from a pet store that ended up being pregnant. They have been housed together and I realize that there may be a chance of one of them being prengnant. I would rather take them from her and take that chance than leave them with her since I don't believe she is very educated in what they need. I will have him (if there are any) neutered and will keep them apart for awhile. I guess my biggest concern is if they will eventually house well together since they are siblings??

I have checked out all the linx and think that we are more than ready!!Thanks again.