Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I want to adopt! HOUSTON TX

alessa

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I used to have a guinea pig when I was younger (9 yrs. old). Freddy was bought from a petstore (it was a present), and he died within a year and a half. I am much older now and know WAY MORE about taking care of them.

I am going out of town this weekend and on June 10th, so I'm holding off on adopting until then, that way I won't be leaving them alone when they're just getting used to my house.

I am in the process of putting together a CC cage. My boyfriend was in charge of locating coroplast dealers, and since I'm in Houston I have a feeling it won't be hard. He's found places already so now it's just time for comparing. I was in charge of finding an exotic vet and looking for the gp themselves. Found the vet, but not the gps! I was curious and looked at some pet stores... so sad. I saw one petstore who were feeding their gps pellets w/ sunflower seeds (shells attached!) AND were using pine bedding. So sad...

Anyway, I am looking for 2 guinea pigs (especially important since I'm still in college and I am gone for about 5 hrs a day)... anyone know of gps needing homes in Houston? There is a shelter here called Citizens for Animal Protection and I checked them out yesterday, but they only had 1 female. I would like to have 2 females.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely stay out of the pet store for a whole long list of reasons. See this site for rescues, shelters, and private listings near you: (broken link removed)

alessa

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I definitely wasn't planning on getting one at the pet stores. I've pretty much called around most of the rescues around here... I was just wondering if anyone knew someone personally who needed homes for their piggies.

TxTchr

Cavy Slave
alessa said:
Yeah, I definitely wasn't planning on getting one at the pet stores. I've pretty much called around most of the rescues around here... I was just wondering if anyone knew someone personally who needed homes for their piggies.
Hi there,

I don't know what part of Houston you live in, but the Bay Area SPCA located here in the Clear Lake area seems to always have pigs available. If you go to www.bayareaspca.org, click on Adoptions, then "others". It looks like they have two available right now.

Good luck!

freddiec67

Cavy Slave
TxTchr said:
Hi there,

I don't know what part of Houston you live in, but the Bay Area SPCA located here in the Clear Lake area seems to always have pigs available. If you go to www.bayareaspca.org, click on Adoptions, then "others". It looks like they have two available right now.

Good luck!

You can also check (broken link removed). This is where I got my two male guinea pigs.

Cars_N_Cavys

Cavy Slave
Why stay out of the pet stores? Dont those piggies have the right to a fair chance at a decent home? If you see a piggie that you want at a pet store, and it is being improperly taken care of, why not give that GP a try? Just curious.....

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Buying from a pet store only supports a vicious cycle of overbreeding and abuse. More pigs "in the system" really aren't needed. You're rewarding the store for poor care and abuse.

What's wrong with the shelter/resuce piggies? Why don't you give an already homeless piggie a chance? I've adopted two pigs from a rescue and they're awesome pigs!

Alessa, kudos to you for checking the shelters for adoptable pigs and I wish you the best of luck in finding two sweet little girls.

AnjiBlack

Cavy Slave
2 Guinea Pig Need a Loving Home

Hello. I have two guinea pigs that I rescued from a neighbor. They are very sweet and I refuse to seperate them. The female is black and has a damaged ear but she is still sweet and cute. The male is reddish-brown and black; I call him "Moe" because he looks like he has a mohawk.

I desperately need to find a home for them!! If you are interested, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I live in Magnolia, TX; which is 30 miles from Houston.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
AnjiBlack, is this a breeding pair, or is one of them spayed/neutered?

If they're both intact, separate immediately!

AnjiBlack

Cavy Slave
Re: Breeding Pair

To be honest, I do not know if they are male/female. I was told that one is male and the other is female and I really do not have much knowledge about guinea pigs!! Is there an easy way to tell?

alessa

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to say but I it's too late! I adopted two piggies last tuesday! Aww.. if I could I'd adopt them from you, but 4 is just too many for me right now!

I do hope you have a non-breeding pair though! I went to a vet who wasn't so sure about the sexes of my two piggies, and it gave me quite a scare. Of course, I had them seperated, and I just recently put them together after going to a more competent vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.