Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Alphalfa/Orchard Grass Hay

Amybuster

Cavy Slave
Is it okay to feed cavies a alphalfa/orchard grass hay on a daily basis? The Timothy you buy at the store is stale and dusty. I have a horse and feed the alphalfa/orchard grass blend which is very fresh. I know that alphalfa can be a bit rich.

Any info would be appreciated.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mooser

Cavy Slave
Alfalfa also has lots of calcium which isn't good in cavies over 6 months or a year. I only feed alfalfa to my nursing pig and her babies. You can try ordering Timothy or plain orchard grass from Oxbow (they have a variety).

(broken link removed)

also, I've heard great things about this hay:

(broken link removed)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If you can find Oxbow hay, I think it is the best you can buy in a store. At least it is in my area. Orchard hay is great for your piggie. If there is any way you can get this without the Alfalfa mixed in it would be wonderful. Hope this helps! =)

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Amybuster said:
I have a horse and feed the alphalfa/orchard grass blend which is very fresh.
If you live in an area where you can get horse supplies, you should be able to find a feed store that sells Timothy. I can buy it from my local feed store for $20 a bale which is practically free compared to the tiny bags they sell at the pet store. You probably have a good place to store it since you have the horse.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I have found that (broken link removed) has the most variety, freshest smelling and quickest shipping hay around. Cujo loves the sweetmeadow farm hay and the orchard grass. Give Al a try - you won't be disappointed!

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
White Plains is 20 - 25 minutes north of NYC. I also forgot to mention that Cujo loves Oat hay as well. Does anyone one know how nutritious oat hay is for guinea pigs?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.