Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

i need some advice about temperature

lawita

Cavy Slave
I live in a real hot country ( in central america , not US) i keep my piggie in the garage cause i have no room anywhere else. I don't know it the temperature would affect him. I read in one of chats that sun light is bad for them. he is out of direct sunlight, but i need to know about the heat. i hope some one hear knows.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
The temperature range should be between 65 degrees F and 75 degrees F. Any warmer and you run the risk of heat stroke.

chipinator

Cavy Slave
Garages tend to get really hot in the summer. Try putting a fan blowing at the cage from so far away.

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
This post greatly concerns me. How hot are the temperatures going to get for your poor, little pigger?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You don't keep cars in the garage do you?

lawita

Cavy Slave
ok, so i kinda realized the garage is not the best place for my ito ( gp) but my for the moment it's the only place i have for him. i'm not sure how high the temperature will get but i'm pretty sure its over 75 ºF. what i have been doing is taking him into an air conditioned room when the temperature is too hot. and yes, we park cars in the garage. is that a bad thing?
I'm working on building him a cage as soon as possible. the thing is the materials needed aren't very common or a little more expensive here. this new cage will be inside the house, in a hall way which isn't as hot.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Yes, that is definitely a bad thing. The fumes from the cars will kill him. He needs to get inside ASAP.

lawita

Cavy Slave
are there like invisible fumes or something? it doesn't seem like my cars are letting any fumes out. but tnx! I'll really try to get him inside! its kinda hard cause my mom won't believe me :S she thinks i'm exagerating

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Carbon Monoxide is one of the most deadly gases around. And that is what comes out of the exhaust pipes of any car. Carbon Monoxide is invisble (most gases are), however you should be able to smell it. I would definately not keep a Guinea Pig anywhere near a car.

lawita

Cavy Slave

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
Please make sure that you never, ever keep your guinea pig in a closed garage with cars that have just been running. The heat from the engine can make it several degrees hotter, not to mention the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning with no ventilation for your tiny pigger's lungs.

That little fella needs out of the garage **IMMEDIATELY.** He's being served a death sentence, and it's not fair.

Is there any way you can:

- temporarily house him in a box/smaller cage from petstore INDOOORS where it is cool and non-toxic?
- get him out of the garage and indoors now?
- buy alternative housing materials and build a cage? C&C is always best, but there are endless other solutions at your local hardware store.

Please keep us posted. I've been very concerned about this guinea pig. I'm glad that you are at least trying to do the right thing.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
lawita said:
are there like invisible fumes or something? it doesn't seem like my cars are letting any fumes out. but tnx! I'll really try to get him inside! its kinda hard cause my mom won't believe me :S she thinks i'm exagerating

Have you seen the exhaust pipe on a car? Thats where the fumes are coming from. If she thinks you are exaggerating let her know that people have killed themselves by closing themselves in a garage with a car running. I know it is a bit morbid but that is what your pigs are breathing in.

lawita

Cavy Slave
My garage isn't closed.I call a garage a roof over some columns. It has alot of ventilation, the heat is caused by the natural environtment. I do accept the cars might make a problem. Trust me I'm trying to find the best place for him right now.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
That is a bit better then but they still can be hurt from the fumes. Think of it as you sitting next to a pipe that is blowing out bad gas right in your face. Plus pigs are much smaller and more sensitive to that then we are. Good luck in finding a better place for him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.