Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A Cool Idea for Pellets

LBKK

Cavy Slave
Hi all! Wanted to share a really cool idea! I went and bought one of those cat water dishes that have the plastic container on top - like a mini water cooler. It has this long narrow piece that leads down to the dish part so that when the water goes down into the dish, it'll fill up the dish, but not over fill it. I cut off the long narrow part with an exacto knife so it made a larger hole. Then I filled it up with pellets! Now my girls have unlimited pellets and I only need to refill it about once every 2 weeks! I thought i'd share it with you all as it works so wonderfully!!! I've attached a pic of it. It's on the bottom pic.

Happy Friday everyone!!!

Laura.

(broken link removed)

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Clever idea! Well done!

C&K

Cavy Slave
Very clever. however many pigs cannot self regulate their pellet intake, and if they are on alfalfa pellets, they should never get unlimited pellets.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I have a rabbit version of that, I used to use it but then the unlimited pellets made them all fat!

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
Yes, LB, I agree with the others. The idea itself is absolutely clever. Unfortunately, since guinea pigs should not have unlimited pellets, you might want to alter the idea a bit.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, since guinea pigs should not have unlimited pellets, you might want to alter the idea a bit.
Some pigs on a good timothy pellet manage to watch their own waistlines and don't eat too much. Really depends on the pig, Timothy pellets give you more flexibility then Alfalfa, which need to be very strictly controlled.

LBKK

Cavy Slave
My piggies are not fat and are pretty good with it. In fact, one is a tiny little skinny thing. Id love it if she actually ate more! They love their hay and veggies way more than the pellets so it's been working for us so far. Right now I'm feeding them Timothy pellets.

C&K

Cavy Slave
If you think she is underweight I wonder if she would actually benifit from having a little alfalfa based pellet mixed in? Maybe 1 part alfalfa to 3 parts timothy?

If her veggies are monitored for Ca : Ph carefully, it probably would not hurt.

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
Gosh, I wish my boys were that way! They are such pellet monsters. Of course, Tweetie loves the alfalfa pellets that are really for his younger "brother" Lemondrop. I have to monitor them closely.

I will soon be getting Oxbow timothy pellets and doing away with alfalfa entirely - just waiting for Lemon to get old enough.

LBKK

Cavy Slave
Alfalfa is a good idea, BUT Keiko is at a good weight, if I did alfalfa she'd probably get fat! Keira is the tiny skinny one so alfalfa would probably help her, however, there's no way to give it to her, and not to Keiko without separating them and I dont want to even consider that.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If the pigs are over 6 months, it's a bad idea to give unlimited pellets. This would work for young pigs who can have unlimited.

Some pigs on a good timothy pellet manage to watch their own waistlines and don't eat too much.
I'm not sure how much I agree with this statement. If you stick food, whether it be veggies, hay or pellets in front of a pig, they are going to eat it.

LBKK

Cavy Slave
Well, I thought it was a good idea!! I guess I'll watch ther weights and if they start to get chubby, I'll take it out.....but like I said, they arent huge fans of pellets anyways. They hold out for the good stuff!! (Morning and evening salads!)

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I think it's a cute idea and I think it would work very well for some pigs. In theory I know that free feeding is a no-no, but some pigs just aren't that interested in pellets and would be fine with a feeder like this. I have an older girl who NEVER eats her daily amount of pellets and I would feel fine with one of these feeders in her cage. Swiper on the other hand would easily top 5 lbs by the end of the week if she had one of these because she lives for pellets! lol

LovesCavies

Cavy Slave
I use a cat food feeder that dispenses food too, but my piggies are only 3 months old. I guess I will wait and see how they do as they get older.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.