Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the site

SilentSecret

Cavy Slave
Hi. I just joined this site. I have a 3 year old guinea pig. I got her from my friend, who bought herself a piggy, and within a short time, she had babies. I adopted the runt of the family, who was known as two-tone because she's half black, half brown. Her squeak is rather loud and eventually her name became Squeaky. Last night I found a lump on her neck. :(

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Just a few things though. Glad to know you adopted! However, I am wondering if your friend was breeding the pig that had babies? Also, I would suggest going to the vet about the lump. I'm not going to give any medical advice because I'm not completely knowledgable. Some of the other members may be able to help more though! Once again, welcome!

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Yes, hello and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I agree, get her to a guinea pig knowledgable vet quickly for that lump.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums. I agree with the other, get the guinea pig to a cavy savvy vet. You can look at www.guinealynx.com to find out what it might be, but you'll still need to bring it to the vet just in case.

SilentSecret

Cavy Slave
Hi. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

My friend had only bought the pig and she had no intentions of breeding. Lucky for me, the pig must have been pregnant when she got her.

I really want to take her to the vet and as soon as I can, I will. But that might be a predicament. I'm 16. Vets cost money. I don't know if they charge you for a check up and I hope they don't. I'm 16, no job, and no source of money. My parents might not help out either, mainly because I don't have a good relationship with them. Which only makes this situation worse. :ashamed: I feel ashamed because there's something wrong with her and I'm not sure if I can get her the help she needs.

I checked the site. It talked about ovarian tumors. But the picture showed that that lump is way bigger then what I found on my piggy. But that could be me finding it while its small? Or something.

Mazzy1893

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! It is really great that you came here looking for help and hopefully you find some good advice. If she had ovarian tumors they would not be found on her neck but rather in her abdomen. I understand your predicament but maybe you have an older sibling or grandparent who would be willing to lend you the money until you can pay them back? Guineas are quite the investment and you may want to look into getting a job to pay for her medical needs as well as her food etc. You could see if you could get a job at a vets office that will offer you a discount on care. Good luck.

SilentSecret

Cavy Slave
Mazzy1893 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum! It is really great that you came here looking for help and hopefully you find some good advice. If she had ovarian tumors they would not be found on her neck but rather in her abdomen. I understand your predicament but maybe you have an older sibling or grandparent who would be willing to lend you the money until you can pay them back? Guineas are quite the investment and you may want to look into getting a job to pay for her medical needs as well as her food etc. You could see if you could get a job at a vets office that will offer you a discount on care. Good luck.
Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'm glad that I know its not that. I don't want her to have any kind of tumor.
I have on older sibling, but he hate animals and is quite a jerk. Grandparents are also out of the question. I have one left and she's very sick.... I've been able to get money for pet supplies through babysitting jobs, but they've stopped happening. I'm trying to get a job now. And hopefully I will have one soon. Maybe I could mke some kind of deal with my parents. Either way I will find a way.

Mazzy1893

Cavy Slave
Definetly try making a deal with your parents, maybe you can work out some sort of payment plan with them? That is what I am doing when I go to college next year. I will pay them monthly for food and other care needs. I am also paying for vet care I set aside a savings account just for my dog and guinea so that I can put money in over the summer and my parents can take it out as needed. Maybe you can do some I.O.U.s and pay them interest or something? Good luck.

SilentSecret

Cavy Slave
Mazzy1893 said:
Definetly try making a deal with your parents, maybe you can work out some sort of payment plan with them? That is what I am doing when I go to college next year. I will pay them monthly for food and other care needs. I am also paying for vet care I set aside a savings account just for my dog and guinea so that I can put money in over the summer and my parents can take it out as needed. Maybe you can do some I.O.U.s and pay them interest or something? Good luck.
Hopefully. Maybe it'll work. Thanks for the help.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Best of luck.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

C&K

Cavy Slave
You really need to get her to a vet very very very soon. It sounds like it could be an abscess, and if it is, it will get worse and cause a whole heap of trouble. It may need very aggressive attention!

At 16 you should be able to find some sort of job, even if it is just babysitting, or even cleaning up yards as spring is finally hear and most people need to get their yards ready for the fair weather. Just be smart about it, bring a friend and split the money if possible, at the very least, stand well back from anyone you approach and do not go into any strange houses, not for anything!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.