Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Unexpected Animal Encounters

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Okay, so when I first became a vegetarian I thought that I just wouldn't eat beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc, etc. But after a while of becoming acquainted with all of the ingredients labels at the store, I'm really amazed at how much stuff has animal products in it. I mean, chewing gum? Gelatin? Alcohol? Juice? Some of the stuff is really unexpected! So, I'm really trying to be careful and censor what I eat and what goes into what I eat, but it's hard, especially when you're in a restaurant, you know? I've always loved gum, and it was horrible when I found out it was made with animal products. It's been one of the hardest things for me to give up. Anybody have any other quirky foods that have animal products that they want to share, so that other people will know about them? Or does anyone know certain brands of these weird foods that don't have animal products in them?

And secondly, since things like gum base and gelatin don't actually have physical meat in them, but are made with animal parts (bones and muscle for gelatin, for example), are they considered meat products? I avoid anything that has gelatin, gum, riboflavin, etc, in the ingredients list, but where is the line drawn? Do they "count" as meat? Are you a true vegetarian if you eat these things? How many of you eat Jell-O or pudding or chew gum? What do you guys all think? I'd like to hear your opinions. :)

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
it says the fries are cooked vegetable oil with beef flavoring. It had problems in India.

I don't think that's true anymore. I have a teacher that's a very dedicated vegan and she researched that topic. Now, they are cooked in vegetable ingredients, it used to be cooked in animal fats.

Faunn
Faunn

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Though the ingredients vary from country to country (contrary to what they advertise) sadly Canadian McDonald's fries have beef fat too

Fries - Large
Ingredients:
French Fries: Potatoes, a blend of partially hydrogenated fat and oil (beef fat and cottonseed oil), may contain dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate and cooked in A/V shortening (beef fat and cottonseed oil, monoglyceride citrate, propyl gallate, propylene glycol).
Salt : Salt.

That was taken from https://www.mcdonalds.ca

I usually only go to McDonald's for the occasional breakfast. It's good to know though since my SIL seems to love picking places like McDonald's where there is almost nothing for me to eat.

It's back to the good old standby of a Fruit and Yogurt parfait.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The Fruit and Nut salad with the candied walnuts (YUM!) and yogurt to dip the apples and grapes in is really good too Sabriel.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
We don't have that in Canada, Percy's Mom. Not that I have seen. We do have apple slices and carmel for kids.

What happened to the good old days where you could get a pizza from McDonald's up here. They had the best personal pan pizzas!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Oh the horror! The hashbrowns have beef fat too! :( Now I can't have my Sunday morning hashbrowns. My McGriddle minus pork seems safe though as long as the blasted people can figure out that I want a *meatless" McGriddle. I mean really, do I have to show up in a PETA t-shirt to get the point across?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Do you get your McGriddle without the egg as well? If not, don't they cook the eggs on the same grill they do the bacon and sausage on? Or do they use frozen egg patties and microwave them? Being lucky enough to have avoided working in fast food, I honestly am not sure.

Faunn

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

At the bottom:
No products are certified as vegetarian; all products may contain trace amounts of ingredients derived from animals.

charliesangel88

Cavy Slave
This all is extremely shocking to me. I rarely eat at McDonalds and only do when my family and I are out, and need something quick to eat. I've always gotten a fruit & nut salad (as I am a vegetarian...wanting to be vegan) and fries thinking that was the only meat-less option for me. But now I've read that they put beef oils, etc. in their fries?? I mean really, what is the point? Do they like murdering animals?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
charliesangel88 said:
Do they like murdering animals?? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well, they DO make the majority of their money from burgers. I doubt too many people in the company think of it as murder at all. They're thinking $$$$$.

Faunn

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I assume that any products I don't make myself are not certified vegetarian. I worked in the food industry. Things that are under a certain amount are not required to be listed on the ingredients list.

I just try my best.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I think as long as people continue to educate themselves to best of their ability in the hope to end animal suffering, then that in itself is success. I never knew the french fries had beef in them. I never eat them but my sister will munch on her kids fries and she is a vegatarian. She would be horrified. I was glad to see that Crackel Barrell lists what cooked veggies have meat in them. I would rather they not use it, but at least they notify the consumer. Does anyone continue to cook meat for their spouses/boyfriends/significant other though they do not eat it themselves?

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Over here Mcdonalds has at least some vegge products. Their vege pesto deli choice thingo is meat free ( I checked quite a few times before getting one) and of course things like the garden salads and that.

If you wnat fries the ebst place o get them is KFc and just order em without chicken salt. Over here its the only place that does not use meat products to cook it in, at least our local one dosn't.

Even though places have some veggie products, i don't think it'll help my parents. I've been veggie for THREE MONTHS and mum bought me CHICKEN NUGGETS as a snack today Arrrrrrgh. My Dad ended up having them but still, it was entirely pointless to buy them in the first place.

Emma

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.