Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Any ideas?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Any ideas if there's anywhere you can get re-usable 'puppy pads' - for using under fleece - in the UK? I got some disposable ones to try from Pets at Home - but would rather not use disposables (sounds like a nappy debate!).
(Sorry - I know it's Pets at Home, and I should know better - we're severely stuck round here for choice).

muffin

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen any, but I haven't looked very hard either. I saw washable baby matress pads at IKEA, but since I live in an apartment it wouldn't be practical to wash and dry them. I use newspapers, then a couple of layers of cheap white towels, then pale blue cheap IKEA fleece. Pale colours make any blood in the urine instantly easy to spot. My pigs tend to pee mostly in one corner, and the towels beneath were getting soaked, so now I put a couple of layers of newspaper into the corner, with kitchen paper on top, which I chnage twice a day to get rid of most of the pee and poop. It's not ideal, but carefresh is pretty expensive, and this works well. Very little pee makes it down to the newspaper, even under the pigloo, where they pee whilst sleeping. I can't help thinking that if there is so much pee that you need puppy pads, there's maybe too much pee down there full stop and you might as well change the cage out. I do it twice a week, but could probably get away with once now that I am doing the corner thing and just change the towels under the pigloo every couple of days. On the other hand if puppy pads neutralise pee odour, and draw pee down out of the towels then that would work great, because I find it tends to stay in the towels and not travel down to the newspaper. Let me know what your experiences have been like!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I've used fleece on top of newspapers for over a year now and have no problems with smell or mess. Two of my three pigs use a litter tray, though.

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
Just an idea but how about asking a vets if they can order any in? Ours order toys and the such if we can't find them anywere. Just an idea.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Haven't tried the puppy-pads yet. Am away for a week soon, and thought the puppy pads would be a better option for my kind friends/neighbours who are looking after Mary and Marble - rather than asking them to clean out the cage completely. I quite like the idea of them though - but not disposable ones. I find that towels do 'hold' the pee - especially under bed areas - I thought it would be more pleasant all round if it was drawn away from the surface. (Not yet poopee tray trained!).
At the moment just use layers of newspapers (donated by more kind neighbours!) and shredded paper (from the school I work in) - shavings made TOO MUCH MESS! - and have just started using fleece in the loft. The large fleeces for the main area is drying on the line as we speak! (it finally stopped raining!!!)
I'm sure anything would be an improvement on this!

If hear no other ideas re. reusable pads, will give the vet a try. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.