PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Gizmo with pics

munchkin
04-02-06, 08:31 am
So, I'm sitting in my livingroom, folding clothes yesterday when my phone rings. It was my vet. A woman had come in on Friday to get help in sexing her new litter. (another apparent case of petshop mishandling) After checking them over, it was discovered that she had two girls and one little boy. The woman wasn't sure how old the babies were but figured they were right around three to four weeks. She had thought that she had three girls until the little guy started trying to do what little guys try to do. (Yeah, that is going to turn out well. Can anyone say OOPS?) So Doc R. told her that he knew of someone who might be willing to take in the little fellow, that he would have a good life with lots of brothers to play with and show him the ropes. I was called and basically told that if I couldn't take him the woman wanted him euthanized. Well, what else could I do? I arranged for my husband to pick him up on his way home from "Daddy -Daughter day" at the college. Gizmo joined my family last night at about 9:30pm. Now since we don't have any rescues around here, but lots of pet stores, I deal mostly with rehomes. I think the youngest I have ever gotten was approximately three months. Dealing with one this young is totally new to me. He has no idea what veggies are, let alone what to do with them. Thankfully, I still have some cavy performance left over in the freezer from Alphie who just transitioned to the cavy cuisine. I'll have to get some hay today for him. After quarentine, he will join my four boys in a 29.5 square foot custom cage, if intros go well. My daughter had the privilege of naming this one. So everyone, I'd like to introduce you to Gizmo.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/Gizmo.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/Gizmo2.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/Gizmo3.jpg

Slap Maxwell
04-02-06, 08:35 am
Oh, he is darling! Congrats.

WEAVER
04-02-06, 08:37 am
OHHHHHH----so tiny :) He is cute. Great job on saving the poor little guy!

Aertyn
04-02-06, 08:51 am
Oh, isn't he just so cute, and, that women, I don't know how anyone could do that.

munchkin
04-02-06, 09:04 am
I don't know how anyone could do that.

Tell me about it. Like I said, what else could I do? I just had to take him. The vet called and once he said "euthanized", I knew I was going to take him.

I_<3_cavies
04-02-06, 09:27 am
Thats so nice munchkin!!!! Good luck he looks really sweet.

kimgrif
04-02-06, 09:39 am
Adorable!!! I'm so glad you were able to take him! I just don't understand heartless people...

My Baby Mu
04-02-06, 09:50 am
I'm glad you were able to take him. He is such a cutie.

munchkin
04-02-06, 03:11 pm
So, I thought, since I am introducing my new little guy, I'd get some updated pics of the other boys on here and give some info on how they got their names.

Rocky: He came with that name and he knows it, so I thought why change now.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/b86eee6b.jpg

Cookie / Rex: Well, "He started out as cookie, came with that name, but after calling him a her a few million times, we thought we needed to change it. Since he looks like a rex rabbit, we started to call him Rex.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/Cookie-Rex.jpg

Checker: When we first got Checker he was in the floor with my daughter and she was playing checkers, He kept pushing the checker pieces around with his nose, so Checker was the obvious choice.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/0475f90b.jpg

BabyGrl
04-02-06, 03:13 pm
He is so cute and so tiny. I remember when my Ringo was that small.

munchkin
04-02-06, 03:15 pm
Now finally, Alphie: My husband named him. He said that he looked like a smaller version of the alien from the ALF TV show. Not wanting to call him Alf, I settled on Alphie.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/b7a2065d.jpg

I can hardly wait to introduce the boys to our newest addtion. But Gizmo will just have to wait, as will I. We have a good two to three weeks before we can even think about intros.

BabyGrl
04-02-06, 03:17 pm
Oh he is such a cutie also.

My Baby Mu
04-02-06, 04:13 pm
They are cuties.

jsmhwyatt
04-02-06, 05:03 pm
He is so cute! I can not believe that woman!!! That is so disturbing! Thankfully there are kind people in this world like you to take him!!

twinkies
04-02-06, 10:54 pm
Soooo cute! You got some handsome boys there munchkin.

PiggieMom
04-03-06, 12:37 am
It's really lucky that your vet called you! He's precious.

csharpmajor
04-03-06, 02:45 am
Awwwwww. He's like a little mini-pig. I'm glad you took him in :3

fourbwabbys
04-03-06, 04:19 pm
Awww, so tiny! All of your pigs are adorable!

JennG
04-03-06, 04:26 pm
I love looking at how cute everyone's piggies are and you have a good lookin' bunch there. Gizmo is so tiny and very precious. Of course, my mom has a dog named Gizmo but we call him Gizzie.

guineapiglvr14
04-03-06, 06:45 pm
So cute and small!! All you pids are adorable!

AnimalsLover
04-04-06, 01:19 am
He is sooooooooo cute!!!!! And so are your other pigs.

pink_cottonball
04-07-06, 08:08 am
They all are adorable! Gismo is so tiny!

munchkin
05-02-06, 08:26 am
Oh, so much has happened since I last posted on here, I hardly know where to start.

First, Intros didn't happen. It is kind of a complicated story, but it started with some minor renovations to our house. You know how it goes with income taxes. You get a little money and just go crazy. We decided to get carpet for our livingroom. That set things back a week because the cage had to be disassembled and moved.

all the boys except Gizmo had to be put in the bathroom for a week. I had cages stacked on cages in the bathroom. None of them were happy. well, when the carpet was done and the cage reassembled, we started transfering piggies back into their home. Everyone handled the bathroom experience really well, except Rocky. He had lost a fairly significant amount of weight during the week. I put him into quarentine and decided to have him checked out and not add Gizmo just yet in case it was something serious, since all the other boys were in the bathroom together.

That put me even further behind. But after a trip to the vet and discovering that it was just stress and Rocky not eating the way he should we have had to quarentine Rocky for a few days. He developed a fairly minor Flora imbalance due to improper diet. Anyway, everyone is doing much better now. Rocky is starting to gain some of his weight back and eating much better. And after our follow-up appointment tomorrow, if everything checks out fine we will be able to introduce Rocky to Gizmo.

The vet suggested that I pair Rocky and Gizmo up in a separate cage for Rocky's health since the pecking order has changed with him having to be quarentined. Alphie is now in puberty and has become the top pig. The vet feels that it would be best for rocky, given that he seems more sensitive to stressful situations to pair him with the baby. His hope is that with the baby not in puberty yet, and having a very docile personality, that Rocky will easily establish dominence and maintain that throughout puberty with Gizmo.

So the new plan is to extend the 10 foot section about two feet to give them a total of fouteen sqare feet, and let the other three have the 19.5 square foot section to themselves. I will also be adding a ramp and loft area to the newer addition. Hopefully, all goes well tomorrow and we can get the intros out of the way.

I wasn't sure about this new pairing at first, but as my husband pointed out, tehy will share a common wall where they can all still see each other and visit, so it wouldn't be like we were just jerking them apart. And after a week in quarentine, Rocky has kind of gotten used to not having the other boys around. But I would love to know what you all think about this new plan. Do you think it will be the best thing for Rocky in the long run? And once everyone gets through puberty and things start to settle down, do you think it will be possible to merge my herd again? I realy loved having them all in one giant cage. But I don't want to risk Rocky's health either.

VoodooJoint
05-02-06, 09:27 am
All I can say is to give your idea a try. You never know until you do.

By the way. I broke up your post into paragraphs to make it easier to read.

munchkin
05-02-06, 09:45 am
Thanks, VJ. I'm going to give it a try if things go well tomorrow with the vet. Oh and thanks for the help with the post. I do tend to ramble a bit. Sorry about that.

My Baby Mu
05-02-06, 08:57 pm
I say give it a try too.

Off topic but, VJ I love your new avatar!

munchkin
05-04-06, 07:40 am
Well, the vet gave Rocky a clean bill of health, and he has started to gain some of his weight back.

I had intros yesterday after dinner and things went great. It was a little strange to see. There were only a few mountings. No rumblestrutting, no chattering, nothing like that. Mostly all they did was rub noses, kind of like long lost relatives. I think Rocky thinks of Gizmo as his son.

I'll try to get pictures today, you won't believe how big Gizmo has gotten. And Rocky has lost quite a bit of weight through the whole ordeal. He looks so lean. But time will hopefully take care of that.

munchkin
05-04-06, 09:18 am
Okay, I found the camera and took a few pictures of the boys. The once tiny Gizmo has grown so much. He used to fit eazily in one hand. Now it takes two to hold him.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/Gizmogrowing.jpg

Rocky and Gizmo get along so well, they prefer to share a hidey house even though they have two in their cage.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/RockyGizmo.jpg

And just because it is cute, here is Gizmo trying out his first real salad. It took a few weeks to get him used to veggies at all, but this was his first "real" salad. That is my beauty queen Daughter, Amy, holding him.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/Gizmosfirstsalad.jpg

My daughter is holding the bowl from a few weeks ago, and that is my husband holding Gizmo this morning. Like I said he has gotten so big.

smileyface cavy
05-04-06, 10:51 am
Oh, all your pigs are beautiful!!

Kriket
05-04-06, 11:46 am
WOW He HAS gotten huge! It's amazing how fast they grow, isn't it?

jdomans
05-04-06, 08:24 pm
munchkin, Gizmo is adorable.To think that lady wanted to euthanize him. Noway. she is not someone I want to know.

munchkin
05-04-06, 08:41 pm
jdomans, When you are right, you are right. I'm glad I only had to see the woman that one time. And not only is Gizmo adorable, he has the sweetest personality. He loves to be snuggled and stroked. He has never run from us, and will nuzzle my daughter's cheek to get her to kiss him.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/munchkin68/kisses.jpg

jdomans
05-04-06, 08:46 pm
We have taken note many times that people who don't like animals/pets are rather odd. That is being kind on my part.

munchkin
05-04-06, 09:02 pm
My husband is not so kind. He flat out told the woman when he picked up Gizmo that she shouldn't be allowed to have any animals. I just met her once about two days after we got Gizmo. We ran into her at the store in town. She said, I'm the one who gave your husband the guinea pig. I just said thanks and turned around and left. There just wasn't much I had to say to someone like that.

Fire Cracker
05-09-06, 09:54 am
They are all adorable!!

Lizzie127
05-09-06, 01:23 pm
Gizmo is really cute! I love his name too.