PDA

View Full Version : It's official! I am adopting again!!!!

nikilovesdogs
03-31-06, 12:48 pm
This Sunday, I'm going to pick up Tweety and Lemondrop from Texas Rustlers!!!!! I'll be a guinea pig mommy again!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tearsofjo

I want to thank so many of you who have been through everything with me! Thank you for being there, for listening, for not being accusatory, for helping me make some good out of this tragedy. Thank you for being you!!!!

I will post pigtures ASAP on Sunday afternoon! I promise! I could not be happier if you told me I won the lottery.

Slap Maxwell
03-31-06, 12:52 pm
Congrats Niki! I am so excited for you. I am so glad some more needy piggers can have a great home.

nonamian_girl
03-31-06, 12:53 pm
Yay, I can't wait for pics!

BTW, congrats on the new house!

nikilovesdogs
03-31-06, 12:57 pm
Thanks so much! It's actually a townhome. I'll be moving June 16th. Until then, my piggers will be safely in my bedroom. When I move, they will have their own room! I'm sure that with all that extra space, I'll be getting even more piggers in June/July! Yippee!!!! I know that 4 is my max, but I had planned on adopting four initially, so I'll take my time and do this right by my cavies - keeping them safe and happy.

twinkies
03-31-06, 01:20 pm
Congrats Niki! Your piggers are lucky to be getting such a great piggy mom.:heart: Good luck on Sunday and can't wait to see the pigtures. And also, congrats on the new home.

PinkGrass
03-31-06, 01:21 pm
Yey! Congrats, Niki. ^-^ Can't wait to see the new ones.

Emmett
03-31-06, 01:59 pm
Good for you and congratulations. The 2 piggies are very lucky.

Also the only thing you can be accused of is not being psychic.

PiggieMom
03-31-06, 02:07 pm
Yey! That's awsome new Niki. I can't wait to see pigtures.

CapuPebbles
03-31-06, 02:07 pm
I'm so happy for you Niki! Congrats!!!!!!!!!:heart:

WEAVER
03-31-06, 02:12 pm
Niki I am so happy for you and can not wait to see pictures of your new boys! I was just wonndering the other day if you ended up going and getting them yet and if I had missed that thread somewhere along the way. :)

I can only imagine how much better you will feel when you have your empty cage full again. I still have the same cage setup with Oreo's cage attached to the others. I cleaned it all out and now it is just empty coroplast. Everytime I go in there I can not help but feel the emptiness of the bright white coroplast staring me in the face. I have thought about re-making the cage with the fleece to tone it down a little, or maybe reconfiguring the cage another way. Hubby thinks it would help to get two more boys and put them in there and build a hayloft on the top, he says that is what Oreo would want me to do. I just don't know. . .

nikilovesdogs
03-31-06, 02:17 pm
he says that is what Oreo would want me to do. I just don't know. . .

I think your hubby is onto something. You have the cage space. You definitely have the heart. Think about it, but I think if you have the ability, you should adopt another homeless pigger!

Weaver, thanks so much. It seems like although our bond is out of losing our beloved boys at the same time, our friendship will get to last through so many more happy times as well. PM or email me if you ever need to talk.

LBKK
03-31-06, 02:20 pm
Niki I am so happy for you and can not wait to see pictures of your new boys! I was just wonndering the other day if you ended up going and getting them yet and if I had missed that thread somewhere along the way. :)

I can only imagine how much better you will feel when you have your empty cage full again. I still have the same cage setup with Oreo's cage attached to the others. I cleaned it all out and now it is just empty coroplast. Everytime I go in there I can not help but feel the emptiness of the bright white coroplast staring me in the face. I have thought about re-making the cage with the fleece to tone it down a little, or maybe reconfiguring the cage another way. Hubby thinks it would help to get two more boys and put them in there and build a hayloft on the top, he says that is what Oreo would want me to do. I just don't know. . .

I think (and I rarely say a man is right!) but I think your hubby is right. You'll drive yourself crazy looking at the empty space, reminding you that Oreo is no longer there. I think if you can use Oreo's space to home some piggies in need, it will give them a great home and life and give you some new happy memories. You are a great piggie mommy and I know it's hard to remove the last reminder of Oreo, but he's still in your heart and always will be. You need to remember the good times with Oreo and the love you have for him, not remind yourself he's no longer there. My thoughts are with you Weaver. **big hugs to you**

Laura.

WEAVER
03-31-06, 02:28 pm
Niki thank you so much for your kind words. :hug: You also have become such a good friend and listener. I am so happy you have stuck with the forum, grown strength and knowledge and now you are ready to have a new beginning. Your boys are going to be so lucky to have you as a mom and I can not wait to start sharing happier stories and times.

pink_cottonball
03-31-06, 02:49 pm
YAY!!! You nmust be sooo happy! I can't imagine having to look at Charlie and Moe's cage empty! I hate seeing it without them when they are at their pigsitters when we go on vacation! Congrats! Pigtures soon!

JennG
03-31-06, 07:40 pm
I'm so happy for you! We can't wait to see pigtures.

guineapiglvr14
03-31-06, 08:04 pm
Congrats! Can't wait to see pigtures!

Tatalp
03-31-06, 08:42 pm
Congrats, I want pics as soon as they come home!

ScottandDebbie
03-31-06, 09:01 pm
Niki, I am so happy for you.
And happy for Tweety and Lemondrop.
They are lucky piggers, cause they are going to have *you* as their mummy.

Congratulations!!!!

I'll be looking forward to those pictures.

Harleigh
03-31-06, 09:30 pm
I am glad you are able to open your heart again. They will be the blessing you need, returning what you are giving them.

Lorvoll
04-01-06, 01:02 am
Niki, I'm so happy and excited for you. Sunday can't come soon enough!

JiggityJig
04-01-06, 02:41 am
Niki, I also live in Texas....

If you could, would you please indulge us with as much description of the Texas Rustler's setup, and your experiences with them, as you could? I've never been able to visit there, but would love to someday.

There is near zero knowledge of guinea pig rescues in our area, and I love to see your posts promoting an operation that is consistently doing such a good work in Texas!

BabyGrl
04-01-06, 07:10 am
Congrats. Can't wait for the pigtures.

cavy-cool-crazy
04-01-06, 07:54 am
That is wonderful news, Niki! Your new piggies will help heal your pain from losing Meeker and Moss. You will love sharing their cute quirks again, as annoying as some of them may be!

Congratulations!!

suzilovespiggie
04-01-06, 06:40 pm
Such great news! Both for your new piggies and your new house. Can't wait to see the pictures!

WEAVER
04-01-06, 07:56 pm
Less than a day left until you get your boys . . .I bet you are getting excited and counting the minutes :)

Mazzy1893
04-02-06, 01:17 pm
Congratulations Niki!! I am so happy for you! I bet these new piggies will absolutely love you and I know that you will give them an amazing home!

Texas Cavys
04-02-06, 01:30 pm
I also live in Texas, what part of Texas do you live in?

I am so happy for you! I can't wait to see pigtures.

nonamian_girl
04-02-06, 01:54 pm
Do you have piggers yet Niki?

Macayle
04-02-06, 04:33 pm
Thats great!!! Cant wait for pictures!

daftscotslass
04-02-06, 04:38 pm
Post post post I want to know!

nikilovesdogs
04-02-06, 04:45 pm
Well, I just got back a little bit ago with Lemondrop and Tweetie. I'm naming them "The Yellow Boys" because of "Tweety Bird" and lemondrops both being yellow. :)

I got a little emotional, being able to hold warm piggers to me for the first time in a good while, but Julia of Texas Rustlers told me I'd better stop it, or we'd both be crying. So, I got my paperwork filled out, paid the adoption fee, and was on my way home.

Pigtures are here: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/nikilovesdogs/

I hope you enjoy! They are beautiful boys!

Sidenote to all of you to do rescue: It is hard work. It is thankless work. It is time and money consuming. It brings tears with laughter. It is endless. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for doing what you do. Seeing all the guinea pigs today who would have most probably been euthanized in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area really made me realize how very important responsible pet ownership is. It also emphasized to me that rescue organizations (and volunteers) are angels here on earth. :love:

If you live in an area where there is a rescue organization, PLEASE volunteer! If not money, then time. Cages need cleaning, piggers need transporting and foster homes, nails need trimming, bottles need filling. Wherever you can find a spot, please take the time and make the effort to help. Every small bit of assistance makes a difference~!

daftscotslass
04-02-06, 04:48 pm
Gorgeous, Niki, congratulations!

Lorvoll
04-02-06, 04:50 pm
I am so so so happy for you! They're just gorgeous and very lucky to have you become their new mom. Congrats and enjoy them!!!

Slap Maxwell
04-02-06, 04:51 pm
They are beautiful!

nikilovesdogs
04-02-06, 04:52 pm
I am beaming.

I am locking them safely where they will be staying and running out for a bite to eat. This is just a short test run for my sanity.

I'll be back soon to check the forums.

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!:D

Peanutlover
04-02-06, 04:52 pm
How adorable!!!!!! Your dogs are beautiful too!!! I swear the one is smiling in the one picture!!! Your doing an amamzing thing taking them in. I thought of being a rescuer, i definately have the room for it and time..we shall see.

I wish you lots of happiness with your new pets!!! And I bet they will have a life of piggy happiness.

wierdo4life
04-02-06, 06:16 pm
They are both so cute! I'm so glad you decided to adopt again!

nonamian_girl
04-02-06, 06:53 pm
Aw they are so pretty :).

WEAVER
04-02-06, 07:18 pm
Niki I am so happy for you. Your boys are so cute and I am sure they are thrilled to finially have a place to call home.

I bet Meeker and Moss are looking down on you right now, running and squeeking like crazy in the tall blades of grass, chasing one another to the ends of the rainbow and telling all their new friends how lucky the two "lemondrop boys" are to have a great mommy like you. :heart:

Marlania
04-02-06, 08:21 pm
They're adorable! Congratulations.

absolutgyrl
04-03-06, 02:52 am
Oh my goodness - they are SO CUTE! I love the pics of them ... they look really happy!!!! It is WONDERFUL that you guys found each other! Congrats!!!

cavy-cool-crazy
04-03-06, 03:25 am
They are just beautiful Niki. Congrats.

BabyGrl
04-03-06, 07:25 am
They are both very cute.

Percy's Mom
04-03-06, 07:53 pm
Very cute piggers.

Time to go back to a piggy avatar since you have piggies again. :)

CapuPebbles
04-06-06, 08:15 am
They both are beautiful!!! Congrats Niki!

oceansoul41
04-06-06, 02:23 pm
This Sunday, I'm going to pick up Tweety and Lemondrop from Texas Rustlers!!!!! I'll be a guinea pig mommy again!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tearsofjo

Great, we will be there 1pm also. We haven't decided which ones yet, she is going to pick some out that she thinks will be a good match for our family!!

I love that place. When I told everyone at work I was going to adopt two guinea pigs, I got all these groans (and much worse.) They said they were loud and were stinky. I want to take all those co-workers to TRGPR to see, listen and smell. About the smell part, I wanted to say, I guess you werent a good parent, but I refrained.

~angela
(soon to be first time piggy-parent)

ScottandDebbie
04-06-06, 02:27 pm
Oh Niki.... Congratulations
The Yellow Boys, Weety Bird" and Lemondrops, are just precious.

:cheerful: I am so happy for you.:cheerful:

nikilovesdogs
04-06-06, 02:33 pm
Great, we will be there 1pm also. We haven't decided which ones yet, she is going to pick some out that she thinks will be a good match for our family!!

~angela
(soon to be first time piggy-parent)

Aw, Angela, I already picked mine up last Sunday! Sorry I'll miss you! After tax season, however, I'll be there about every Saturday helping clip toenails and clean cages. Want to come with me some time? I know it's quite a drive from where you are! By the way, I grew up in Benbrook!

Niki

nikilovesdogs
04-06-06, 09:41 pm
I'm sorry, but I cannot find my original thread. Mods, please combine the threads if you can locate - I tried in vain. That said, here are some new pics of them:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/nikilovesdogs/Lemondrop%20and%20Tweetie/

These were taken last night when I was clipping toenails and giving them floor time. :)

nonamian_girl
04-06-06, 10:41 pm
Aw, what cutie faces!

cavypaulita
04-06-06, 10:42 pm
They are so adorable! :love:
I love them.

the best of luck to you and your piggies

Pauli

VoodooJoint
04-07-06, 12:07 am
Threads combined. Congrats on the new pigs.

nikilovesdogs
04-07-06, 08:52 am
Thanks, VooDoo! Not sure why I could not find this darn thread. I'll blame it on tax season tiredness! Only a little over a week left! WOO HOO!!!!

VoodooJoint
04-07-06, 09:46 am
You can always go into your profile and click on "find all posts by..". If you recently posted in a thread you are looking for it should be on the first page. That's how I found it.

nikilovesdogs
04-07-06, 09:51 am
My head was so tired that I actually did that, and I was looking right at it. The title didn't jog my memory for whatever reason. I've slept, so I am better now! :)

jdomans
04-07-06, 01:48 pm
Niki, I have just seen the thread. I am not used to looking on here yet.
How utterly fabulous you have the boys. How are things going with everyone. Are they settling in well?

nikilovesdogs
04-07-06, 02:23 pm
How are things going with everyone. Are they settling in well?

Thanks so much for asking! We're still doing "night cage" time so that I can sleep. We will probably do that for a while.

The dogs are doing great. My old female Boxer, my young male Boxer, and my Chihuahua mix all sleep with me in the bedroom. Bogart "guinea pig killer" sleeps in his kennel in the front room.

The piggers are doing really well. Lemondrop is gaining weight - has been since Texas Rustlers got hold of him. He was sooo sick with URI. She nursed him to health, and he is now blossoming into a happy, healthy guinea pig boy. Tweetie is a year old, and he's more laid back. He likes for me to pick him up. This weekend, I am building a floor time enclosure for them to popcorn and play in when the dogs are safely put away.

For dog safety, there are two things that are KEY:
- carabiner clips on the dogs' kennels at ALL times
- closed/locked door between dogs and piggers in case carabiner clips fail

I feel so much more secure about things now. :)

fourbwabbys
04-07-06, 02:43 pm
That's great that everything's working out. At least you were able to learn from the trajedy and know nothing like that will happen again. I'm sure Lemondrop and Tweetie love their new home and family. :)

carlabunyan
04-07-06, 02:44 pm
glad you are helping some guinea pigs and they have an nice life please post lots of guinea pigs

nikilovesdogs
04-09-06, 02:02 pm
Dinner time with the boys just a few minutes ago:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/nikilovesdogs/Dinner%20time/

They were being so cute, I couldn't help but share with you! :heart:

jdomans
04-09-06, 04:23 pm
Niki the boys are just beautiful. Isn't it hard to imagine that someone didn't want them?

PiggieMamaKelly
04-09-06, 04:49 pm
I just love it when pigs have that white streak up their faces!

nikilovesdogs
04-09-06, 06:25 pm
Thanks so much! Yes, it is amazing that they were ever unwanted. Lemondrop is our little miracle, because he almost died of URI. Julia at Texas Rustlers literally saved his life, though his brother passed away. :(

Tweetie is really becoming friendly. He's older and more outgoing. I love his markings too. They're really remarkable. He has such a laid back personality, too. I just caught him today doing a flop on the shavings next to his hidey house. He was laying there with his feet sprawled out to the side. I thought,"Well, he's starting to get comfortable!"

They are such a blast to watch! lol

WEAVER
04-09-06, 10:29 pm
They are just so cute and it is great to hear they are becoming comfortable enough to call the new place "home". Just wait and see how much they change within the next few weeks. It is so rewarding when their fur changes, their eyes change,not even to mention their personalities, and most of all when they begin yelling at you. Nothing is better than getting bosed around by piggies, I love it!!!

You have been through a lot the past few weeks, your new boys have also had a hard start on life, now together you all have a new beginning that will make everlasting memories for all of you for many years to come.