Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Expert help needed

Oliver's Mom

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the cavy world! About two weeks ago I adopted a two yr old cavy from our local ARL. His new name is Oliver, he's very sweet, you can tell he has been handled quite a bit in the past. My concern is that he is very quiet, I've only heard him talk a couple times and he doesn't run around his cage much. I've arranged food at both ends of the cage so he has a reason to go back and forth and the cage is plenty large enough for him. He has vet checked just fine, he eats and drinks plenty so I'm really not concerned with this being a health issue. Many of you have adopted, is this normal? Does he just need more time? He's not afraid of people and will come out of his house when I'm in the room. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
He definitely needs more time, but a friend to explore with would also help.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I agree with nonamina_girl. He'll come around once he's gotten used to you and his new home but he really needs a friend. Guinea pigs are herd animals and most do alot better with a friend. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Here's a good link to read up on their social lives: https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm.

twinkies

Cavy Slave
As Jenn said, he needs time to get used to his new home. And I bet with another piggy, he will perk right up and talking lots of piggy talk.

JennG

Cavy Slave
My girls are pretty quiet unless one of the following is happening: a) someone's picking on someone else or b) it's dinner/breakfast time. When it's veggie time, is when they get the loudest! :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You say he has a pretty large cage. Can you give measurements and is it a C&C cage or a petstore cage?

C&K

Cavy Slave
It sounds like he needs more time to find his voice, it can take a month or more before they get really comfortable and vocal.

Generally if a pig is in a pet store cage it will not run around, they live sad and sedentary lives. If you put a pig that is used to a pet store cage into a larger C&C cage, they don't know what to do with all the space and often feel insecure. However, they will adjust and pick up in activity before you know it! They will thank you for it in the long run!

This site advocates a cage size for 1 pig of at least 7.5 square feet, while 10.5 square feet is better.

Also, pigs are social animals and do better in a pair or small herd. have you considered adopting him a friend?

Here are some great cavy care links if you have not found your way to them yet!
www.guineapigcages.com Great Cage info
www.guinealynx.info Great Care info
www.cavyspirit.com great info on pig socialization and why not to breed or buy.

Welcome to the world of Pigs!

Oliver's Mom

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice. Oliver's cage is approximately 50" x 51" on the lower level and 29" x 30" on the upper. It's a cage a friend made years ago and is working out well for us.

I was thinking of finding Oliver a friend when I posted originally and am glad to know that was the right decision. Being that he is already two I really wanted to find a young male and hopefully eliminate the dominance issue. I found a four month old a couple days ago and after a few hours of Oliver pushing the new kid around they seem to be getting along well. Chase, the youngster, doesn't talk much and is really skittish right now but seems to enjoy attention when he gets it. I’m guessing it will just take some time. I do see a huge difference in Oliver's behavior. He talks non-stop and moves around a lot more. He has also picked up veggie time and meets me at the side of the cage ready to eat when I call to him. I've picked up many tips already on this site so thank you again for the reassurance.
~Nikki

Mazzy1893

Cavy Slave
I'm sure it is too late now, but you will want to quarantine them and probably treat them both for mites. At the www.guinealynx.com site you can find a good "vet-finder" and try to find a cavy savvy vet in your area. Also, make sure that they are both males, sexing can be very hard to do. Congratulations on your new additions and good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.