Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Semi Vegetarians

Walks With Cavy

Cavy Slave
Listen to this quote from (broken link removed)= :

"Of those surveyed, 825 females said they were not vegetarians, 50 reported they were full vegetarians, and 195 were semi-vegetarians (no red meat, white meat on occasion). Just twenty-six men said they were full- or semi-vegetarians, so they were not used in the data analysis"

This research was done on adolescent vegetarianism, and brought to my attention the "semi-vegetarians". I thought this was very interesting, mostly because I didn't think they had a name for people like me. Any thoughts or feedback?

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
"Semi-Vegetarians." That's a term that's just too vague and too general to really describe anything. What does that mean? Just people who don't eat red meat? Personally, I don't consider people who simply don't eat red meat to be vegetarians at all.

There are several categories of vegetarianism. There's a vegan, who eats no animal products whatsoever. There's a lacto-vegetarian, who eats no meat but still eats dairy products. There's a lacto-ova vegetarian, who eats no meat, but still eats dairy products and eggs. I suppose there's probably a few more categories, but I think I hit the main ones.

Personally, I think that someone who cuts out only red meat for an animal rights purpose is pretty lazy in their approach. If someone cuts out only red meat for health reasons or tastes preferences, that I understand, but to say you're becoming a vegetarian and only giving up red meat, well ... I don't consider that animal rights oriented. I don't consider that vegetarianism.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
I agree with you susan. Animals that are considered to have ''white meat'' are all slaughtered at the same place, are all kept in the same cruel conditions, and are all tortured and abused in the same way as ''red meat''.

To discriminate against one and the other based on taste is not supporting vegetarianism.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I agree also. 'White meat' animals bleed red blood, feel pain, have personalities and probably have souls.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take a look a few chicken videos. Maybe that will help a move to lacto-ovo vegetarianism. Also, from a food point of view, chicken is less healthy than beef.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I think the only thing that not eating red meat means is that you don't eat red meat. Semi-vegetarian doesn't even make sense.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
And it's difficult to keep up. I tried that first for health purposes. Any time I went to go buy a chicken burger or the like I always thought, "Well, what's a little beef?" And I always got a beef burger. I find just cutting it all out a much easier approach. I have also found PETA very useful for fighting those first cravings. Who wants bacon after watching "Meet your Meat"?

To me it was kinda like saying "I'll only eat a little bit of sweets".

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
I agree with the others on the stance of vegetarian or not. You can't "sort of" be pregnant anymore than you can "sort of" be a vegetarian.

I am currently having an inner battle about eating fish. I guess I am what is called a pescatarian - vegetarian who does eat fish. Now, help me out here. I am not educated about this, I guess. Can you tell me what the harm is in eating fish, both ecologically and physically? Thanks for your input!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Off the top of my head I have heard that fish from some sources have high levels of mercury in their system. Over fishing of one species would harm the ecosystem and that some animals like dolphins and sea turtles get stuck in nets.

Since I can't eat fish anymore then my system will let me eat other meat I haven't given it much thought though. I am sure others with more knowledge will come along.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
nikilovesdogs said:
I agree with the others on the stance of vegetarian or not. You can't "sort of" be pregnant anymore than you can "sort of" be a vegetarian.
Oh Niki..... That sounds like one of my metaphors.

------------------​
If you eat *any* meat at all,
you are *not* a vegetarian,
you are a "Selective Animal Consumer".

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
Debbie,

Do you have any light to shed for this "selective animal consumer?" I really would like information on fish and the harm there is in eating it if there is any. :)

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Well Niki,

I *really* try to stay off this thread, as my emotions go *nuts*. But, I am here, so I'll be treating my bloody tongue later... lol

I own fish. (or maybe I should say.."they own me".)
Fish most certainly have wonderful personalities.
I have even trained one of my fish to do a cute little trick. Too Funny.

I care about my fish very much.
So... for me to even *think* about eating something so beautiful and marvelous as a fish is beyond my grasping.

I am a STRONG believer that every meat eater should be *required* to look deep into the eyes of a living creature and then kill the animal them selves *if* they plan to eat their flesh. Anyone who eats meat needs to go to a slaughter house an spend some time there.
(((( Feel the animals emotions.))))
Do we not think that animals fear, and hurt? Or is it far easier to simply pretend that the meat that sits upon our plate magically appeared.

Is it right to take babies from their mothers just so we can have their milk??????

I am very passionate about this. I'll stop while I am ahead, or maybe it's too late?

Thanks Niki for offering me the floor. : ) Now, I'll go back into my corner.:eek:

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for your candid honesty!

I have, myself, owned and loved fish. I think that might be my problem. I see the swimmers in my tank as separate from the fish in the sea and rivers - silly, I know.

Like I said, I am not taking this lightly. I need to understand fully.

Also, you mentioned that you eat more of a raw diet. Can you direct me to a website(s) that help you with information?

Thank you again!

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Niki,

Hey... I have been where you are at, and understand *completely*.

About the Raw Food.
I am just trying out recipes. I'm not hardcore into this. Might end up that way, but for right now, just toying around with putting more raw foods into our diet.
I suppose you could call me a "Semi Raw Food Eater" lol

I am a vegan *Only* because of the killing factor.
Any health related bonus' I get from my diet is just a plus.

How I happened upon Raw Food was by Googling HappyCow for vegan restaurants in San Francisco.
Scott and I go to S.F. about once or twice a month. The Cafe Gratitude was listed and we have been there twice. The food was so good that I purchased a raw food recipe book. It's hard to even believe that the food is all raw, but yet they made the most delicious pie, cookies, and cheesecakes.

I am not a cook, well I wasn't, until I became a vegan. So this raw food stuff is a real adventure for us. (Scott cooks too.)

Did you check out this site. click here
The lady who put the raw food cookbook together owns this site.

I would be glad to share with you recipes that Scott and I have already tried, and like. Just let me know. K?

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
ScottandDebbie said:
I would be glad to share with you recipes that Scott and I have already tried, and like. Just let me know. K?

Thanks for all the helpful information! Feel free to post here or email me any recipes you have! I really appreciate it.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Very interesting stuff!
I have been a vegan, which for me implied no animal products whatsoever - from meat, animal milk, eggs, leather and wool to honey. It took me hours to do the shopping - checking all the labelling for milk proteins etc.
This came about when we lived next to a dairy farm for a short while. For two whole nights and days, the cows made this awful mournful moo-ing noise constantly. In my ignorance, I thought perhaps the farmer had left them outside on a cold day/night or something. It wasn't until a day or so later that I found out that the calves had been taken away from their mothers, and the haunting sound was the mothers looking for their calves. I will never forget it. From that moment we became vegan.
Having said that, I couldn't do it anymore. Partly for my son, and partly for other reasons. We have reached ,for us, a compromise that has worked for the last 6 years or so, where we still drink soya milk, but eat yoghurt and cheese, the only meat we touch is fish. (thanks Niki for reminding me it's called pescatarianism!) I also struggle inwardly with this - but have been on both sides of the issue, and believe we do the best we can at the present time.
To aquaintances who ask, I reply that I am vegetarian. It is simply easier than going through all the detail to someone who often doesn't want to know more. On the other hand, there is often some 'well meaning person' who has a go at me for eating fish - lets me know that I am not a 'real' vegetarian...it's me who has to live (and wrestle) with my conscience. I do my best. What more can you do?

Phew. I'm exhausted!!!

Access

Cavy Slave
I think you have to think of people as individuals. Otherwise, where do you draw the line?

While you can't be a semi-vegetarian in the fashion described, what about someone who may eat meat only on weekends (but not every weekend). During the weekdays, they eat no meat or animal products. On a Tuesday, is this person a vegetarian? What about on a Friday?

Regardless of the answer, it leads to a contradiction. Remember that most vegetarians ate meat at one time but then decided to give up meat and become vegetarians. And I know pleanty of people who at one time were vegetarian but today no longer are. Does the fact they eat meat today change the fact that at one time, they were vegatarians and didn't eat meat?

As long as you accept these two statements: 1) At one point in their life most vegetarians did eat meat and 2) someone who is a vegatarian today may revert and not be a vegetarian tommorow, the concept becomes a very difficult one to define. Where do you draw the line? Do you define vegetarianism based on knowing or not-knowing if one will ever revert to non-vegetarianism? If so, it either becomes an impossible standard or one that you can use only for yourself, if that, definately not to label others...

That's my problem with the label, I just don't know where to draw the line and still end up with a consistent, useful definition.

nikilovesdogs

Cavy Slave
Vegetarian, defined

A vegetarian does not eat cows, chickens, fish, and other animals, including anything made with meat, gelatin, rennet (in cheese), and vitamin D3 (added to dairy).
To avoid killing animals, some people avoid dairy and eggs. Dairy cows and egg-laying hens are killed when they no longer produce milk or eggs. Their male offspring: calves are made into veal, and chicks are thrown in the trash.
To avoid killing animals, some people avoid clothing with animal skin and hair. Buying leather further increases killing, because it decreases meat prices, increasing meat consumption.
There are many other reasons to avoid dairy, eggs, and other products from animals. They contribute to human health problems. Their production is very bad for the environment. And, farm animals suffer immensely. Some people avoid those products for religious reasons. Plus, eating only foods from plants causes fewer plants, trees, and natural habitats to be destroyed.
Some people expand their circle of compassion beyond animals with a spine to include bees, and therefore (broken link removed).
Vegan means having none of the animal-derived products mentioned above.

If someone is still planning on actively eating meat in the future, they are not a vegetarian. Period.

The past you cannot erase. If you once ate meat but plan on not eating it in the future, you are 100% a vegetarian.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Huh?

Are you a vegetarian? Yes or no.

Were you at one time a vegetarian? Yes or no.

Would you like to be a vegetarian? Yes or no. (means you are NOT one now)

"I don't eat red meat anymore." "I don't eat much red meat." "I only eat chicken and turkey."

And your point is?

Rephrase: "I would like to be a vegetarian, but ..."

Insert definition of your choice: "vegan, pescatarian, fruitarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian..."

"On a Tuesday, is this person a vegetarian? What about on a Friday?"

Come on. It means your choice of life-style NOW, not your menu choice at the moment. It's quite clear.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
My docto's office has handouts on various medical sunjects and the one on vegetarians has semi-vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian and full vegetarian, which is vegan. I was like, this is a doctor's office, they should have the right info!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.