Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

HELP!!!! He is making a mess!!!!!

didiscooper

Cavy Slave
Hello!!!!

I have a big guineapig and he is making a mess, i use pine bedding and everything end up all over my floor, i have to clean my floor 5 times a day, i have a standard cage, WHAT CAN I DO???????

He is driving me Crazy, please help me!!!!!!!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Standard cage as in pet store cage? What's a standard cage? Clearly the answer is a C&C cage. Never a problem with bedding.

didiscooper

Cavy Slave
Hello!!!

I have a pet store cage, i am very new with this, i dont know what to do??
I dont know what he das to make the mess????
i have ben thinking if i can put something around the cage, but WHAT???

Thank you

SpikenCal

Cavy Slave
Bedding is very easily kicked around when your piggie is running or jumping. It's par for the course and there is nothing that can stop that. I agree with CavySpirit, the single best thing you can do is build a C&C cage! They're far less expensive and far roomier than pet store cages. Your little guy would love it, and it's essential to his happiness to have more room. Plus, just about everything is easier for you when you have a C&C cage. Cleanup is a snap, feeding is easier, there are just so many benefits.
Check into it, there are instructions, places to buy supplies, and tons of photos of other members' cages on this site.
Good luck. :)

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree that you should build a C&C cage. You wouldn't believe how inexpensive they are! Even to build a 2x5 grid cage, it would cost only $30. You probably paid more than that for your pet store cage which is TONS smaller, I know I did. Please consider it, it really is easy. Hope this helps. =)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cavylover, I have a house full of C&C cages and have had hundreds of pigs here over the years. I have white carpets. Seriously, I've never have any bedding kicked out and don't know what the digging problem is. Maybe the problem is the bedding you use or how much of it. I use quite a thick layer of bedding. Probably 1 1/2 inches or a bit more. I've used pine, aspen, and CareFresh. I like to strew a bit of hay all over, but even the places I don't put it, I don't have a problem. When I do make a mess, it's usually some spillage when I'm in a hurry cleaning cages or when I'm tossing hay around when I'm replenishing it. Picking up hay with the vacuum cleaner is a bear.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
build the wall of the coroplast higher if afraid of bedding being kicked out

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Put a nice thick layer of hay over the bedding. It prevents the bedding from being kicked up when they run around. When I clean the cage, I toss that hay because I don't know what's been soiled. I have separate hay lofts for clean eating hay. If you buy the hay in bulk, it's very inexpensive and you don't have to be frugal when laying it down.

gp cage

Cavy Slave
put paper next to the cage or cardbord thats what i do with all my cages including the little gps lol

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
The only time bedding gets kicked out is when Cinnamon is running laps. As she rounds the corner, she sometimes skids out and a bit goes flying. My birds kick out a billion times more seed than the piggers do bedding.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
newspaper

take a few sheets of newspaper and lay them around the cage, so the bedding doesnt fall on the floor and picking up the sheets is real easy.

Dinochick

Cavy Slave
I took a small sheet (like from a bed) and tacked it to the wall that Teebos cage is up against, then used clothes pins to hold the sheet on the other 3 sides (with part of the sheet being under the cage). This seems to have fixed most of my problems with bedding ending up on the floor.

Hope that helps :)

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
didiscooper, I have two C&C's with the standard 6 inch walls, and little bedding or hay is kicked out. Most of the spillage is when I'm adding hay to the cages or when I'mn cleaning them out. The beauty of the C&C's, in addition to their generous size, is that they are totally customizable and the coroplast walls can be higher or lower, depending on your pigs.

Ditch the pet store cage and build yourself a C&C. Your flying bedding will be a thing of the past.

vera_

Cavy Slave
I have 3 C&C cages, all with 6" high sides, and they all get bedding kicked out of them. I use either aspen or Carefresh, both get kicked out equally. You will have an easier time of things with a C&C cage but it will not eliminate spill-over.

When my pigs go racing around the cage they always scatter stuff. It's just one of the joys of having piggies. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.