Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Good Vets in Ontario

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good piggie vets in Ontario, specifically in the Mississauga/Oakville, GTA area.

Currently I am residing in London, and I have found a small animal vet relatively nearby. She also seems to be the only one in the phone book. I haven't actually gone to her as I've had no emergencies and don't have a car, so I'd like to take the piggers for a check-up when I get home to Mississauga in May.

So, any reccomendations? I have heard of Dr. Samantha Munn in Scarborough, and would use her in absolute need, but I'd like someone closer to me.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Dr. Samantha Munn is the best there is in the GTA, but she is in Scarborough. From what I hear though, worth the trip.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I think I'll consider her for massive emergencies, and try to find someone closer for regular stuff.

I looked her up on a map and she lives sort of near my dad, but it's pretty far even from his place.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Dr. Munn is my regular vet. I travel 4 hours round trip to see her. But her prices are half to a quarter of what the vet down the road charges and her services are 100 times better. Her staff is friendly and knowledgable.

Dr. Munn and her staff are happy to answer questions over the phone or in office. They are very sensitive to the fact that my piggies really do not enjoy a 4 hour trip on the TTC. I have to go there ever 2 months to pick up Spinel's meds and I typically have questions every time.

They are also very accomidating. They give me extra oral syringes for Spinel free of charge since he likes to chew on them. They also go the extra mile to at least attempt to pronouce my pets' exotic names.

I double recommend them for skinnies since Dr.Munn herself has some at home. She is very knowledgable about their special needs.

I just wanted to get that all on the record :)

For a closer vet there is the Animal Hospital of High Park. That's the vet I used to use. They are quite expensive and the receptionist comes off as rude to me. Dr. Munn wanted to fax them a script for humilac and they wouldn't fill it. I find them quite inflexible. In the end what you would spend on gas to get to Dr. Munn's would make it the same price as going there but Dr. Munn's has better service.

But if you need them they are at Dundas and Runnymede in Toronto.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Wow, she does sound rather wonderful!

I actually somehow found the High Park one, I have considered it as well. But after that rundown, I definitely wont' be going there!!

Well, I will continue to search around in Mississauga, and I will let you guys know how it goes :).

My only problem with Dr. Munn is that I'm relying on my mom's car for transportation, so if she's at work, I have to make other arrangements, and I know if it was closer to me I'd have no problem calling a cab or hitching a ride from a friend.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
If you can get a ride to the TTC you can take the Bloor Line all the way to Warden or keep going to the RT and getting off at Lawrence East station.

I typically take the Markham Road bus from Warden there and the bus to Lawrence station back.

I have heard of others that don't like High Park for rodents. They have a few good doctors but it's all luck of the draw who you get. Dr's Dawson and Lane were quick, no nonsense and knew their stuff. It's that lady vet I got (Thompson maybe?) that had me come in twice for nothing. She was going to x-ray Sakura to see if she was pregnant. Dr. Lane stepped in, gave her a good look over and announced "She's empty!". He saved me like $200!

For all I know they could be an awesome cat/dog/bird/rabbit/herp vet. Just not a good cavy clinic IMHO. We have to find a close affordable cat vet close by still. I'd take my cats to Dr. Munn but one is claustrophobic and soils her carrier. :( She has to be on a leash to travel. 4 hours on a leash would drive both of us up the wall.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Wow, are you even allowed to take pets on the TTC? I usually go to union if I'm going to Toronto, maybe I can figure out some kind of arrangement.

How much does she charge you for a check-up?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can take pets on the TTC. I have taken my cat on a leash on the TTC.

There was also the time I saw the 10 pomeranians on the TTC. That was funny!

I can't remember what she charges. I think it's $50. It's the rare visit that only costs the base cost for me. But that's just my bad luck :p

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
$50 is what I was expecting, does she have a two-for-one deal? :p

Another problem I'd have is transportation. My pigger do NOT like being in the same small area :S.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I am not sure about 2 for one. My piggies tend to get sick one after another, not at the same time.

The best person to get in touch with about Dr.Munn is Alice McMallis. She's brought tons of animals to her. Maybe C&K can relay your questions since I am sure Alice is helping her find adopters for her foster pigs.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Maybe C&K can relay your questions since I am sure Alice is helping her find adopters for her foster pigs.

Alice better be helping me, they are her pigs! :p

From everything I have read that Sabriel and Alice have been through, I would never bring my pet to High Park!

If you (need to go see Doctor Munn, I would strongly suggest looking into the go train! I believe there is run between Union and Scarborough Town Centre, which is only a stop or two from Lawrence. It would make traveling much much much faster. I would not ever want to be on a subway from Union all the way to the Lawrence RT station. Did that too many times as a teen, don't want to do it again!

It may be possible to take a Go train from Mississauga right to Scarborough, however you may have a transfer in there.

Another option would be to find someone in Mississauga who is semi competent, that you could call on in an emergency where Dr. Munn is not a possibility. Otherwise, I would definitely make the trip to her office if at all possible!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
You know what, ironically, I've already contacted her!! And she said to use Dr. Munn, hahaha.

Yep, I would do the Go train trip if I had to. But I really hate the idea of taking two piggers that way, I have no idea how I'd carry them both.

I was thinking of calling Dr. Munn and seeing if they can reccommend someone a little closer.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Yep, I would do the Go train trip if I had to. But I really hate the idea of taking two piggers that way, I have no idea how I'd carry them both.

Your best bet is to go an buy a cat carrier, I have a small one, but it is only really good for one guinea pig, however, it is very light weight.

Alice brought the girls over in what looked like either a larger cat carrier or a very small dog carrier, it was good for both, but would be much heavier to carry around.

I know the carrier I got was not that expensive, I think under $20.00.
That is a good idea to see if you can get a good recommendation!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of just getting a plastic, segregated bin, cuz the two piggers would kill each other if they were in somethign that small together.

Well I just gave them a call and they said they'd call me back if they have anyone they can reccommend. I'll keep you guys posted.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Well, that was kind of odd. They referred me to the Britannia Animal Hospital and told me that they don't treat guinea pigs, but they will tell me about someone who does. So I called them, and they told me that they DO treat guinea pigs...I didn't have enough time to think about asking them all the test questions, so I asked if they treat a lot of them and they said yes. So I don't know what to make of that. I guess when I get back to Mississauga I will call around some more, and have my test questions in hand.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of just getting a plastic, segregated bin, cuz the two piggers would kill each other if they were in somethign that small together.

Would you actually be able to carry that though? I would imagine if you are going on trains, up and down stairs, walking fair distances, you are going to want something that is easy to carry. What about getting two cheep small carriers, that way, each arm is balanced out too?

They referred me to the Britannia Animal Hospital and told me that they don't treat guinea pigs, but they will tell me about someone who does. So I called them, and they told me that they DO treat guinea pigs... Of course, nothing wrong with saying, "I called you awhile back to see if you treat guinea pigs, and I know you do, but would you mind answering a few questions for me?"

That is very odd. I am sure if you call back in a few weeks or a month, and just ask "do you treat guinea pigs?" They will not even remember you from before. Might even get a completely different vet to answer your questions!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Indeedy.

I also called the Oakville Humane Society and got a referral to a Burloak Animal Clinic. It's about 20 minutes away from my house. Still a fair distance, but I can get away with driving there and it's not nearly as far as Dr. Munn. I'm trying to work up the nerve to call them with the test questions. I kind of think I should go there and do it in person, because that way they can't get away from me as easily :p.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Okay, for the record, and my own future reference, I found a list of bunny vets on GL, and this Oakville one is listed there. I am emailing my test questions to him. GL also had this one listed:

Southdown Animal Clinic 2106 Truscott Dr. 905-823-3900

This one is practically around the corner from my house, so I will probably make a visit there and see their cavy-cavvyness, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Just to let you all know, you can't bring animals on GO Transit. I looked into it when I wanted to start bringing Spinel with me when I travel to Windosr. We take the train to Milton station and meet my SIL there.

And the ride to Lawrence isn't all that bad. I go all the way from Keele/Dundas West to Lawrence East every 2 months. With a good book and my trusty iPod the time flies by!

C&K

Cavy Slave
And the ride to Lawrence isn't all that bad. I go all the way from Keele/Dundas West to Lawrence East every 2 months. With a good book and my trusty iPod the time flies by!

That must be my problem... the last couple times I have tried to TTC it anywhere, I had two screaming toddlers in tow, and a third who seems hell bent on getting lost from the pack!

From the FAQ page at (broken link removed)
May I bring my pet on the GO Train or GO Bus?
We allow animals in enclosed, secure containers, that do not inconvenience other passengers, on board our trains and buses. Containers are not needed for (broken link removed) required by passengers for independent travel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.